Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #1

Question TTN When Ordering

Leaning towards ordering(Late 18 early 19) Eagle or Eagle HT 5w Some questions?

1) Min required Deposet ?

2) Avg time beween order and delivery ?

3) Special orders (like slide toppers, mattress delete, ect.) ?

4) Oppinon Must haves ?

5) Oppinon So So stuff. ?

6) Oppinon Waste of money ?

Tango Yankee
Damdannyboy
2003 Newmar Scottsdale MH
2005 Ford Escape (toad)
1997 Harley FLHT
Damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damdannyboy View Post
Leaning towards ordering(Late 18 early 19) Eagle or Eagle HT 5w Some questions?

1) Min required Deposet ?

2) Avg time beween order and delivery ?

3) Special orders (like slide toppers, mattress delete, ect.) ?

4) Oppinon Must haves ?

5) Oppinon So So stuff. ?

6) Oppinon Waste of money ?

Tango Yankee
Damdannyboy
1. Usually set by dealer. Ours was 10 percent.
2. Our 2017 Eagle TT took a day shy of 19 weeks. But it seems a lot depends on the model you order. At a minimum, if you get it in 10-12 weeks from the order date (dealer might tell you less than that), consider that a good build window.
3. We ordered our Eagle with slide toppers since we prefer shaded sites and they keep the top of the slideouts clean from debris. They also help keep the trailer cooler on full sun sites in my opinion by keeping an air barrier between the topper and the slideout roof.
4. I suppose everyone's "must haves" are going to be different depending on how they plan to use their RV. Seasonal, weekends, etc. As for us, we are almost exclusively seasonal so 2 AC's (better to have them and not need them), dual pane windows, table/chairs, tankless WH, tire upgrade (wasn't mandatory like it is now when we ordered), residential fridge and auto leveling.
5. I was on the fence in regards to the Sanicon Turbo system and ended up not ordering it. Heard of numerous issues with the hoses getting leaks/holes too easily and cleaning them out if they jam/clog up is not a task I wanted to tackle in an RV park somewhere. I opted for a portable macerator. That way I can use it at a park, with my Barker tank and at home if necessary and it's easily replaced if it goes south.
6. Not buying your "second" RV first. When we bought our first trailer, we made the mistake of telling ourselves "we can live with that". We found out very quickly that we were wrong and it made for very disappointing trips during the first year becasue we were always reminding ourselves of what we "should" have gotten. We ended up trading it in one year later for the trailer we really wanted in the first place and couldn't be happier.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:02 AM   #3

Yes on buying what you want now, especially when paying for a special order. And, yes, it depends on how you will use it. We are full time so our needs are a bit different.

I would get all the insulation stuff I could, including dual pane windows. Also get as many A/C's as the unit will take.

Are you going to upgrade your truck? If not then you will be limited on which units you can get based on payload. Especially important if you want a generator installed (a lot of the genset weight goes to the pin).

If you plan on boondocking with A/C then a genset is needed. If you have one installed (propane) then you will need more fuel capacity (buddy tank or larger onboard). One thing good about toyhaulers is most have an onboard gas tank that the genset can run from.

We full time and have not had a reason to have a larger refrigerator or tankless WH. But, neither of us takes 30min showers either. We found that shopping for food more frequently leads to less waste, so the smaller refrigerator actually helps us meet that goal. I must admit that we have a second refrigerator in our outside kitchen where I keep our extra drinks. That is worth every penny. Never use the outside kitchen for cooking, just storage. PS the outside refrigerator is 110V only and it will not keep food cold during a day of driving in the summer.

Auto leveling would be nice to have, but, they can cause ground clearance problems at the rear. Make sure the trailer will ride level with your truck. Ours just has the rear stabilizer. It is a little more of a pain to set up, but, since we usually stay in a place for more than a few weeks at a time it is not much of a problem. When stopping overnight I rarely disconnect the truck. If you do not get auto levelers then some sort of stability system is needed. I got the JTstrongarms, which work well. There are other cheaper solutions that just take more time to setup (like cinder blocks ).

Slide toppers do help in the summer. I will probably get some installed on my trailer in the next year or two. I will get the ones that also work as awnings for the slideout windows.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:50 PM   #4

Is it possible to arrange with dealer to pick your own trailer up?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #5

As far as I know, Jayco doesnt allow it. Has to go to the dealer first.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #6

Seems like it would be fun to do!