Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Tow dolly good idea, or bad?

I want to tow a small car. I have a chance to get a VW rabbit, but it is front wheel drive, so is a tow dolley necessary? It is a stick shift. Or should I look for a rear wheel drive, with a stick shift, and use a tow bar hooked to the car. Thanks for any input. Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #2

Check manufacture specs for a model that can be towed 4 flat (4 wheels down, no mods). Don't just assume every manual trans car is ok. Tow dollys are ok if you you already have a small car that needs one, but they are cumbersome and a PIA when not in use.

I towed a 95 Geo Tracker for 10 years with my old motorhome. The 4x4's with manual hubs could be towed 4 flat w/o mods. At around 2200 - 2300lbs, it was an ideal toad, but there were certain manufacturer steps to follow.

There are all sorts of products for mods like trans pumps, driveshaft disconnects, axle locks but my thinking is keep it simple and safe.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #3

In 2007 we bought a 2008 Hyundai Elantra, but it didn't tow 4 down, but the DW liked it, end of story. So I bought a Roadmaster tow dolly w/electric brakes & a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. Towed it all over the country ~75K miles, no problems, the Ford V10 pulled it fine. Now with the New Seneca, I have to turn on the rear view camera to see if it's still there!! Once you get used to towing it, it's no problem, just somewhat wider turns, slightly longer stopping distance, but a bear to back up, the dolly wants to go where the dolly wants to go.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #4

My dad towed a 2WD Ford Ranger with a tow dolly. He had to back it on and it worked fine. He said the dolly was a PIA and bought a driveline disconnect and flat towed it for seven more years. We just bought a Honda CRV so we can tow it with just a Blue Ox hitch.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

All setups need extreme care to execute correctly and safetly. Friend with class Bus has pulled a colorado GM truck for at least 50K miles over the last 5 years without the slighest problem. He's an experienced veteran with towing w/ all 4 on the ground so I can't believe he screwed something up, but on a recent trip while traveling in ND, he didn't feel a thing but a driver passed him and flagged him to the curb. Truck was burning, lots of smoke. Long story but the tran and transfer case was smoked and bent in strange ways. Apparently something cause the thing to engage and it trashed itself. Truck is now heading to the junk yard and he's ordered a new one.

Dollies or 4 down all have their benefits and demons. Pick the right car and set up and always double check everything.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote