Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapel View Post
My trailer tires say 65 PSI.. I usually put only 60 PSI since when I was putting in the 65 I had two blow outs. I was concerned that the heat from travel increased the pressure to blow out. I am concerned since I see that the information on trailer tires listed on this site states that under infatuation is a cause for tire failure. Am I under inflating?
I once had a spare trailer tire on the back of my old trailer outside the house just blow up because it was in the sun. Sounded like a Gun Shot.
What does the side of your trailer say?
I'd inflate to the pressure listed on the side of your trailer.
And while some of us can get pretty OCD on this forum about lots of things, I sort of doubt that most here have an under-infatuation with tires...more likely an over-infatuation!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:51 AM   #62

At only 60PSI, your tires could definitely be underinflated. I've never had a tire blow out when inflated to what the tire sidewall says is the max PSI. Under inflation is the worst enemy of tires.

Quote:
My trailer tires say 65 PSI.. I usually put only 60 PSI since when I was putting in the 65 I had two blow outs. I was concerned that the heat from travel increased the pressure to blow out. I am concerned since I see that the information on trailer tires listed on this site states that under infatuation is a cause for tire failure. Am I under inflating?
I once had a spare trailer tire on the back of my old trailer outside the house just blow up because it was in the sun. Sounded like a Gun Shot.
Atlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:05 AM   #63
Site Team

Under inflation causes heat buildup and excess speed makes it worse, I always run mine at the max cold inflation number with the exception being on my truck which is stated on the door post.

Now if you increase your trailer tires to a higher load range the camper tire sticker in no longer valid but I still use the max cold psi figure on the tire.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:30 AM   #64

Scapel,

As others have mentioned you could be under inflated, if it's hard to say for sure as it is based on loaded weight. Most of us may actually run a little high based on weight, but it's better due to less heat build up.

As for the blow outs you had, how old were the tires? The average life of a trailer tire is 3-5yrs before dry rot decreases the capacity of the tire beyond safe use.

Jay67,

Consider looking at the Carlisle HD's or the new GY Endurance which is an U.S. made tire. Not sure how the Taskmasters are for speed rating. The HD's and Endurance are actually speed rated above 65mph like a lot of the st tires are. One is a M rating, the other a N. think M is 81mph, don't recall the N rating at the moment.

Going up a load range is a good idea. Just verify your rims are rated for the higher air pressure.should be stamp d somewhere on the rim (backside or inside) either with a max psi or weight rating.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Scapel,

As others have mentioned you could be under inflated, if it's hard to say for sure as it is based on loaded weight. Most of us may actually run a little high based on weight, but it's better due to less heat build up.

As for the blow outs you had, how old were the tires? The average life of a trailer tire is 3-5yrs before dry rot decreases the capacity of the tire beyond safe use.

Jay67,

Consider looking at the Carlisle HD's or the new GY Endurance which is an U.S. made tire. Not sure how the Taskmasters are for speed rating. The HD's and Endurance are actually speed rated above 65mph like a lot of the st tires are. One is a M rating, the other a N. think M is 81mph, don't recall the N rating at the moment.

Going up a load range is a good idea. Just verify your rims are rated for the higher air pressure.should be stamp d somewhere on the rim (backside or inside) either with a max psi or weight rating.
I wish to thank everyone for their input. It has given me confidence to inflate my tires to the maximum cold inflation pressure of 65 psi.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #66

I don't remember how old the blowout tires were, but probably old
Old 06-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #67

Quote:
I wish to thank everyone for their input. It has given me confidence to inflate my tires to the maximum cold inflation pressure of 65 psi.
I don't remember how old the blowout tires were, but probably older than I thought.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #68

Yes, I inflate to max press as noted on the tire sidewall....EXCEPT...if the trailer is well under the tire capacity. On a previous trailer it was rated for C load tires at 55psi. I went to D range and kept them at 65psi (max was 80). Note that I did check a load chart on the tires to verify the proper tire pressures. I then went above that pressure but stayed within the max limits of the tires.

A cargo trailer we had was rated for 2500lb. I only had 100lb worth of cargo in it so I'd deflate the tires to around 35psi.

As stated above, excess speed and under inflation will kill your tires, even if new. If the tires are older then you are running a risk. It used to be We considered tire life of 7 years but check for cracking frequently. I had one set that went 9 years before I replaced them. Note: they were not running near full load capacity.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:57 PM   #69

Next time I need tires I will be replacing the 16" tires with new wheels and 19.5" low profile tires from boar. This will eliminate 99% of the problems discussed in this thread.

http://www.boarwheel.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnik78 View Post
Next time I need tires I will be replacing the 16" tires with new wheels and 19.5" low profile tires from boar. This will eliminate 99% of the problems discussed in this thread.

http://www.boarwheel.com/

Great idea. 19.5's are bulletproof and incredibly common

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:55 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
Great idea. 19.5's are bulletproof and incredibly common

Yup. The initial cost of buying the rims would be a little steep but then you could run real trailer tires that will last 4 times as long as the junk st tires.

6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #72

I have learned about tires on the travel trailer from this thread. We just got back from a three week trip and 4200 miles. The tire pressure were consistent at about 47 lbs. I checked the pressure before we towed the trailer out of the camp site, Walmart or Pilot. I will inflate them to 50lbs. like it says on the sidewall. We did not have any trouble, but maybe we were just lucky. They are the tires that Jayco put on from the factory for the 2016 model year.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #73

Airstream now provides E-rated 16" Michelin LT Light Truck tires on all its new 30 footers. Read in latest trailer Life I think page 6.Noticing more and more truck tires on campers in Arizona. Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #74

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The factory tires seems to stand up better more North because of the outside temperature. With proper inflation and proper alignment of the axles the China tires are mostly OK (not the best). Speed and outside heat is a killer for tires. I run on Westlake tires and they do OK for me.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #75

This spring I replaced my 2012 tires with some Carlisle HDs and upped the load rating from C to D. C-rated max inflation is 50 psi and D-rated max is 65 psi. The tire store who installed the tires was quite reluctant to inflate to 65 psi, and when I was on the phone with TST (I also bought a TPMS this summer) they also suggested that I don't inflate to max PSI. Their suggestion was to keep it in the 60 PSI range. I am not really that worried about their load carrying because we are well under that, but it sounds like a higher PSI would mean cooler tires. Who/what do I listen to?!?!
flintsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
This spring I replaced my 2012 tires with some Carlisle HDs and upped the load rating from C to D. C-rated max inflation is 50 psi and D-rated max is 65 psi. The tire store who installed the tires was quite reluctant to inflate to 65 psi, and when I was on the phone with TST (I also bought a TPMS this summer) they also suggested that I don't inflate to max PSI. Their suggestion was to keep it in the 60 PSI range. I am not really that worried about their load carrying because we are well under that, but it sounds like a higher PSI would mean cooler tires. Who/what do I listen to?!?!
When I was looking for new tires, I called both Jayco and Dexter (axle company). Jayco said our 13" rims were rated for 65psi. Dexter rep said run max tire pressure on the tire. Discount tire said run max tire pressure. I run max tire pressure, and have not seen any tire wear issues.

I am running the same tire.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
When I was looking for new tires, I called both Jayco and Dexter (axle company). Jayco said our 13" rims were rated for 65psi. Dexter rep said run max tire pressure on the tire. Discount tire said run max tire pressure. I run max tire pressure, and have not seen any tire wear issues.

I am running the same tire.
X2

I've always ran my TT tires at Max psi. And like Jagiven, never have had an issue. Goodyear, Sailun and Carlisle recommend max psi.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #78

When I had to replace mine because of age (one blew out) I also went up from 13 to 14" and up to load range c (1760#). A single will support the trailer and with having double axles I know I'm in decent shape. I always run just a few pounds low of max pressure just because I can - no real reason.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:17 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
If you want to be anal about something, let it be your tires.

Check the pressure at least once a week. Monitor the pressure and temperature somehow, TPMS, good pressure gauge and a laser temperature gauge to check tire and hub temps when you stop while traveling.

A good physical inspection is also a habit that may pay off someday in a big way. A tread separation is very obvious if you know what to look for.

Any time your vehicle is worked on, check the tire pressure before leaving the dealership. They are famous for rotating tires and not adjusting the pressure.
I see folks on here mentioning using laser temperature gauge to check tire and hub temps. How do I find out what the temps should be to know if they are running hot? I don't think I have ever seen this information published in the trailer manuals.
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:32 AM   #80
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
I see folks on here mentioning using laser temperature gauge to check tire and hub temps. How do I find out what the temps should be to know if they are running hot? I don't think I have ever seen this information published in the trailer manuals.
I used to use and still carry a laser temp gauge. The temps that you read with it are subjective in that they can vary depending on many factors. I used to check all of them on the same general area and did not get concerned unless there was a 10-15 degree difference.

Now that I use a TSP TPMS, it gives me a real time readout of each tires PSI and Temp. The info from Michelin that they use as a self destruct temp is 153 degrees. That what the alarm is set for.

Many things can affect the displayed temp but the main ones are speed and low tire pressure.
On my TSPS, I monitor the individual temps and they usually track within 10-15 degrees. If I see them drift higher, I slow down and closely monitor the psi. A dragging brake shoe can also cause the temp of the tire to go up.

IMO, I would not feel safe w/o it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote