Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #21

I did talk to National General Insurance and they would not put anything in writing - they basically told me to trust them that what they put in writing was not what they meant, that it was part of their blanket statement. Obviously that did not give me any warm fuzzies so we canceled that policy and went to Progressive through our agent that covers our home and autos. Their policy is straight forward with the wording of what they cover. It cost about $100 more per year but we were ok with that. Thanks!
Garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #22

That is what I was told as well but that is not what they have in writing.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:04 PM   #23

Thank you for summarizing - I am sorry I didn't reply sooner, life got busy with the holidays. As I replied to an earlier comment, after many phone calls with Nat Gen agents who could not clarify their wording, just kept telling me to trust what they were saying, we cancelled that policy and went with Progressive through our trusted agent who handles our home and auto policies. Our new policy does clearly state they will replace a total loss with a new 5th wheel our model year or newer for the first 5 years. We are happy with the new policy - thanks for all of your input!
Old 12-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #24

Total loss replacement

Garyk - not to put too fine a point on it, can you describe what reimbursement you receive AFTER that 5-year period ends (and perhaps as importantly, does that additional $100/year increase annually) - just for those of us who keep our RV's (of any ilk) more than 5 years? Is there any provision for keeping that TOTAL REPLACEMENT rider and, if so, what would the price increase be? If no provision for continuation for TOTAL REPLACEMENT cost exists in your Progressive policy, how do depreciation and policy costs affect the contract. I apologize for being so anal, but your experience with all this will/may certainly influence me (and perhaps others?) in searching for decent and lasting RV insurance. TX - Jeff
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:56 PM   #25

Jeff, after the first 5 years, our coverage changes from total replacement to the original purchase price minus our deductible - for the 2nd 5 years if there is a total loss, they will pay us the amount we agreed upon as the total purchase price when we bought the RV. Also, with the insurance companies we checked the Total Replacement coverage was only available through the full year after the model year of the new RV purchase (ie our RV is a 2016 so we could purchase this policy through 2017). Gary
Old 12-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #26

Ins replacement

TX Garyk - that provides me with informed questions to ask the various insurance companies. Thanks again. - Jeff
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:25 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyk View Post
Jeff, after the first 5 years, our coverage changes from total replacement to the original purchase price minus our deductible - for the 2nd 5 years if there is a total loss, they will pay us the amount we agreed upon as the total purchase price when we bought the RV. Also, with the insurance companies we checked the Total Replacement coverage was only available through the full year after the model year of the new RV purchase (ie our RV is a 2016 so we could purchase this policy through 2017). Gary
This is also the coverage we have.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, replacement coverage, total loss coverage