Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #1

Tyvek RV Roof Covers

Are the Tyvek RV Roof Covers worth their $? Does anyone have any pros or cons that has used them? I was thinking about one for using thru the summer when we park at home. I have a full cover we use after we winterize and shut it up for the winter.
Gobbledot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #2

I may have to store our 5er outside this coming winter as I'm not having much luck finding indoor storage in my area that has 14' clearance. What are you using as a cover for the winter?
Sorry I don't know anything about the Tyvek cover you are asking about.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

I have ADCO covers for both my 5th wheel and slide-in camper. The one for the fiver is less than a year old and cost $550.00 through the dealer. After one winter there are holes on two of the roof corners, one by the back bumper and one by the door. Not terribly impressed. The one for the slide-in camper is 5 years old and has holes over both rear jacks and is now wearing through by the A/C. Just don't think they hold up very well. Don't really know of a better alternative other than moving it inside.

Jim
Old 07-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbledot View Post
Are the Tyvek RV Roof Covers worth their $? Does anyone have any pros or cons that has used them? I was thinking about one for using thru the summer when we park at home. I have a full cover we use after we winterize and shut it up for the winter.
If its the same Tyvek used in building houses which I imagine it is Dupont specs say cover within 9 months. The sun, wind, and rain will degrade it and it falls apart, I would not waste my money on it.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #5

I was looking at just one of the Half covers that just covers the top but all the reviews I have read aren't been too good ..
Old 07-01-2016, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebra View Post
I may have to store our 5er outside this coming winter as I'm not having much luck finding indoor storage in my area that has 14' clearance. What are you using as a cover for the winter?
Sorry I don't know anything about the Tyvek cover you are asking about.
dalebra I just got a all weather cover from camping world....
Old 07-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #7

Neighbor had one for 3 yrs and he said it gave up the ghost after this past winter. I've got one for my GH 31 and it is a heavier material but still the Tyvek stuff by ADCO, got it last summer or fall when on sale for around $300. It made it thru the winter ok, a couple small holes were worn thru from the sharp edged rain gutters on the rear, but basically still intact.

If you can get it on sale, it's probably worth it, but full price and I would question the price. Some of the reading I did prior to purchase indicated they would last 2-4 yrs, I'm hoping for 3 and will go from there.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #8

I've often wondered about the financial trade off of covers. How many months do they extend the life of your roof vs. their cost.

I don't rotate my tires unless I see a problem caused by alignment. Dealers will try to align every 5k for ~$20. Tires last at least 40k miles so say 8 rotations at $160. You can't convince me that rotating tires saves $160 worth of rubber.

Same principle with covers - replace every 2 to 3 years at considerable expense or replace your roof a year or two earlier?
What's cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #9

I use Tvek house wrap on our commercial buildings we build, great product. But if you look closeup at the Dupoint specs it's product is warranted against air infiltration not moisture infiltration. For this reason our company has to purchase mold and mildue insurance on certain jobs. I'm sure the covers are made along the same lines.