Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #51
For those of you who subscribe to Trailer Life, Bob Livingston (IIRC) did a small write-up on Maxxis tires in this month's edition.

It was a good article, and I already have Maxxis tires on my trailer, so I didn't have to be "sold" on them. Two takeaways I got:

1) They're made in Thailand, but under close supervision by Maxxis, so quality is controlled to a much greater degree than other Asian plants where they're free to stamp out whatever they want under VERY loose control by the obscure name on the sidewall.

2) They're tested in excess of 80 mph at their load rating, but are "rated" at 65 mph to respect a trade treaty.

I like my Maxxis tires so far, and when the time comes I will likely replace with the same. The LR E tires I put on my rig are technically overrated for my trailer and offer good peace of mind. I would still recommend them.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #52
Thank you Camper Bob, this good information. I will feel confident to buy Maxxis tires for my trailer. I know there are factories around the world that make good products and I agree that many in China produce inferior products without any environmental or quality concerns. A guy doesn't want to take any chances with his trailer tires! Have a great day!

Gtoglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #53
I have a White Hawk 27dsrl and it has 14" wheels. Did you install larger wheels when you went with the Maxxis? I am considering 15" wheels and getting Maxxis 8008 tires LRE. Thank you in advance.
mikeo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #54
My trailer (Eagle 266RKS) has 15" wheels. If your trailer has 14" wheels I think I would just look for Maxxis, Goodyear or Carlisle tires to fit your
existing wheels. I suppose if you really want to go with bigger wheels you should first check to make sure you have frame and fender clearance. Good luck.
Gtoglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #55
My new JayFlight has rainier ST, load range D tires. I inflate to 65lbs and check monthly and before each trip. Three questions: (1) Is it wise to purchase a wireless add on too monitor tire pressure and heat while driving? (2) What should be the maximum heat allowable? and (3) Since I'm looking at a couple of trips in excess of 5,000 miles do I need to replace the tires if I already have 5,000 miles on them?

Richard49 is offline   Reply With Quote