Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Too much movement for mama

The complaint is that the trailer moves too much going down the road and is affected by the passing vehicles. So, since we've only been pulling this trailer for 4 years , I'm looking for help from more experienced campers.
The details:
Dodge 2500 Cummins 4wd shortbed
2013 Jayco 264BH
EAZ-Lift weight distribution hitch with sway bar - bought when we had a Jayco 17C and a 1500 Silverado
Truck tires are brand new - 80 psi max inflated to 70 psi
Camper tires 50 psi - inflated to 50 psi

Thoughts....run sway bar tighter? add a second sway bar? new weight distribution hitch? anxiety pills for wife? deal with it because nothing is wrong?
Am I missing something?
"God looks out for the stupid, so I keep Him pretty busy"

2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel in proper Purdue gold and black (the Coally Roller)
2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #2

Since you bought the hitch for a trailer with a lower tongue weight than the current trailer, I would look at getting a WDH that meets the tongue weight specifications for the new trailer. I'm pulling a 29BHS with a 1500 Chevy. I'm within the limits of the truck and have the Equal-i-zer hitch and wow, what a difference that makes.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:27 PM   #3

In what way is the trailer "moving"? Is the truck and trailer moving as one unit, as that is still normal with an integrated wdh. Or is the trailer moving seperate from the truck?

I guess my first suggestion would be to verify that you have the correct rated wd bars for the "new" rig. If they are undersized, new wdh with integrated sway control. If you went by the "brochure" dry tw, a trip to the scales may not be a bad idea to get your loaded tw. This can also tell you if you have the proper tw, or if you need more tw which will prevent sway. You generally want 12-15% of your total trailer weight for tw. This does vary a little from trailer to trailer, but having to little can cause sway issues.

If you have the proper rated wd bars, and the proper loaded tw, try tightening the sway bar. The sway bar a little more. I have only used one once to get a trailer home, so not real familiar with them as to the "fine tuning". If that doesn't work as hoped, it would be cheaper to try a second side mounted sway bar vs a new wdh system. By if you want a new wdh it is a good reason to get one!

Hope this helps some.

Good luck!!!

Another thought, did it do this before the new tires??? Sometimes tires need to "break in" for towing as they can be a little squirrelly for the first few (thousand) miles or so.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #4

Bigger trailer than the "old" one... Step up to a Reese WDH Duel-Cam Sway Control... With that much truck, pulling that little trailer, you shouldn't even know that it's back there, unless you try to parallel park.....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
Bigger trailer than the "old" one... Step up to a Reese WDH Duel-Cam Sway Control... With that much truck, pulling that little trailer, you shouldn't even know that it's back there, unless you try to parallel park.....
+1

Even though I use the Andersen WDH, if I were to pull a heavy trailer again, the Reese Dual cam is the way I would go.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #6

I suggest you check out the EQUALIZER brand 4-point sway control WDH. This is the American Original and has won numerous awards.
I've used this type for many years and its fabulous. Easy set-up, no drilling into frame, not complicated like some others, trailer can be hitched/unhitched at an angle which makes it convenient and reversing of trailer with no problems,
Check out the very informative website and videos to see just how great it is.

Equal-i-zerĀ® Hitch - The ā€œAmerican Originalā€ with 4-Point Sway Controlā„¢ and Weight Distribution
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:31 AM   #7

Equalizer 10K will fix you up.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:30 AM   #8

As usual, great help and information from fellow campers.
need-a-vacation: The truck/trailer move together IMO. And I'll have to research the present WDH specs to know for sure as I bought it in 2010. I'll also need to research how to fine tune the sway bar. On a long ago trip I found the ball had broken off from the mounting plate, so had to weld that back on. Ask DW about previous tires possibly being better...she can't tell. I do know we went from aggressive tread oversized tires to OEM size tires with less aggressive tread, but also a higher load rating (D to E) and actually have a couple thousand miles on them with this trip.
Fire Instructor and Murff: I agree with you 1000%. Truck weighs at least 1000# more than trailer.
When all is said and done, after checking specs, I may look at one of the suggestions for a new wdh.
Thank you!

2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Old 07-24-2016, 06:01 AM   #9

Even when set correctly and not experiencing sway or porpoising you will still feel that semi pass you by just due to the wind and dynamics of that. A good correctly rated WDH will help a ton, but again you may still feel that swoosh.
What speed do you generally pull at? Do you feel it more at other speeds?
I run a F250 pulling a 31RLDS. We use a Equalizer 12K WDH and it took some time and work to get it setup correctly but now that it is dialed in there is no more white knuckle driving. I do still feel that semi and get a little puckered when they are flying by, but in reality it is all good.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #10

Soul,

If the truck and trailer are moving (more or less) as one unit, not a lot you may be able to due as Chris mentioned. The displaced air has to go somewhere.

Double check the tires for the proper load rating. I believe the stock tires should have been a LR E, and technically any tire ever installed should have been an E also....

Side question for others who have used a side mounted sway bar: Can they "wear out"??? Though Soul did post it seems the truck and trailer are moving as one, so I don't believe this would be the case as the trailer would (normally) be moving seperately from the truck then..... Just a crazy though!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:03 AM   #11

That truck is probably 2,000# heavier than the trailer so you should not even "need" a wdh. How does the truck drive when empty? Do you have to constantly correct the steering while going down the road? Does it seem to wander around in your lane even when not towing? If any of these happen you need to fix the steering in the truck first. My 2003 Ram 2500 was horrible towing a Jay Feather EXP 232 which was around 5,000# until I had new ball joints installed for a 2nd time in 20k miles!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #12

In doing some checking, the load rating for the present hitch is 1000# MGTWR. So the hitch is sufficient. And it sounds as though no wdh will stop the push/pull from passing big rigs.
Chrislori, as far as speed it depends on situation, but I guess, generally between 60-65 is what i drive. Not in a hurry but sometimes I kick it up a notch.
Tires are load range E but maybe could be inflated closer to max than they are. Max is 80 psi, but run at 70 psi.
Personally, I think the issue is DW. She, admittedly is a terrible traveler.
A second sway bar has been suggested but can't find a LH eaz-lift unit. Would a Husky brand work? If not, I may just buy a new unit.
Thanks!

2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Old 07-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #13
Site Team

Ear plugs work for me!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
That truck is probably 2,000# heavier than the trailer so you should not even "need" a wdh. How does the truck drive when empty? Do you have to constantly correct the steering while going down the road? Does it seem to wander around in your lane even when not towing? If any of these happen you need to fix the steering in the truck first. My 2003 Ram 2500 was horrible towing a Jay Feather EXP 232 which was around 5,000# until I had new ball joints installed for a 2nd time in 20k miles!
True, probably don't "technically" need a wdh except I already had one and DW insists it is necessary. Over the past 2 years every, & I mean EVERY, steering/suspension part on the front end has been replaced. Truck drives fine. As I said, I think the problem is in the passenger seat. And, yes, I've told her that. But, if she thinks a new hitch will help, then so be it.

2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Old 07-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman View Post
So the hitch is sufficient. And it sounds as though no wdh will stop the push/pull from passing big rigs.
Actually a ProPride or Hensley stops the push/pull from passing rigs. My ProPride makes my combo absolutely stable...trailer weighs 8500# and I pull with a Tundra that weighs 7,000#. I get NO movement from passing trucks. Best $2500 I ever spent for towing!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Ear plugs work for me!
Amen to that. She tends to read or play games on her phone, especially when in traffic, construction, mountains, ......or moving!

2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Old 07-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Actually a ProPride or Hensley stops the push/pull from passing rigs. My ProPride makes my combo absolutely stable...trailer weighs 8500# and I pull with a Tundra that weighs 7,000#. I get NO movement from passing trucks. Best $2500 I ever spent for towing!
Wow! For $2500 that sucker better hook itself up, as well! I'll look at them, too, though.

2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Old 07-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #18

Sway bar may provide some help, but if you are dealing with lateral back and forth sway the best advice has been given (above).

That said the sway bar is to cheap to not install on the rear. I run Hellwig BIG WIG's, doubt you need one on the front, but for sure on the rear will increase your safety envelope and handling. In addition, buy some new shocks. I am a #1 fan of Rancho RS 9000 XL adjustables. I have run these on all my cars since 2002 and they will make a difference as they control rebound at each wheel. Again, too cheap not to do.
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #19

Well, we had a very nice trip home today. Everything went smoothly. Before leaving I checked my set up and it was about as close to perfect as you can get. True, the trailer was 3/8" off level, but everything else was spot on. A suggestion made on another forum "fixed" the problem. When in traffic, I rode the white line, allowing the air more room and barely affecting our unit (or my wife), providing a pleasant trip.
Thanks for all the help!

2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Old 07-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #20

I'll second this. I bought my Hensley about 1999. I have never had any sway or suffered the affects of passing semis. It wasn't quite that expensive, I don't think, when I purchased but I've never had any sway. Latest combo is a Tahoe towing TT about 6900#.

Quote:
respwall is offline   Reply With Quote