Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
Site Team

Today`s smart chargers really are smart

I keep my trailer plugged in while its here at home 24/7, have for the last 3 years. Before that I used a disconnect switch and did not keep it plugged in because I thought I might cook the battery but my fears were unfounded. I`m still using the original dealer installed group 24 Interstate supposedly ''deep cycle" battery which is now over 6 years old. I checked the water level yesterday and it is full, have NEVER added any water. So with 6 years of service and no water added, hence my thread title, Today`s smart chargers really are smart.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #2

The converter/charger in my Jayco is definitely better than the one in my 2008 Winnebago Sightseer. I kept the Winnebago plugged in but had to top off the battery water every 3 months. The batteries lasted for 6 years before they would no longer hold a charge. The Jayco batteries have not needed water yet and I've had it for 8 months. I suspect that the batteries may not need added water for their lifetime.

That said, your 6 yo batteries are at the end of their life. I've taken to replacing my auto batteries every 5 years while they're still good so I won't get stuck with a dead battery unexpectedly. The few extra dollars I spend to replace a good battery is worth it in that I don't have to deal with a dead battery. House batteries aren't so critical unless you boondock a lot, so don't really need to be replaced until they quit holding a charge.,
Old 11-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
The converter/charger in my Jayco is definitely better than the one in my 2008 Winnebago Sightseer. I kept the Winnebago plugged in but had to top off the battery water every 3 months. The batteries lasted for 6 years before they would no longer hold a charge. The Jayco batteries have not needed water yet and I've had it for 8 months. I suspect that the batteries may not need added water for their lifetime.

That said, your 6 yo batteries are at the end of their life. I've taken to replacing my auto batteries every 5 years while they're still good so I won't get stuck with a dead battery unexpectedly. The few extra dollars I spend to replace a good battery is worth it in that I don't have to deal with a dead battery. House batteries aren't so critical unless you boondock a lot, so don't really need to be replaced until they quick holding a charge.,
Yeah I know 6 years is nearing the end, the longest I`ve had one is 7 years in a boat. I don`t boondock just use hookups so its not a biggie but replacement is looming. The point is the chargers will not fry your battery or let it die.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #4

I think the smart charger in my Jayco is smarter than the smart charger in my Winnebago. Course it's 7 years newer too so that may be part of the difference.