Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Tongue weight + WD hitch weight

About the time I'm comfortable with my setup, another issue pops up. Here's my current question. I've got a Pathfinder with a limit of 600# tongue weight. Next week a Feather Sport X17C with my name on it will be built in Middlebury. Overall the trailer is lite, it should come out weighing about 3025# with a max of 3500#. But it has a tongue weight of 475#. I've been researching WD hitches with sway control. I'm leaning toward a Reese strait line dual cam system. In doing so and evaluating purchasing/shipping options I noticed that the hitch components will weigh about 110#. That obviously puts me very near the limit of the Pathfinder. Does the hitch distribute the tongue weight, which it now becomes part of, so that the net effect is less than the straight addition makes it appear?

With all the research I've done, all the lessons I've learned from others on this and other forums, I have to wonder how many combos at campgrounds are safe. There's a lot of opportunity to mess up and have an unsafe combination.

Trout34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
I find it hard to believe that the hitch assembly is 110#. I haven't weighed our equalizer and bars and sway control but I am sure it would only be about 60#.
2011 Eagle 330RLTS with just about every option.
Dodge SRW 1 ton Cummins powered.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote