Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

Tree on Trailer - Demolished!

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum but I wanted to share an adventure we had in our 2016 X17Z a few weeks ago in July.

We are relatively new to RVing having got our brand new hybrid last summer. We've done around 20 nights in it since getting it in June of 2016. We live in Whistler, BC and this July I took a trip to a downhill mountain bike race with my 14 year old son to Kicking Horse Ski Resort in Golden, BC (about an 8 hour drive away).

We were staying at an RV park that is right next door to and managed by the Golden Golf Club. The race went well and we were spending a quiet final evening in the trailer watching a movie on Netflix on the iPad together. We could hear that the wind was getting kind of strong outside so I poked my head out the door to have a look.

The trees around us were really starting to sway and bend hard. I could hear what sounded like the snap of lightning in the distance but then I realized that it wasn't lightning. It was actually the sound of large trees over on the golf course snapping off and falling!

I told my son that we should probably get out of the trailer, jump in the car and head for a more open area so we could ride out the storm. So, we jumped in the car and drove down the lane of the RV park. Literally 30 seconds after we drove away, I looked in the rear view mirror and could see a huge spruce tree snap off halfway up the trunk and the top half of the tree fell directly onto our trailer crushing it!

We were in shock! So, we ended up waiting out the storm for about 10 minutes in the open golf course parking lot and after it blew through we went back to the trailer to have a closer look. The attached video tells the tale:
  • Roof crushed
  • Leaf springs flattened
  • Branches stabbed through roof like spears
  • Tent ends ripped off
  • Awning ripped off
  • Frame twisted
  • Side panels buckled

So, we called the insurance company and spent that night in a hotel at the resort. We went back the next day to deal the aftermath. It was decided that we would climb over the logs and get all the trailer contents out and into the car and then drive home and leave the trailer for the insurance adjuster to deal with. Our trailer insurer (ICBC) was great about it all and they were able to tow the trailer to a tow yard after the golf course superintendent got his crew to removed the logs with chainsaws.

It took about 3 weeks to come to a conclusion but the trailer ended up getting written off and we've just picked up our cheque for the full declared value. We are picking up our new 2017 Jay Feather 7 22BHM tomorrow and are headed out for a 10 day trip through the BC Okanagan wine country and also Winthrop in eastern Washington.

Hopefully we can salvage some great camping for the rest of the summer after this debacle but luckily my son and I came away unscathed!
Attached Files
OvenproofElk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
bap

WOW You were lucky you got out. Glad to hear you had good luck with the insurance company.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
WOW You were lucky you got out. Glad to hear you had good luck with the insurance company.
What he said!! WOW
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #4

Glad everyone is OK. That is quite the experience to go through...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #5

Wow

Good on you to make a smart decision to get out. I've seen too many people leave their awnings out in a storm at Myrtle Beach, only to see the wind destroy their TT. You couldn't have avoided this mess, but you did the right thing to avoid disastrous consequences for you and your son. Thank God you did.
neonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:00 AM   #6

Wow, just wow! You guys were lucky. Certainly glad you personally came out unscathed.

Also gold you were able to get the insurance settled so quickly and back on the road with a new trailer.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:17 AM   #7

WOW! Indeed. Just glad no one was hurt. (or worse)
rdlouks is offline   Reply With Quote