Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2017, 05:17 AM   #1

Turnpike Toll Tickets

This past weekend we went down to Cape May, NJ to visit family and of course hauled the North Point with us. Overall everything went very well minus some weather.

My question: While going through the toll booth on the NJ turnpike where you grab the ticket and it pops out to take it what is the easy way to grab it? With the camper attached I guess it thinks I am driving a tractor trailer and prints out on the top. It is very difficult to grab from the truck window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:27 AM   #2

To be honest, I've never really noticed (or looked for) any additional charges on my statement. I'm sure they charged me accordingly. But, ya know what? I'm on vacation so, it gets figured in! LOL
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:30 AM   #3

EZ pass is the way to go! Just easier than squeezing through the small ticket booth lanes.
I will never look at the statement again. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw what they charged me when we went down to FL. I think it was about $40-50 from exit 11 to exit 1. With a car it's much less.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:06 AM   #4

It is not so much the price that bothered me. It was trying to grab the ticket from the upper print-out. I really do like the idea of the EZ Pass and just skipping it all together.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
This past weekend we went down to Cape May, NJ to visit family and of course hauled the North Point with us. Overall everything went very well minus some weather.

My question: While going through the toll booth on the NJ turnpike where you grab the ticket and it pops out to take it what is the easy way to grab it? With the camper attached I guess it thinks I am driving a tractor trailer and prints out on the top. It is very difficult to grab from the truck window.

I was surprised at the reply's that you got SEEMS like no one read what you asked

Its is hard to reach those tickets when they think your in a tractor-trailer.
Best thing to do is stop, put it in park, open doorr and reach high. Yes it is a PITA
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
I was surprised at the reply's that you got SEEMS like no one read what you asked

Its is hard to reach those tickets when they think your in a tractor-trailer.
Best thing to do is stop, put it in park, open doorr and reach high. Yes it is a PITA

Thank you!! That is kind of what I did, but not as graceful.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Thank you!! That is kind of what I did, but not as graceful.

Would be my luck to stand on the running board and slip off and get all banged up
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
To be honest, I've never really noticed (or looked for) any additional charges on my statement. I'm sure they charged me accordingly. But, ya know what? I'm on vacation so, it gets figured in! LOL
I admit..I have no clue as to what I was responding to! LOL
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #9

If you do ezpass make sure to register the trailer. Watch your statement to make sure they are charging you correctly.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Since you had the trailer, the NJ Turnpike put you in a different class, hence the ticket coming out of the top spot. In our Motorhome, we were put in the same class even though we were only 2 axles (DRPA charges differently even though only 2 axles). In the Motorhome, I had to put it in park and then sorta stand up in my seat to grab the ticket.

Is your location no longer West Virginia? I can't see how you ended up on the NJ Turnpike coming from West Virginia.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
Is your location no longer West Virginia? I can't see how you ended up on the NJ Turnpike coming from West Virginia.

-Michael
I imagine he came up 95, then once he crossed the river, he took the turnpike to Atlantic City Expressway, or something along those lines. No matter where you live in the US, you have to travel south to get to Cape May (when traveling on land).

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #12

I have the same problem every time I go to the CAT scales. How do you use the intercom when the button is 10 feet off the ground? (I usually walk inside).

A little OT but related, what happened to the tolling interoperability that was mandated by your feds to be in place last year? I have Florida SunPass and keep hoping that eventually my transponder will work on all the interstate tolling down there like your congress promised. Is it just behind schedule, or did it die an early death?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #13

To my understanding from Maine to North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia and Kentucky all accept EZ-PASS.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
I imagine he came up 95, then once he crossed the river, he took the turnpike to Atlantic City Expressway, or something along those lines. No matter where you live in the US, you have to travel south to get to Cape May (when traveling on land).
Hahaha, sorry. I meant I can't imagine why he would be on the NJ Turnpike if heading to Cape May from WV or anywhere south for that matter. The NJ Turnpike is on the opposite side of the state from Cape May. The Garden State Parkway goes to Cape May (actually ends in Cape May), but that has individual tool booths at each toll plaza. It doesn't use the ticket system like the NJ and PA Turnpike use.

-Michael
Old 07-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
To my understanding from Maine to North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia and Kentucky all accept EZ-PASS.

Garden state parkway also uses EZ Pass.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
Since you had the trailer, the NJ Turnpike put you in a different class, hence the ticket coming out of the top spot. In our Motorhome, we were put in the same class even though we were only 2 axles (DRPA charges differently even though only 2 axles). In the Motorhome, I had to put it in park and then sorta stand up in my seat to grab the ticket.

-Michael

We went to Cape May I-70 to Baltimore then I-695 to 95 to 295 over the Delaware Memorial Bridge then onto the NJ turnpike. We live in the panhandle of WV.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #17

Get the blue 5th wheel ez pass and be done with it. Express lane tolls and a 5th wheel discount. Just go into the EZ pass web site and look for the combo sheet to submit your information.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:53 AM   #18

After this trip I am signing up for the EZ-Pass. I went through one part of the NJ Turnpike where my GPS said to stay straight. The two lanes that went straight had no signs above to indicate that they were EZ Pass. There were 3 or 4 lanes that went to the right looked like an exit so I did not go that way. After I passed that area I realized that those lanes on the right were the Toll Booth lanes that I needed to stop and pay using the ticket I had so much trouble obtaining in the first place. I assume I will e getting a nice bill in the mail from that one.

Any reason why the two lanes that went straight had no signs above them? They did not say EZ Pass or anything. So confusing.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Any reason why the two lanes that went straight had no signs above them? They did not say EZ Pass or anything. So confusing.
If I am not mistaken, EZ Pass is accepted at all lanes, not just the two lanes you missed. I can't imagine there wasn't a sign somewhere, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. You shouldn't get a fine since you have EZ Pass. You may get a notice in the mail, but you should be able to just apply it to your EZ Pass account and not pay a fine. When we lived in NJ, from time to time when we'd go through the toll booth it wouldn't pick up for whatever reason. We'd get a notice about it and just apply it to our EZ Pass account. No fine.

It's a much more direct route to take US 40 once you go over the Delaware Memorial Bridge instead of heading north. No tolls and the least amount of traffic. There will be some traffic lights. Depending on the time of day, it might be better to stay on I-95 and take the Walt Whitman Bridge to the AC Expressway to the Parkway. When we lived in Ocean City, NJ (30 miles north of Cape May on the Parkway) and heading to MD (we camping in Western MD a few times a year) or other points south sometimes it was just easier to take I-95 to the Walt Whitman Bridge. There is no toll from PA to NJ.

-Michael