Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2016, 11:43 PM   #1

Red face Unable to get drawings from Jayco?

Hello all, I contacted Jayco in an attempt to get a copy of my campers electrical and mechanical drawings. They replied that because my unit was still under warranty, it would be a liability issue if they sent them to me. Is this normal policy? Thanks for any input. Cos
6 year Navy Vet (Bubblehead)
22 year Volunteer Firefighter (retired)
5 year Fire District Commissioner
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:07 AM   #2

Yep

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:08 AM   #3

Sounds like a BS answer. Having a schematic drawing of your M&E systems does not make them anymore liable. If the system fails because of a bad design, they are just as liable rather you have a drawing or not.

There concern might be that with the schematics, you could go in and modify the factory systems, but if you did that it would be pretty obvious. And once you did that, it would be my assumption you voided your warranty by modifying the stock system. At the very least it would be a fight.

So they may not want to provide the schematics for that reason. But again, "liable" is the wrong word here. Also, I might note that with vehicles, the manufacturers do not make all this information available for free. Normally you have to buy/get a service manual for detailed schematics.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:32 AM   #4

Something's not right... they sent all of my 12v, 120v and water system schematics (PDF) within minutes of me calling them. This on a brand new unit, only had it 2 weeks.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Yep
I beg to disagree.

I have a 2016 28BHBE purchased in October of 2015.
2 weeks ago (5-10-2016) I called Jayco and asked for the electrical wiring schematic as well as a drawing showing exactly where my tanks were since I have the thermal package and the tanks are hidden.

Later that same day, Jayco e-mailed me both schematics.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #6

With out WH I got the drawings no questions asked. With the Eagle I got the same answer as the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #7

I emailed a request for drawing a few years back and the PDFs came back via email that same day... Maybe you just got the wrong person on the other end and they was too busy with something else... try again haha...

One of the members on here is a JAYCO rep... Forget which one... Maybe they can help when they read this...

Might have been CRABMAN...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #8

I got the same response when I tried to get schematics on our unit which was a year old at the time. As soon as the warranty was out, I made another request and received all the drawings.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I emailed a request for drawing a few years back and the PDFs came back via email that same day... Maybe you just got the wrong person on the other end and they was too busy with something else... try again haha...

One of the members on here is a JAYCO rep... Forget which one... Maybe they can help when they read this...

Might have been CRABMAN...

Roy Ken
Sorry to disappoint, but Crabman is not affiliated with Jayco in any way. Just JOF.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #10

Funny you mention this. When I first bought my camper I asked for the diagrams and got them(for my solar install). Then I went to get them the other day and realized I had lost the printouts AND somehow the email got deleted. Emailed Jayco to get the drawings again and they told me the same EXACT thing. That it's under warranty and they couldn't send them... I think it just depends on the level of laziness of the rep, or the wording of the email.
Dustin.Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #11

It may also be a matter of protecting their dealer network. They want you to go to the dealer for warranty service. If they start giving us too much help doing our own repairs their dealers will protest.

I used to own a computer company in the 1980's - we had that same problem, if we shipped parts directly to the customer while the unit was in warranty the dealers threatened to drop our product line. They made more money on service than on the original sale.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #12

I asked and received the same answer. I persisted very nicely and asked them how I can be expected to troubleshoot and become familiar with my trailer not knowing where everything was and not be dependent upon dealers. They complied and emailed 6 sets of drawings in PDF right then.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:04 AM   #13

I'm new here, so excuse my ignorance...but is there a section where users can upload documents like these and then the community benefits by being able to access them? On various forums I've been a part of, I've seen this done a few different ways. One is to have a subforum for tech docs and then people post them up like a normal post. I think the better way is where there is a true "documents section" and you can upload with appropriate title and people can access the data -- no chitter chatter, just file storage more or less, and available to all members.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
I'm new here, so excuse my ignorance...but is there a section where users can upload documents like these and then the community benefits by being able to access them? On various forums I've been a part of, I've seen this done a few different ways. One is to have a subforum for tech docs and then people post them up like a normal post. I think the better way is where there is a true "documents section" and you can upload with appropriate title and people can access the data -- no chitter chatter, just file storage more or less, and available to all members.
that is a really good idea
Old 05-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #15

Check out the Manuals section: at the top of the page, Home, Forum, Photos, Manuals
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:06 PM   #16

I have a 2013 361reqs. My first RV and was at a boondocking site where I needed to add fresh water as we were getting pretty low. Prior to this I had only camped at sites with water hook-ups or was there for a short enough duration that a full tank would last me the entire trip.

So I started looking through the manual for the procedure for adding water to the tank. On my water control panel there was an option for "country fill" on the knob diagram. Looking in my manual, the directions for filling the tank mentioned nothing at all about a "country fill" option. I did some googling and figured it out on my own.

Looking through my manual, it feels like a lot of the directions are very general. Like the manual was written to cover the entire line of Eagle 5th wheels, regardless of floorplan, trim level, or options available. It makes it quite difficult in some instances to troubleshoot when there is a problem, or figure out how to do something (seemingly simple) like fill the water tank.

I emailed Jayco and asked if there was a manual that was more specific to my trailer, any wiring diagrams or other schematics that would help me understand the nuts and bolts of the trailer better.

I got a bland response, saying that the manual I have is all there is. I dont want to sound like an a-hole, but you would think that it wouldn't be too much to ask to provide an instruction manual that was specific to the trailer. Especially when considering the cost of these things, and how complicated all the interconnected systems can be.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
ResidentEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #17

I emailed Jayco asking for the diagram of the black tank for mine. their initial response was they didn't send any drawings or plans to Jayco owners that still were under warranty and why did I want it. I replied that frankly who ever made the decision to install a 9 gallon black tank on a TT didn't use very good judgment and that I wanted to replace mine with a larger tank if possible. I had the diagram before the day was over.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #18

I had no trouble getting them. I think it depends on who you talk to and how you ask. I sent an email and recv'd the schematics for everything in a matter of minutes.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:10 AM   #19

I think if you tell them what you are doing and why you need the particular schematic you will get it. If you just say you want schematics for everything you may get the no answer.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #20

I was able to get my electrical drawings. Warranty was already expired. I had called regarding drawing of exterior walls. They didn't have the front and back wall on file, only sides. They told me they would email the drawings right away but they never did.
cpa0912 is offline   Reply With Quote