Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #1

Travel Trailer and autistm spectrum disorder

Seems like such a variety of folks here that I could ask this question and get some creative answers! I have 2 sons who on the autism spectrum (think Dr. Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory). They function independently but they have some sensory quirks particularly around noise and smell. We have not gone far yet--just up the road to an RV resort to kinda test out our new to us rig. Its a great spot, across the street from a water park, lots of kids, heated pool open late, play ground...I would like to do this a few more times over the summer. So far my oldest and most sensory sensitive ASD kid has sworn up and down he won't go along because last time it was too loud...
Do any of you travel with kids on the spectrum what have you done to make your RV/TT/campground etc more comfortable for your kiddo?
maiasaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
Site Team

I do not have children with ASD, but when you say it was too loud do you mean too much noise and commotion at the campground? If so many private CG`s with tight sites, golf carts, themed weekends, big crowds, alcohol, can be loud and busy. I would suggest state parks where in many cases the alcohol/partying and golf carts are not allowed, they are ranger patrolled, and the sites tend to be larger between units. Going during the week instead of weekends would be a plus too on crowds and noise.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #3

Is it the density or location along the highway that is challenging?

If it's density you might want to look at Pismo SB North Beach CG, quite a lot of space between sites, on the beach and close enough to explore downtown but get back to the sanctuary of you RV quickly should your sons need a break. If it's density the you would want to stay away from Pismo Coast Village. PCV is a great resort but very dense and busy.

Another close to home option is San Simeon. The Washburn CG sits up the hill from San Simeon Creek and is less busy.

Lastly, Lopez Lake is great too. Very much in nature and several loops offer full hookups.

All three are close enough to Templeton you can get home quickly if necessary, but should offer a more "peaceful" experience as compared to Wine Country RV.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

As your sons become more comfortable, and you want to venture a bit further away from the central coast, have look at Sequoia RV Ranch in Three Rivers. Very peaceful, situated along the Kaweah river and short drive into Sequoia NP if you want to take some easy nature hikes to see the Giant Sequoias.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #5

You can also try getting him a mp3 player with earbuds/headset or just a headset that used in shooting sports. I found that works. With the shooting headset they can still hear, it just drowns out the noise.
Blue Ox Sway pro
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiasaura View Post
Do any of you travel with kids on the spectrum what have you done to make your RV/TT/campground etc more comfortable for your kiddo?
Yes.

Our fifteen year old is on the spectrum. Moderate affliction, not severe, not high-functioning.

You know the saying we parents use: "Once you've met one kid with Autism, you've met one kid..."

So what works for us, might not work for you. Our son loves the RV, loves camping, loves making the campfire, loves s'mores. So we're very fortunate. In fact, I had no desire to own a motorhome, but did so because he enjoys it.

The spot over the cab (we're in a Greyhawk) is all his. All of his toys and plushies are up there. His electric blanket, if we're winter camping. It's 100% his spot.

Ear muffs are part of our life, we've got a half dozen pairs scattered around.

Usually I can pull my son out of his funk by getting him to do something fun (or exciting). Like the campfire, like trail-finding, like fishing, like exploring.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Yes.

Our fifteen year old is on the spectrum. Moderate affliction, not severe, not high-functioning.

You know the saying we parents use: "Once you've met one kid with Autism, you've met one kid..."

So what works for us, might not work for you. Our son loves the RV, loves camping, loves making the campfire, loves s'mores. So we're very fortunate. In fact, I had no desire to own a motorhome, but did so because he enjoys it.

The spot over the cab (we're in a Greyhawk) is all his. All of his toys and plushies are up there. His electric blanket, if we're winter camping. It's 100% his spot.

Ear muffs are part of our life, we've got a half dozen pairs scattered around.

Usually I can pull my son out of his funk by getting him to do something fun (or exciting). Like the campfire, like trail-finding, like fishing, like exploring.
Same here except for the desire to camp. I have been camping since I was 3. I love camping but unfortunately after spending years in the Army I can not tent camp. I'm in only if I have A/C, TV and an internet connection.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote