Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #1

Traveling to Phoenix, AZ

We are going to be traveling to Phoenix from Illinois next February. We usually go through Flagstaff, weather permitting, or the southern route through Dallas, El Paso, and Tucson. Instead of going all the way to Flagstaff and then heading south on I 17, has anyone cut across from Holbrook to Phoenix using routes 377 and 260? If so, what was the driving like?

Looking at the map, it appears that there will be a lot of mountain driving with quite a bit of two lane roads. According to MapQuest, the time it would take to travel either route is about the same, but cutting across from Holbrook would save about 50 miles.

I'll be pulling a 35 foot fifth wheel and am concerned about getting into some curves or hills that are not real great for this type of rig. Any information on these two routes that you can supply will be greatly appreciated.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #2

Traveling to Phoenix, AZ

We took that route last year from Michigan . We left after Christmas and was headed to Gold Canyon just outside of Apache Junction. We started out just fine but hit snow closer to Payson . I was praying I would make it down some of the 6 and 7 degree hill without jack knifing . Then the same back up. Normally the road would have been ok without the snow. My biggest worry was that I was double towing about 64 ft. I had a f250 4x4 pulling a Jayco Designer RL 31 with another trailer with a Polaris RZR so you could see my concern . I usually watch the weather the night before and decide my route. Personally I prefer the interstates when I can. Good luck
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #3

We lived in Apache Junction and drove this route often. Its fairly desolate and curvy in spots vut well maintained. I suspect there will still b snow snow around the Molgion Rim areas in Feb. Its much more scenic than taking 40 to Flagstaff then heading down but the interstate is better maintained.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #4

I think one of our Mods, Doug, took a nice extended trip throughout the southwest this year and went through Arizona if I remember correctly. You may want to contact him.......

Here's a link to his 9,000 mile trip

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ts-of-Memories
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
I think one of our Mods, Doug, took a nice extended trip throughout the southwest this year and went through Arizona if I remember correctly. You may want to contact him.......

Here's a link to his 9,000 mile trip

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ts-of-Memories
Yes,
We stuck to I-40 into Flagstaff. That was mid-April.
February is a little dicey trying to avoid snow, but I would stick to the interstate so I could lay up if need be until the roads were cleared.

Be safe,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

Doug....

Didn't you also have some high winds you had to deal with?
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Doug....

Didn't you also have some high winds you had to deal with?
Yes, high winds seem like they can happen along that route any time of the year.
Leaving at 6am and driving to our net stop by 12 noon was how we approached that.

There are some parts of I-40 that are pretty rough and a lot of truck traffic.
Take your time and stay on your toes. All you can do.

Safe travels,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #8

I would stay on 40 to 17S. There can be heavy snow in the mountains and high desert that time of year, and the interstates are maintained better than the other roads. Watch the weather, 40 and 17 can both be closed when it's bad.
Former owner - 2013 Jayco X20E
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #9

Thanks for all the information. I was pretty sure about the snow, curves, and hills on that route, but I wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion. I will definitely stick with I 40 and 17 S. going through Flagstaff. I also know about the High winds that are possible through that area at any time. The last time I was through that area in March, I stopped for fuel, and asked a state trooper if he had any idea when that wind would die down. His answer was "probably somewhere around the middle of May"! He apologized for making a joke of it but said that was probably going to happen. That same trip at the end of March, I also got caught in a large snowstorm in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. Then hit ice and snow around Tulsa, Oklahoma. At that time of the year, we just have to go with the flow!

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #10

Here's a link we used when driving the I-40 from Tennessee to Cali last Spring. It really helped us plan our driving times as well as in one instance where we opted to stay put for an added night to wait out a particularly windy day. The link will take you to "Arizona" weather info, but just change the region/state/city and click go. Have fun and safe travels
Aviation Forecast
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #11

Traveling to Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise View Post
Here's a link we used when driving the I-40 from Tennessee to Cali last Spring. It really helped us plan our driving times as well as in one instance where we opted to stay put for an added night to wait out a particularly windy day. The link will take you to "Arizona" weather info, but just change the region/state/city and click go. Have fun and safe travels
Aviation Forecast
Thanks for the link, I will save and use it this winter.
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #12

We have traveled the I-17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix dozens of times in our lives.
We have family in the Verde Valley below the Rim.
I would suggest that you pick a weekday (Mon.-Thur.)to travel from Flagstaff to Phx. because the weekenders turn the I-17 into a raceway on their Sunday return trip into the Valley (Phx.)
Also, the US-60 runs through the Salt River Canyon from Showlow (south of Holbrook) to Globe and is a beautiful drive, but, going either north or south you still have to negotiate the many switchbacks in order to cross the Salt River bridge at the bottom.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #13

I travel these roads often with my 5'er with no troubles.
I'd check the weather, (including the previous 24-36 hours).
If clear, take the roads thru Holbrook, Heber, and Payson (377-277-260-87) and you will be fine.
The I-40 to I-17 route is a safe alternate in case of bad weather, but is much longer, and no fun on a Sunday afternoon/evening due to returning weekenders.