Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
Trading in a new trailer?

Has anyone here ever traded in a nearly new trailer, just a few months old? How badly did you get dinged on the value?

Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
It happens more often than you think. How much it ends up costing you depends partially on how much you paid in the first place. Look up your unit on the NADA RV guide, look to see what used trailers like yours are advertised for then subtract about 20 percent that will bring you close to what the dealer can give you if it is truly a great clean trailer and a model that is in demand. This is opinion and not even a scientific guess. On a different line if you are not happy with the trailer now it will only cost you more to keep it so there is never a better time to trade for what better fits your needs than right now. By personal experience I know what you are going through.

Neil & Karol 2015 Seneca HJ
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You might want to sell it privately to give you a better value than a dealer will for trade in.
By the dealer you will for sure loose 20% or more.
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-6500 lbs.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
The NADA RV guide is just that a guide. The dealers use a bit of a different formula in conjunction with the NADA RV guide and it based on what a bank would consider as a "loan" value to determine the value of your trailer.

I would suggest calling a bank loan officer and see what amount they would loan someone to purchase your trailer and make a decision from there. It would be hard for someone who is looking to purchase the trailer with a bank loan and you have it priced more than a bank is willing to loan money for it.

As others have suggested---selling outright yourself will usually provide better results.

Good Luck!!
2015 F250 6.7L Lariat Crew Cab
2017 Jayco Jay flight 28BHBE
Equalizer 14K Brand WDH
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
I've seen it happen many times and done it once myself. There is no reason to keep a trailer your unhappy with. Yeah, your going to pay some stupid tax, but then owning a RV was never an investment to begin with.

Your in Oregon so no sales tax differential to consider. I'd talk to your dealer and see what they are willing to do and then throw an ad on craigslist and see if it sells.

I'm curious what your going from and what your interested in.
2009 F350 CC LB 4WD
2017 Jayco 355MBQS
Rustysocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I'm curious what your going from and what your interested in.
I would be going from my X213 to a 23BHM, 23MBH, or 24MBH. Our goal is the same as it was originally -- small trailer that can fit in most of the smaller, more remote campgrounds in the PNW, while being as comfortable as possible for two adults, two kids, and a 70 lb dog. Now I'm pretty sure I really do want the slide-out on the side, and I want a bed that I can get out of from the side, instead of crawling up and into from the foot.

There's a good chance we'll just suck it up and deal with the X213. I'm spending a chunk of change on an RV pad in a couple weeks, and truth be told, the X213 is still *much* better than a tent . We had planned to keep it four or five years, reevaluate our real-life usage pattern and decide if we wanted something bigger or not. I might just stick with that rather than piss away another 5 grand to rearrange the floor layout a little.
2016 X213 ⇝ Eq10K ⇝ 2014 EcoBeast
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
You are going to get hammered on the trade. I bought my new fifth wheel 2 years ago and paid just under $70k Canadian. We thought about upgrading to a Pinnacle or a Seneca this spring and the dealer we purchased from offered us just a little over $40k on trade. We kept the fiver.....
2013 Ram Longhorn 3500 Crew Cab 6.7 Turbo Diesel, Aisin Transmission.
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 351 RSTS, Mor/Ryde Suspension and Pin Box, 17.5" wheel upgrade, 18k Pull Rite hitch.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #8
To us, it is all relative in regards to what you will "lose".

Of course, there is the money part of things but if you are in participating in the RV lifestyle, one undeniable truth that somewhere along the way, it is going to "cost" you. In this regard, we are losing about 30 percent on trade.

Why would we take such a loss you ask? Well, there are 2 "major" reasons, and probably another dozen or so lesser ones that I won't list here.

The first is that after living in the trailer for the time we actually were able to, we quickly found out how much our "logical" thinking was off when we decided on this particular floor plan and what we felt we could "live with". We were trying to save some money, but in hindsight, it will end up costing us. We now have a MUCH better understanding of what we not only "want" but "require" in a floor plan and features, which of course costs even more money. But in the end, we know that we will be satisfied with the new one we have chosen and that we have no one to blame but ourselves for trying to cheap out in the first place.

Second, but more important to us was that our current trailer has had failure after failure (a few things more than once) which required our unit to spend almost 3/4 of it's warranty coverage, sitting at the dealership. And there is still an intermittent electrical issue that no one has been able to nail down. But in our opinion, it is a serious enough of an issue that we just are NOT willing to "live with", literally!

So given that we are out of warranty, we are on our own and neither of us feel safe in it, or do we have any confidence that we won't end up spending more time and money trying to keep this one in a usable condition than we will lose on trade in, our choice was clear for us.

So only you and yours can really make the decision as to whether you feel you "gain" more than what you will "lose" and that isn't always about the "money". Everybody's situation is different.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 6.0L SRW
2017 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS (on the way)
blujay40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
I've done it twice now. Unfortunately it's pay to play, and enjoying a trailer that is well suited for the family is most important. The depreciation stings for sure.
2017 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Crew Cab Long Bed w/6.7 CTD & Aisin
2015 Eagle 284BHBE Premier
milw156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
I've done it twice too. Unless you private sell, there is no secret sauce. You'll get hammered. And not in a good 'Daddy soda' kind of way.

2015 Greyhawk 29MV

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote