Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Ranger431,

One would think the police knowing the time line that the TT was stolen would look into seeing if any other local businesses (gas stations, truck stops, etc.) that where open in the area had seen anything. Also, checking to see if there are any other surveillance cameras in the general area that may have caught the direction the thieves were heading.

I tend to agree with you, this doesn't sound like a "drive by" theft....., that truck was in that storage area before.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #42

Agreed. I also asked the gas station next door if they had a camera covering the road - no luck.

I don't know if anyone remembers my thread about the tire blow out, but I didn't have the chance to replace the other tires - I just hope this guy's karma catches up, and one of the other tires blow!

Kinda wish I hadn't just pasi a couple thousand to repair the damage from my last blow out.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #43

Just logged on after several days of not checking the forum, that sucks, I hope they get what they have coming.

On a side note, I just recently asked my insurance company about the contents of my trailer and was informed that they are all covered under my homeowners policy. I am with State Farm btw.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #44

One thing to keep in mind is that the thief may sell the Tt to a unsuspecting family, so just be careful if you do see it parked somewhere that you check out that possibility. I do hope it all works out for you and your family, can't even imagine!
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #45

It's probably already parked permanently on a deer lease by now.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #46

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Sounds to convenient to me, how is access gained to the storage lot? is it with a security card or keypad? If so then it is some other customer or employee of the storage facility. What bothers me is why a trailer that a thief had to spend so much time on the hitch to steal when there were likely many other trailers there without such roadblocks in the way. It wasn't random, it was planned.

I aggree with drfife, it's probably in the woods on some hunters property by now.

When we had our TT with a ProPride hitch on it I didn't think for a minute that someone would take the time to remove the hitch to steal the trailer, I thought that would be a deterrent, obviously I was wrong. I just thought thieves always picked the low hanging fruit.

Good luck to you, hope your next TT is nicer than your last.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #47
Site Team

Could also have been turned into a meth lab somewhere............
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
Sounds to convenient to me, how is access gained to the storage lot? is it with a security card or keypad? If so then it is some other customer or employee of the storage facility.

Steve
Exactly my thoughts. I would think they could pull a report a see who accessed the lot at that specific time.
All the storage places I have been to usually assigns the codes if using keypad.
2007 Jayco Jayfeather 29A
Crackshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
At 12:14am Wednesday morning a black pickup truck drove directly to my TT. Either he knew the closest camera was out of service or got VERY lucky, because where he parked was also obscured by a motor home.

Hmm, that doesn't seem like it's your fault. What's the use of having security cameras if they don't work. I would think you have a case with your storage yard.

Having a hitch lock and chaining the wheels would stop a lot of thieves from taking your trailer. If a thief is determined then no amount of protection is likely to help. They only thing you can do is try to make it harder to steal so that they hopefully go after an easier target.

I know a few months ago I saw a boot you can place on your RV tires. It's the same kind of thing that the police might put on your car to prevent you from driving. Has anyone used something like that?

Perhaps thinking outside the box here, but I'm assuming you didn't have the TT covered? A cover would be another obstacle the thief would have to overcome before driving away. Unless of course they decided to drive away with the cover on which may attract attention too.
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #50

It wasn't covered - that might not be a bad idea.

Also, there wasn't a keypad / fence around the RV storage part of the lot. When I buy my next TT, I will find a lot with secruity fencing - regardless of how much further I have to drive.

I just finished itemizing all of the contents - there's an amazing amount of "stuff" that accumulates in the camper - just a bit over $5k. I was surprised - but that does include the HA, my roadtrip grill, extra 20 lb tank, satelite stuff, all bedding, cook stuff, sewage stuff, etc.

I guess the nice thing about the list is it also will be a shopping list for all the stuff I need to replace...

As a side note of warning to others - the initial line taken by my insurance company is that "contents" are not covered. they are trying to get an exception approved because it really wasn't very clearly phrased (I am really keeping my fingers crossed). Otherwise I will need to file another claim with my homeowners insurance (and another deductable). You guys may want to check your policies.

Also, I am quite glad I got "gap" coverage, but that's yet another claim to deal with....
Old 04-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #51

Have you given any thought that someone with access had involvement? Employee, manager, owner, an associate of one of the before mentioned? Just a thought.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #52

Yes, to be honest I do believe it was either an employee, ex employee, contractor, customer, or at least someone who had been there multiple times. I am going to follow up with the police on Monday and see what they found out so far, but as I said earlier, I didnt get the impression they're going to spend too much time on it. Hopefully i am wrong.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #53

I think you are right. If a security camera was out it was put out and left that way for a while as a plan, or that someone knew the camera was out and that they couldn't be seen. I'm betting on the camera was disabled and left that way for a while. After it wasn't repaired, they finished the plan. Yep, an employee. They had to know what was visible by looking at the camera in the building.

So many places they could take the trailer with no need to register it. Mexico, deer camp, meth lab, North Dakota frackin fields. List goes on and on. Doesn't sound like much to go on.

Hope your insurance covers it so there is minimal loss to you. Of course the inconvenience is never covered by insurance.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #54

Although I still would love for them to find our beloved 32BHDS, we went out looking at campers today (what a beautiful day here in east TN). Much to my surprise, they had a model that we really loved with everything we would have selected. So, we went ahead and put a deposit on it, with the stipulation that if mine is recovered my deposit will be refunded in full.

So, this way we won't miss the whole season. I took in a quote from RV direct, and they got to within 1500 bucks of it. Considering I would have spent a full weekend getting it and at least 700 in gas I thought that was pretty reasonable.

It is a 2012 32TSBH seems like a great floor plan for the kids. The extra room in back is nice, but I am really going to miss my rear "garage". I'm sure we will really love it, but would still rather have our original one back.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #55

The 32bhds & 32tsbh have great layouts. Do you think you would miss the bathroom door and outdoor kitchen, though? One trip out, we couldn't believe how much the fridge & bathroom door was used.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #56

Ours didnt have the outdoor kitchen - it wasnt available in 2009. Even if it was, I don't know I would have got it - I always loved the storage area (what I called the "garage"). The bathroom door is a great feature, but with 6 kids, the huge room in the back is even more important.

We will miss the pantry next to the fridge too - but the 8 cu fridge is a nice add.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #57

Sorry to hear about the loss of your trailer. I was wondering if you had any toll bridges that may have recorded a truck and trailer going over it the night of the theft. There's not lots of people pulling trailers in the middle of the night I would think. It might record a license plate of your trailer and also the thief's license plate. Sounds like you your taking the right approach. Good luck.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #58

Wondering if when you store the trailer take the breakaway pin out that would leave the wheel locked. Most people do not think about this... Just a sneaky idea to try and slow someone up... I would take the pin with me and put it in my glove box then replace it when I hitch up.. seems simple enough...
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheyco View Post
Wondering if when you store the trailer take the breakaway pin out that would leave the wheel locked. Most people do not think about this... Just a sneaky idea to try and slow someone up... I would take the pin with me and put it in my glove box then replace it when I hitch up.. seems simple enough...
Not a good idea. Excessive battery drain will kill the battery in no time. The break away system is only meant for a relatively short duration.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
Ours didnt have the outdoor kitchen - it wasnt available in 2009. Even if it was, I don't know I would have got it - I always loved the storage area (what I called the "garage"). The bathroom door is a great feature, but with 6 kids, the huge room in the back is even more important.

We will miss the pantry next to the fridge too - but the 8 cu fridge is a nice add.
I totally understand now! 6 kids WILL BE very comfortable in that bunkhouse. We just have the 3 and an occasional stray!