Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2017, 05:37 AM   #1

TT vs. Fiver

How do you view the pros and cons of travel trailers versus fifth wheels? We have been looking at both for our future needs and desires. We want to be able to travel long distances and for extended stays up to 3 months. We do not want to full-time, but we do want to go for lengthy time periods and use our home as our "port." We are looking at 28-32' travel trailers and up to 36' fivers. It will be just the two of us with no pets. We are very low key (not big partiers or socializers), and we are not "pack rats." We are pretty sparse with "stuff," and we have modest storage needs. I do want a decent generator and a 2" rear receiver.

Just how significant are the towing advantages of a fiver versus a TT with a ProPride or Hensley?

Does a TT have some significant towing advantages? MPG?

How critical are the stairs to aging folks in a fiver?

Which would you rather be in if you become ill or injured (like a broken ankle)? And why?

What are the pros and cons of their respective floorplan options? How is a TT more or less comfortable and how is a fiver more or less comfortable?

What are the maintenance pluses and minuses of each?

Other than towing and mpg, are their other "on the road" considerations?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:05 AM   #2

We bought our travel trailer last year and I have a few regrets that we didn't go with a Fiver. I have lingering back issues from a serious work related accident and hitching my TT usually cases me some pain. The WDH is fairly heavy and awkward to handle at times. Hitching a FW seems to be easier on the back.

Our biggest factor in NOT choosing a fifth wheel was the loss of bed space in out TV. We do tend to pack a bit on the heavy side and I carry a hefty set of tools and spare emergency type stuff. A fifth wheel offers a great deal more basement storage than a TT so it in some ways makes up for not having the full pick up bed available.

Towing a Fifth wheel offers much less chance of sway issues.

I believe when the time is right and we get a bit older (Only in late 50's now)we will likely move to a FW...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
How do you view the pros and cons of travel trailers versus fifth wheels? We have been looking at both for our future needs and desires. We want to be able to travel long distances and for extended stays up to 3 months. We do not want to full-time, but we do want to go for lengthy time periods and use our home as our "port." We are looking at 28-32' travel trailers and up to 36' fivers. It will be just the two of us with no pets. We are very low key (not big partiers or socializers), and we are not "pack rats." We are pretty sparse with "stuff," and we have modest storage needs. I do want a decent generator and a 2" rear receiver.
I think the biggest difference between the two in general is the "bang for the buck" factor. TT's with approx. the same amenities and floor plan can be had for quite a bit less than 5th wheels. But in an overall sense, it comes down to what you think would work best for you. Ceiling height may be a factor for you as well, especially in the living area during extended stays so you don't feel so closed in. With that said, our Eagle 330RSTS TT has 7' 3" ceilings in it so for us staying in our TT for months on end now, doesn't feel so closed in as many other TT's would. And as far as the generator is concerned, if you want an onboard one, the 5th wheel is your choice. Also the 2" receivers on 5th wheels may or may not be higher rated than those on a TT, if the trailer has one at all. So depending on what you want the receiver for (bike rack vs. maybe a trailer, boat, etc.) that may also play into things. In most states, you can "double tow" with a 5th wheel but you cannot with a TT.

Quote:
Just how significant are the towing advantages of a fiver versus a TT with a ProPride or Hensley?
Most that have towed both swear by the 5th wheel mainly because there is so much less involved in hitching and unhitching as well as being able to have a longer unit while keeping their overall length the same or shorter.

Quote:
Does a TT have some significant towing advantages? MPG?
I wouldn't say there are significant differences in MPG between the two, but TT's are obviously a lower profile overall so can't hurt MPG over a 5th wheel.

Quote:
How critical are the stairs to aging folks in a fiver?
This was one of the main reasons we chose a TT over a 5th wheel. Neither of us (both with aging knees) wanted to traverse stairs multiple times a day just to go to the bathroom/bedroom.

Quote:
Which would you rather be in if you become ill or injured (like a broken ankle)? And why?
Generally, I wouldn't have a personal preference either way.

Quote:
What are the pros and cons of their respective floorplan options? How is a TT more or less comfortable and how is a fiver more or less comfortable?
The floorplan we wanted was available in both the Eagle TT (330RSTS) and 5th wheel (321RSTS) lineups so that never came into play for us. Other than a ceiling fan, higher ceilings in the living area but lower ceilings in the bed/bath were really the only differences. With the 7' 3" ceilings in the full size Eagle TT's, we just felt more comfortable. I also have more storage space available between the TT pass thru and my empty truck bed covered with a tonneau cover than I ever could have had with the 5th wheel.

Quote:
What are the maintenance pluses and minuses of each?
I would say they are about the same.

Quote:
Other than towing and mpg, are their other "on the road" considerations?
Overall height, overall length, and most will tell you that just by design, a 5th wheel will give a much better towing experience overall, regardless of what hitch you use to prevent sway, etc.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #4

Agree with bluejay, with a slight caveat. We went 5er because we wanted a little more room, especially as we meet up with family quite a bit. My knees aren't what they used to be, but steps aren't an issue yet so they weren't a deciding factor.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #5

Our trailer needs are a lot like yours: 3 months, not big socializers, trailer length, not pack rats, have a generator that stays in the truck bed, and there are frame brackets for bolting on a receiver hitch.

We picked a trailer trailer over a fifth whe
el.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post

Just how significant are the towing advantages of a fiver versus a TT with a ProPride or Hensley? None. We have a long wheelbase, F350, diesel pickup with a Equalizer brand 4-point hitch. We delivered many of both types.

Does a TT have some significant towing advantages? No MPG? No. We found 5th wheels marginally (~1mpg) better.

How critical are the stairs to aging folks in a fiver? Probably an individual issue, but we'd rather not have interior stairs.

Which would you rather be in if you become ill or injured (like a broken ankle)? And why? Again, interior stairs could be a problem.

What are the pros and cons of their respective floorplan options? Floorplans would be very individual. However, we wanted 2 exit doors; few fifth wheels have that. 2 exit doors has been nice when we have g-kids (and their parents) and for a dog ramp for our aging poodle.
How is a TT more or less comfortable and how is a fiver more or less comfortable? Too many variables and too subjective to offer anything useful.

What are the maintenance pluses and minuses of each? Probably minor, but the fifth wheel landing gear has been an issue for some, but probably a SMALL minority.

Other than towing and mpg, are their other "on the road" considerations? TT are lower, so fewer issues in some forest campgrounds and some roads.
I find maneuvering through campgrounds, gas stations, and backing easier with a TT, but practice and experience makes the difference with either one.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #6

My husband and I traded in our 34 ft TT for a 31ft Fifth Wheel. It has the same floor plan as our TT had, the one difference being is the 3 steps to the bathroom and bedroom. I had hip replacement surgery in April and have no issues with the stairs. There is a lot of storage in the FW so losing some space in the truck bed is not really a problem for us. As I still work, our camping trips are limited to long weekends and a week vacation in the fall. While we liked our TT, we really like the FW for the ease of hitching and all the extras we carry are in the storage area, not in the bed of the truck. That means more room for firewood in the truck.

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:40 AM   #7

Interesting and insightful comments, thank you. Some Northwood Manufacturing and Outdoors RV TT units come with a generator ready compartment, and you can option in an Onan generator.

DW and I also like a large bathroom with ample sink and countertop and full size shower that does not require steps to get to. Travel trailers seem to have more floorplans to meet this preference of ours.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Our trailer needs are a lot like yours: 3 months, not big socializers, trailer length, not pack rats, have a generator that stays in the truck bed, and there are frame brackets for bolting on a receiver hitch.

We picked a trailer trailer over a fifth whe
el.
Thank you! I greatly appreciate the fact that you have so much experience towing the two types of RV.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #9

For me it came down to 2 main factors. 1. Price. Travel trailers I looked at were significantly less than 5w. 2. Pickup bed. I have a topper on my pickup and I wanted to keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #10

We tend to tow a lot so a fiver makes more sense, especially since we needed 35ft for living space. I did not like towing bumper pull trailers of any kind, especially ones like larger TT's. Out west there does not seem to be a day without 30mph gusty winds.

Yes, we do not mind the three steps up to the bathroom/bedroom.

The pros and cons are well stated above. If I wanted a full time TT I'd get one of those made for full time. They are a bit more expensive but might be worth the time to check out. We met some people who were campground hosts and they had a company tow their trailer from place to place (once or twice a year).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #11

I would never buy a 5th wheel unless it was a full profile one, such as a North Point, where I can stand up tall in the front section at 6'4. Most of the small and mid size ones I can't stand up in the front bedroom and that just doesn't work for me.

I also love lifted trucks and we all know that doesn't work for 5th wheel towing.

I use the bed of the truck for gear and couldn't be without it. Hauling a quad is handy, although right now it's strollers, kids bikes, firewood, wagon, etc.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #12

TT vs Fiver

For us trailer towing comfort, and interior space, and ceiling height in the master!
Attached Thumbnails
Best SS 12-5-16.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #13

Have had travel trailers for 9 years and we like the way it is set up. I got my trailer and truck set up just the way I want. It goes down the road straight and even when tractor trailers pass me the truck and trailer only move maybe 1/4 inch. We live in ours 4 1/2 months in the summer time and 1 week each month for the other months. Just have to remember that you don't have a lot of storage but we take everything we need.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote