Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #1

TV antenna replacement

Has anyone replaced the antenna. I am thinking about replacing with something along this line King Jack.
Bill
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #2

Bill- I replaced mine with the King Jack digital 2 years ago. I get 2-3 times as many channels and am happy with those results. Very easy replacement....takes about 4 minutes. Hardest part was getting on roof. lol

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #3

Have been using a King Jack for several years now and get way better reception than the OEM Wingaurd.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #4

We've had a King Jack for a few years now. We don't watch a lot of TV but it's nice to have a wider range of channels. We're pretty happy with it. At the time we bought it it was the thing get. If I was looking now I'd probably do the Winegard Wingman add-on. It's less expensive than the Jack and is reputed to be better at pulling in more signals.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #5

We installed the Jack head on our antenna mast a couple years ago. Reception improved, but I'm not sure it was "drastic". We don't use the antenna all that much anyway, but it works when we need it.

If I were doing it today, I would put in a new mast as well. The kit that comes with the signal meter and the short mast is much more resistant to leaking than the standard antenna mast, but then it's shorter too so perhaps not as many channels?

I will say the replacement head was SUPER easy to change. I didn't even get on the roof, I was able to do it from a ladder.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #6

On my old jay flight, I replaced the entire unit with the King Jack. When I bought the camper, the previous owner forgot to lower the antenna and broke the whole thing off and never replaced it. I decided on the model that doesn't raise. It is the fixed low style like the one that my Jay Feather came with. The install was easy. I can't compare how the reception was compared to the original as I never had one. I think that the King Jack worked well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #7

Did you have to replace the antenna amp? I have also read some of the changeout requires a. Adapter to mount flush. I hate that mast. Had to climb up this weekend due to and an a ron
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMc40 View Post
Did you have to replace the antenna amp? I have also read some of the changeout requires a. Adapter to mount flush. I hate that mast. Had to climb up this weekend due to and an a ron
If you are referring to the piece that all of the cables connect to, no I did not. I think that the instructions say to replace it but I believe it was the same as what was in there. I tested it before I closed everything up and it worked perfectly. I just kept it in the camper as a spare.
bondo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:54 AM   #9

Also, I bought the antenna with the signal meter which works pretty well. Be sure to buy the mounting plate as well and a tube of dicor. I do not remember if it comes with the screws for the mounting plate. I went to the hardware store and purchased stainless screws. When using the dicor sealant, be sure to cover all screw heads.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:58 AM   #10

I had a King Jack antenna on my old 2012 Koala 21CS. My new 23RB has the Winegard equivalent, Razar Z1.

The King Jack worked well, and the Razar Z1 is working well now.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #11

I installed the King Jack a few months ago after I started out of my yard forgetting to lower the antenna. Installation was easy, I ordered the base plate to simplify the installation. I didn't change the amplifier as it looked the same as the original. Works pretty good, I can pull about 20 stations in at home.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:49 AM   #12

I go back and forth on this. It would be nice to have a stationary model; I am all about fewer moving parts. I do not know about reception quality. I suppose they all work about the same. I do read complaints about the stationary models, too. It has not become enough of an issue for us. Maybe I will get tired of the maintenance on the (old) sensor model. From a reception standpoint, the old style sensor works well for us. I will make the switch for ease of maintenance, if I make it at all (one less thing to service).
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote