Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Travel Log / Trip Diary

Just curious what people are using to keep track of their camping/rv'ing trips? (If you do)

An app or good ol' fashion paper & pencil?

I would like to keep track of some basic information of our destinations, rates, site we stay at, mileage, maintenance, comments / notes for future reference, photos, etc. I don't need the extra frills of GPS recording my actual route taken or social media feeds.

I would prefer to use an app for this on my phone, but not against paper and pencil. Let's hear what you use and any special reasons it works best for you.

Also, does anyone keep a folder or binder with campground maps from places that you've stayed? Do you mark the site(s) you've stayed at on the maps?

Thank You in Advance!!
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #2

I've kept a daily journal since we purchased our first MH in 2005 using MS Word. I just include little tidbits about where we've been, what we've seen, where we stayed, and who was along for the ride. I don't always include site numbers. I try to take pictures of anything of interest at destinations, not so much where we've camped. I used to take pics of the rig in the sites, but that gets boring so I no longer include those. I've recently changed to using a Chromebook so now I'm using Google Docs for my latest journal.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

I wish I would have started something in the past. The only way I can really keep track now is to look at my photos and google maps. I use Flickr as my online photo storage and it will sort by date of the upload, and it has a feature on the web version that will show where the photos were taken. I also put a mark on google maps and save it, which will allow me to go back and find the places I have been or where I want to go in the future. This allows me to login to google maps from any device and the stars will show up of those places. Here is my current map - been to most of the places in CA/AZ, heading on a cross country trip next summer...
Attached Thumbnails
Google Map 11-21-2015.jpg  

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Site Team

We keep a small bound book in our truck. We record the date, start mileage every time we tow and the arrival mileage and nights spent at that location. Also the location and a small amount of info in the campground, like water supply taste and anything else that may be needed for future reference. We also keep a folder in the camper with campground maps we get at checkin. If we like the place we jot notes on it along with nice sites and file it by state.

I also log any maintenance done to the truck or trailer as it happens in the same log book. We have 2 filled and most full on a third.

I can easily compute towed mileage, nights stayed or most anything else I need to jog my failing memory.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #5

Camping World sells pages for a small log [http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-binder/2152]; we've used it for eons, and is a quick way to jot-down specifics (mileage, routes, etc.) for future reference - this is kept in the TV. In the TT we have a folder where we stash campground maps, brochures, etc. that have future value, we also keep a campground book there as a reference for when we don't have connectivity.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #6

We have a drawer in our file cabinet at home where we keep travel info of interest. Sightseeing brochures for places that look interesting, camp ground maps with sites that we like circled so we know which ones to reserve in the future. In the feather we have a small plastic storage box where we toss all the stuff we pick up at tourist info centers, etc, and when we get home we sort through it and keep the good stuff and toss the junk. The box helps us keep the HTT cleaner and going through the stuff is a nice way to spend a rainy night sometime in the future as we dream about the next trip.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #7

We use RVCare Log Book | Recreational Vehicle Maintenance Log Book for maintenance, inventory, details on places we stayed. Use for both rig and tow vehicle maintenance.

Have started to our web site for travel log type info we want to share.
http://www.stormpod.org

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We keep a small bound book in our truck. We record the date, start mileage every time we tow and the arrival mileage and nights spent at that location. Also the location and a small amount of info in the campground, like water supply taste and anything else that may be needed for future reference. We also keep a folder in the camper with campground maps we get at checkin. If we like the place we jot notes on it along with nice sites and file it by state.

I also log any maintenance done to the truck or trailer as it happens in the same log book. We have 2 filled and most full on a third.

I can easily compute towed mileage, nights stayed or most anything else I need to jog my failing memory.
I wish I had started something like this, guess it's not to late.

Does everyone post information like this on Main Index - iRV2.com Campground Reviews or RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks ?

All of this information would be a great resource to others. I try to give reviews to the campgrounds I have visited. Also, there is https://freecampsites.net/ where you could put info about dispersed/boondocking places.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #9

I review every campground stay at campgroundreviews.com. Great resource!
Old 11-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #10

I keep a binder of campground flyers, area brochures and info with receipts and site #. I started it in 2002 when we bought our PUP. Love looking back on our travels. Been coast to coast and up through Canada. I am glad I started it.

We used to keep a running total of what the PUP cost us decreased the price by each night we stayed in it just for fun. It wasn't long before it was free.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #11
Site Team

I write down every trip in a notebook. Date, Location, site #, who we were with, special events or themes etc.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #12

We use Excel spreadsheets for planning day, date, location, campground, mileage, activities etc.
While traveling we use Travel Blog on TravelPod: Because your memories deserve it to do daily updates for our friends to follow us. It's a great diary when home to remember what you did and when you did it.
Lastly, once home, we take our photos and upload them to to shutterfly as a 3rd back up. Then periodically make digital photo albums and then have them printed for our home library.
This all takes time, but been doing it for many years and it's always a great reference when we repeat trips.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #13

I use the old school paper journal method. I really am most interested in the the things we did, the experiences we had and the people we were with. That will be the most important information to have 20 or more years from now. A journal, as I see it is a way for you to reflect on the past and allow others to read about your experiences. Every camping trip I try to have my daughter or one of her friends add their thoughts to the journal at least once during the trip. My parents kept journals from their cabin. I enjoy reading about our summers spent there 40 years ago. That is the most important part of the journal. I do keep track of mileage towed so I can plan service, and towing MPG (mostly for my amusement). I tried keeping a book of campground maps and a list of favorite campsites, but found it too tedious. Most of the local weekend spots I have good knowledge about, and the far away spots I will likely never visit again.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:32 AM   #14

The DW made a sheet of all the important stuff.

Name campground, date, site number, weather info, who we were with, other sites we liked and etc.

We just made a bunch of copies and put them into a binder.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:58 AM   #15

I personally don[t log anything, yet... Mom & Dad (full timers) have a file folder full of campground maps from places that they have stayed or just driven through checking it out. They mark sites that their 5er will fit in so if they ever return, they know which sites will work and which ones are out of the question.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #16

Back in August 1984 we purchased our 2nd PUP, a new brand new Rockwood. The dealer gave us a Camper Log similar what is sold at Camping World. I've been keeping a log of every trip ever since. We have run out of room in the log and now I just use a marble composition notebook. It's great to look back over the years of places we've been and people we camped with. The saddest part is we used to camp with family and friends who are no longer with us, but DW and I look at the log and think of all the great times we had and still have.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote