Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2016, 07:03 AM   #11

That truck is probably 2,000# heavier than the trailer so you should not even "need" a wdh. How does the truck drive when empty? Do you have to constantly correct the steering while going down the road? Does it seem to wander around in your lane even when not towing? If any of these happen you need to fix the steering in the truck first. My 2003 Ram 2500 was horrible towing a Jay Feather EXP 232 which was around 5,000# until I had new ball joints installed for a 2nd time in 20k miles!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #12

In doing some checking, the load rating for the present hitch is 1000# MGTWR. So the hitch is sufficient. And it sounds as though no wdh will stop the push/pull from passing big rigs.
Chrislori, as far as speed it depends on situation, but I guess, generally between 60-65 is what i drive. Not in a hurry but sometimes I kick it up a notch.
Tires are load range E but maybe could be inflated closer to max than they are. Max is 80 psi, but run at 70 psi.
Personally, I think the issue is DW. She, admittedly is a terrible traveler.
A second sway bar has been suggested but can't find a LH eaz-lift unit. Would a Husky brand work? If not, I may just buy a new unit.
Thanks!

"God looks out for the stupid, so I keep Him pretty busy"

2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel in proper Purdue gold and black (the Coally Roller)
2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #13
Site Team

Ear plugs work for me!

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
That truck is probably 2,000# heavier than the trailer so you should not even "need" a wdh. How does the truck drive when empty? Do you have to constantly correct the steering while going down the road? Does it seem to wander around in your lane even when not towing? If any of these happen you need to fix the steering in the truck first. My 2003 Ram 2500 was horrible towing a Jay Feather EXP 232 which was around 5,000# until I had new ball joints installed for a 2nd time in 20k miles!
True, probably don't "technically" need a wdh except I already had one and DW insists it is necessary. Over the past 2 years every, & I mean EVERY, steering/suspension part on the front end has been replaced. Truck drives fine. As I said, I think the problem is in the passenger seat. And, yes, I've told her that. But, if she thinks a new hitch will help, then so be it.

2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Old 07-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman View Post
So the hitch is sufficient. And it sounds as though no wdh will stop the push/pull from passing big rigs.
Actually a ProPride or Hensley stops the push/pull from passing rigs. My ProPride makes my combo absolutely stable...trailer weighs 8500# and I pull with a Tundra that weighs 7,000#. I get NO movement from passing trucks. Best $2500 I ever spent for towing!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Ear plugs work for me!
Amen to that. She tends to read or play games on her phone, especially when in traffic, construction, mountains, ......or moving!

2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Old 07-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Actually a ProPride or Hensley stops the push/pull from passing rigs. My ProPride makes my combo absolutely stable...trailer weighs 8500# and I pull with a Tundra that weighs 7,000#. I get NO movement from passing trucks. Best $2500 I ever spent for towing!
Wow! For $2500 that sucker better hook itself up, as well! I'll look at them, too, though.

2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Old 07-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #18

Sway bar may provide some help, but if you are dealing with lateral back and forth sway the best advice has been given (above).

That said the sway bar is to cheap to not install on the rear. I run Hellwig BIG WIG's, doubt you need one on the front, but for sure on the rear will increase your safety envelope and handling. In addition, buy some new shocks. I am a #1 fan of Rancho RS 9000 XL adjustables. I have run these on all my cars since 2002 and they will make a difference as they control rebound at each wheel. Again, too cheap not to do.
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #19

Well, we had a very nice trip home today. Everything went smoothly. Before leaving I checked my set up and it was about as close to perfect as you can get. True, the trailer was 3/8" off level, but everything else was spot on. A suggestion made on another forum "fixed" the problem. When in traffic, I rode the white line, allowing the air more room and barely affecting our unit (or my wife), providing a pleasant trip.
Thanks for all the help!

2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Old 07-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #20

I'll second this. I bought my Hensley about 1999. I have never had any sway or suffered the affects of passing semis. It wasn't quite that expensive, I don't think, when I purchased but I've never had any sway. Latest combo is a Tahoe towing TT about 6900#.

Quote:

respwall is offline   Reply With Quote