Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #1

Question Travelling from Canada to USA question

Soon we will be camping in the US.

I understand there are restrictions on the food, etc. you can bring from Canada into the US.

Does anyone from Canada have any advise on what we should/should not bring into the US with us and any advise for crossing the border.
KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #2

You will need your passport for one thing. Fresh fruit and vegies will be taken away. Canned goods are OK. I don't know about frozen or fresh meat. Alcohol and tobacco is a lot cheaper in the states but you can bring a carton per person and a case of beer each. The best news is that you can bring all the money you want. I am sure others will chime in. Enjoy your trip.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
Site Team

I don't think it necessary to mention weapons. We already have plenty here.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #4

I don't think you can bring meat. Once my brother was crossing into the US and they made him throw out his half eaten hamburger.

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #5

Go to the appropriate custom sites, US or Canada and you will get an up to date list on what you can take and what you can't. It is normally cheaper to buy your goods in the US, especially right now as our dollar is so attractive. Alcohol is much cheaper in the US but as I don't consume or smoke any more, it is a non-issue to me.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #6

In June, 2010, lamb and goat meats were not allowed and seized. Certain meats contained within canned pet foods were also being restricted and seized. I cannot recall the exact meat. Best, if you have a pet, to just buy in the U.S. when you arrive.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #7

I cross about once a week, and numerous times with the trailer.

You cannot bring:

1. Fruit and veggies
2. Meat products. IF you bought the meat in the USA and it is still in its original packaging (not ground beef, but boxed burgers, etc) you can bring it in, but you have to prove it originated from the USA.
3. Untreated/unprocessed wood. Either take processed lumber, or buy your fire wood near the campground.

Bring:

1. Valid passport (must be good for 3 months past your return date)
2. Nexus card in lieu of a Passport
3. Money for border crossing - $3.50 for TV, and $3.25 per axle in tow. American or CDN funds, it doesn't matter.
4. Know the license plate number from both your TV and trailer. They will ask, because their cameras can't see past your trailer. If you don't know them, they have to get out and look and it just slows things down a bit.

Use the designated RV lanes. Around here they get all up tight if you go in the wrong lane. You used to be able to go in any lane you wanted, but now they have signs telling you where to go.

Have you trailer keys ready as they may want to look in your trailer and open up your fridge/freezer.

I find that 95% of the guards are very courteous people, they are serious about their jobs, but if you treat them with respect, they will treat you the same. Sometimes you get a nasty person, just be nice to them...as they can make your crossing difficult.

Know where you are going, they will ask specifics.

Keep your campground receipt for when you return. Only 1 in 10 times do they ask for it, but I always have it handy to give to them.

I always take off my sunglasses and/or hat, and roll down both windows on the drivers side so they can easily look in, so they can see I'm not hiding anything. I think those things go a long way to having a smooth crossing.

Have a great trip. We love camping in the USA, as it is only 10 mins to the border from my house. Any DECENT provincial park is at least a 3 hour drive for us, so we head into the USA for camping quite often.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
The best news is that you can bring all the money you want. I am sure others will chime in. Enjoy your trip.
NO you can't just try to cross with over $10,000.00... can you say "strip search, rectal probe, and arrest?"
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
NO you can't just try to cross with over $10,000.00... can you say "strip search, rectal probe, and arrest?"
Actually you CAN cross with more than $10k, but you have to declare it, that's all. It's not taxed, nor is it taken away. They just have to log it. If you don't declare it, and they find out, you will probably lose the money as well as be fined.

Rick
12_AMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12_AMS View Post
Actually you CAN cross with more than $10k, but you have to declare it, that's all. It's not taxed, nor is it taken away. They just have to log it. If you don't declare it, and they find out, you will probably lose the money as well as be fined.

Rick
and be put on a watch list

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #11

Thanks Everyone!

There are many items mentioned that I was aware of and many more that hadn't occured to me.

As for the money situation - no one needs to worry as I don't have $10,000 available to bring with me on vacation. Although, it would be really nice if I had that much.

If anyone else has any tips I sure would appreciate hearing them.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
and be put on a watch list
Canada doesn't have the same kind of watch list as the US, and it's not nearly as easy to get on.

Rick
12_AMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12_AMS View Post
Canada doesn't have the same kind of watch list as the US, and it's not nearly as easy to get on.

Rick
How do I get on this list?

I have been going to the States for years, and they never gave me a watch! :hihi:

Old 06-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #14

We travel to the States often and the list changes frequently. At one time we were allowed to bring in vegetables, but not meat, other times meat but not vegetables. Last year we had our peppers and tomatoes seized, due to some outbreak of insects in Ontario that affected those two. Any product of USA is allowed to be brought back in to the USA. Here's a link that will answer your question: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use
There are also rules for bringing pets into the States. We have 2 Golden Retreivers and have been asked on a few occassions to show their vaccination records. There are specific rules for dogs under 8 months of age, as well.
For the most part we have no problems, but we buy the majority of groceries in the States, to avoid any hassles. They have better selection and lower prices most of the time anyways. Enjoy your trip.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDiane View Post
Soon we will be camping in the US.

I understand there are restrictions on the food, etc. you can bring from Canada into the US.

Does anyone from Canada have any advise on what we should/should not bring into the US with us and any advise for crossing the border.
In addition, should have animal vaccination records, receipts for "expensive" items(camera, computers, jewelry, watches, etc). US or Canadian customs very seldom check, but they can and anything which might be subject to tax etc. you might have to prove where and when you purchased the item. Both will sometimes randomly pull some one out of line and check inside vehicle and RV.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #16

I have never paid to cross into the states. I just got back from a weekend in Washington. We do most of our fresh food shopping there it is way cheaper than Canada. Dairy is about half price and beer is over half price. Just so our American friends know we pay about $48 for 24 beer. I just bought 24 MGD's for $18.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek700 View Post
I have never paid to cross into the states. I just got back from a weekend in Washington. We do most of our fresh food shopping there it is way cheaper than Canada. Dairy is about half price and beer is over half price. Just so our American friends know we pay about $48 for 24 beer. I just bought 24 MGD's for $18.
$48 for a case of beer? Holy cow.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
$48 for a case of beer? Holy cow.
Ya but, it's WAY better! :lizard:

And liver transpants in Canada are free!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
In addition, should have animal vaccination records, receipts for "expensive" items(camera, computers, jewelry, watches, etc). US or Canadian customs very seldom check, but they can and anything which might be subject to tax etc. you might have to prove where and when you purchased the item. Both will sometimes randomly pull some one out of line and check inside vehicle and RV.
If you take your "expensive" items to Canada Customs before crossing into USA, they will give you a "Green Card" which is good for as long as you own that item. I have a few for some things like a camera. One time, I took my boat with trailer into the USA. Before crossing into the USA I asked Canada Customs for the Green Card, and was told "you don't need one for that". When I came back into Canada, guess what they asked for? Yup, do you have proof of where you purchased that boat. Boy was I pissed. They let me through, but I was wiser for the experience.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnka trk View Post
Here's a link that will answer your question: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use
This is a great website. Thanks! We'll probably do our food shopping in the US, but this site has good information just in case I want to pack a picnic lunch for our travel day.