Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #1

Trip planning software/app/website??

Do any of these things exist? We are planning a 14 day and 7 state trip for 12 months from now. The planning and data and all the things that go into a trip like this are significant. It would be nice to have one place to keep and prepare along with some tools. I'm not totally sure I know what I am looking for but I think I will know it when I see it.

It's gonna be me the wife and two kids. Anyone have any experience or insight they could share? I can imagined people just use A map and a notepad.

Thanks

Paul
pschultheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #2

Trip planning software/app/website??

I just use a notepad! I look at a map and decide on a route then figuring in my gas mileage i know where approximately when to get gas. I try and fill up in large town so it is easier finding a place easy to get in and out of. It is hard to get into most small convenice stores. I also right down the rest areas and point of interest. With gps and siri you can find anything. Lol
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #3

the last time we took a big road trip i planned all of it on MapQuest. There is probably better software out there but it is free and i already know how to use it. It was easy to mark how far we expected to get and then used the search features to find out what was close by (restaurants, parks etc..).

I then took all the potential stopping locations and put the names, addresses and phone numbers and approximate distances to each other (in sequential order) into a Word doc and printed it for use in the truck. Also, emailed the doc to DW's smartphone in case the paper blew away. We have used this method several times and it takes a lot of the stress out of traveling thru new territory.

Best of luck!!
Greg
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #4

Possibly also use the map feature on Reserve America?? I know that there are plenty more campgrounds than they have available, but it may help to fill in some of the blanks.
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #5

Just finalized our 10 day trip from NY to Maine using and old fashioned notebook, printed maps and the telephone(a hardline). I did use mapquest to figure driving time and milage. I also used the internet to search for campgrounds and nearby attractions. Once I got things in order, I called for reservations, wrote out a time line, made sure we have all our maps, email confirmations and a list of places we are visiting. We don't own cell phones, GPS or any other fancy gadget. Using a map and good old fashioned know how. I did find a good website called "we camp here". Used that to find a campground. Heres the link. Good luck on your vacation.

http://www.wecamphere.com/Default.aspx
Leigh and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #6

Re: Trip planning software/app/website??

I use microsoft streets and trips for route planning and locating destinations close to the route selected. It does not have a feature for keeping all of your notes like confirmation numbers, etc. For that I use Microsoft Word.
Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #7

Does AAA still make Triptiks? Haha! I used to love it when we'd go on vacation as a kid and we'd go over to pick up the triptik. As a kid it was fun to follow our route page by page (especially driving from NY to FL, though the South of the Border billboards help in that respect, but that's a different thread entirely).

These days, we can pretty much find anything we need on the iphone. Trip Advisor has a decent app that's helped us when looking for good food in the past along a particular route. Yelp has one as well.

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #8

Good Sam has a plan a trip feature on their website. just remember it will be biased towards their campgrounds.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #9

[QUOTE=pschultheis;130288]Do any of these things exist? We are planning a 14 day and 7 state trip for 12 months from now. The planning and data and all the things that go into a trip like this are significant. It would be nice to have one place to keep and prepare along with some tools. I'm not totally sure I know what I am looking for but I think I will know it when I see it.

It's gonna be me the wife and two kids. Anyone have any experience or insight they could share? I can imagined people just use A map and a notepad.

As far as roads go invest in a motor carrier atlas. They run about $50-60 bucks on Amazon and are very good with listing large vehicle stops on routes. It also is a good map for certain clearances by state which are all listed for review against your routes.

Another good piece of equipment might be a trucking or RV based GPS. I have a Garmin dezl 560 which I can plug my dimensions into to keep me off hazardous roads in unknown areas. There is also a RV specific model made by Rand McNally which some members here have had great luck with. There is software you can download or even purchase upgraded versions to plan your route then upload to these units as well a few others.

There are also some programs for motor carriers that you can download to an I-pad or I-phone which you will need to purchase. I do not know of a good free one.

Just my 2 cents. The internet based routing systems are good for a rough outline, but you should cross check against a trucking atlas for confirmation of heights as all are based on cars. Also in certain states there are restrictions to certain vehicles like here in NY you cannot go on a parkway with a commercial vehicle or trailer of any kind. Mapquest does not tell you that.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #10

We always use Microsoft Streets & Trips. It does all of the things you describe--we keep our reservation information right on the map or even the hours of operations for places we want to visit along the way.
Ripley24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #11

My GPS (garmin) came with software for my computere too, I plan everything on my computer, I use Excel to enter the data that I need to store and print out.

I also use Google earth to look into areas where I have never been.

I usually study all my options, plans and directions so that I don't have too many surprises on my travel day

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #12

I have an app on the iPhone and iPad (Allstays) that I really like for route planning. It doesn't do any trip planning but for me is a very useful tool for locating CGs (Wal-Marts too), fuel stops, low clearances and RV parts houses. Figure how many miles you want to log for the day and look for a CG in the area. Same for the destination, if you don't have a CG in mind search the area for a suitable one. It also provides links to CG websites. I find it very handy.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #13

I used KOA's website to plan our trip and to make reservations for KOA's along the way. In July we are going from WI to Washington DC and taking a few days to travel both ways.

2000 10' popup
2000 30' with triple bunks.
2011 25BHS
2016 34RSBS
Type-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #14

RedHorse1, thanks for the tip on Allstays, it looks like a very handy ap indeed!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #15

I used to use ms streets & trips but last few years have just been using Google maps and printing the details
oobedoob is offline   Reply With Quote