Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #1

Unhappy Jayco Owner

Ok, I usually have a lot of patients, but I am reaching my breaking point with Jayco.
I bought a Seismic 355W almost a year ago based on reviews I read on the internet and other research I did. Supposedly, these were above average construction and Jayco delivered excellent customer service with their industry best 2 yr warranty.
Well, to be more exact, it is a worthless warranty. I have several items that I can not get fixed, a Jayco dealer that I wouldn't trust checking the oil in my lawn mower, and now I have a front cap damaged when sitting at the repair shop and they say it is my responsibility. I think that is my breaking point.
This is not my first rodeo....I have owned several RV's. This is BY FAR the worst service I have received from any RV manufacturer. I have not had even close to adequate brakes since I have owned this trailer. The Jayco dealer said they are fine, but you can barely feel them when applied under full power. Pulled the break away and put in gear and rolls easily at an idle, but according to Jayco, they are fine!
I have fixed a number of small items that the dealer missed (but said they did and charged Jayco for).
But the front cap really chaps my hide! I know some will say that it was the repair shops fault, and I need to deal with them. But the trailer wouldn't have been sitting in the repair lot if Jayco followed through with their warranty. It sat there for 3 weeks waiting for Jayco to approve work, which never happened, and thus was damaged awaiting an answer.
Will probably sell and purchase a Momentum which is what I should of purchased in the first place.
I would highly recommend another brand if you are looking into buying Jayco.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

You will probably find that the dealer did not contact JAYCO when they said. They were probably backed up and used that as an excuse.

My dealer has gotten the OK for repairs right when the tech called, no call backs. I even had 2 situations that JAYCO approved repairs by a mobile tech immediately while I was on the road.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Sounds like your dealer is the problem.

Contact Jayco directly at -

903 S. Main Street
Middlebury, IN 46540
Phone: 574-825-5861

You do have options when it comes to who services your camper. Jayco will authorize a better shop to do your repairs.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:13 PM   #4

Yea, your issue is with your DEALER, not Jayco. I can assure you that Jayco stands behind their product. I love my Jayco and was super happy with my dealer to fix a few minor issues that we encountered.

I might suggest that YOU contact Jayco directly, discuss your issues and have them recommend a repair facility. You aren't required to go to your purchasing dealer (though the dealers prefer that you do).
Old 01-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #5

Having needed warranty work done on my 28BHBE, I kept in close contact with Jayco while the local CW was doing the work that was approved by Jayco. Like all the postings above said....... Jayco is very prompt and deals with issues quickly, I agree with all the above post, the issue is with the dealer, not Jayco.
Here is an example I found while keeping in touch with Jayco. Jayco wanted to see some pictures of the issue. CW said they would send pictures to Jayco. About a week later, I contacted CW to find out how things were going. CW said they were waiting for Jayco to approve the work. I contacted Jayco, they told me the date they approved the work and who they sent the approval to. I went to CW (they are about a 6 minute drive away) and asked again about how the warranty work was coming. Again they said they were waiting for Jayco to approve the work. I showed them what Jayco told me about the date and who they sent the approval to. CW Service advisor said "let me go check" he came back a little red in the face and admitted they had the approval for the past 4 days. OOOPPPSSS. I went to the manager and told the manager how I caught them lying. He apologized and the work was done 3 days later.
Call Jayco like they are saying above. Keeps you in the loop and it sort of forces the dealer or service center to be honest with you when they see you do that. From that point on, I never had any more issues with the local CW.

As for your front end cap, If the damage happened at the shop, It is the shops responsibility to fix the damage they caused.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 01-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You will probably find that the dealer did not contact JAYCO when they said. They were probably backed up and used that as an excuse.

My dealer has gotten the OK for repairs right when the tech called, no call backs. I even had 2 situations that JAYCO approved repairs by a mobile tech immediately while I was on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Having needed warranty work done on my 28BHBE, I kept in close contact with Jayco while the local CW was doing the work that was approved by Jayco. Like all the postings above said....... Jayco is very prompt and deals with issues quickly, I agree with all the above post, the issue is with the dealer, not Jayco.
Here is an example I found while keeping in touch with Jayco. Jayco wanted to see some pictures of the issue. CW said they would send pictures to Jayco. About a week later, I contacted CW to find out how things were going. CW said they were waiting for Jayco to approve the work. I contacted Jayco, they told me the date they approved the work and who they sent the approval to. I went to CW (they are about a 6 minute drive away) and asked again about how the warranty work was coming. Again they said they were waiting for Jayco to approve the work. I showed them what Jayco told me about the date and who they sent the approval to. CW Service advisor said "let me go check" he came back a little red in the face and admitted they had the approval for the past 4 days. OOOPPPSSS. I went to the manager and told the manager how I caught them lying. He apologized and the work was done 3 days later.
Call Jayco like they are saying above. Keeps you in the loop and it sort of forces the dealer or service center to be honest with you when they see you do that. From that point on, I never had any more issues with the local CW.

As for your front end cap, If the damage happened at the shop, It is the shops responsibility to fix the damage they caused.
I couldn't agree more! I had an issue last year and at Grumpy's suggestion I contacted Jayco directly. They told me that that had not had received any warranty work from my dealer, who told me that they were waiting on Jayco. I confronted the dealer on this....lets just say, I haven't had a problem with my dealership since!
Old 01-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #7

Tim, I'm in agreement with the other Jayco Owners in that it appears your problem is with the Dealer and not Jayco. Sounds like the Dealer should be responsible for whatever damage you had to your front cap. I have owned several Jayco's and never had any issues with warranty repair approval. I once had a 3 inch surface crack in my front cap at about 1-1/2 years into the warranty. While it was probably only in the Gel Coat, I was worried it would propagate deeper into the fiberglass cap. Jayco wanted to repair the crack but could not guarantee that the repair would not turn yellow over time. "I called Jayco" and told them my concern with a repair and they agreed to replace the cap. Shipped a new one to the dealer and the dealer swapped it out. I have been surprised recently at the issue with Dealers not working on Unit they did not sell or Dealers not wanting to do warranty repairs. Luckily, the Dealers in and around me are not like those.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #8

Within the first year I had our Jayflight I had a brake problem. Took it into a authorized repair facilities for Jayco. They took it apart and found out that the lower spring on the brakes was broke. This place kept on telling me they were waiting for Jayco and nothing was being done. Got with the service writer from where we bought the trailer and he had Jayco call me and come to find out this place lied out the mouth to me. Well took trailer out of there because Jayco found another place to fix it, after taking it out Jayco took then off of the authorized repair list. Pay back is sweet. Get a hold of Jayco and they will take care of the problem
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Tim View Post
snip... Will probably sell and purchase a Momentum which is what I should of purchased in the first place. ...snip
If I were you, I wouldn't buy your Momentum from the same dealer.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 01-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #10

Been installing an aux tank in my truck today so haven't replied.
I did contact Jayco after the Jayco dealer failed to fix it last time they had it. There were several things they said they fixed that they didn't, or as I mentioned, I fixed myself.
I was told I could go to an independent shop and they would authorize the repairs. The indy told me they were waiting for authorization, and they were told that Jayco would not pay for diagnosis of any issues, just repairs.
The trailer has been sitting at either the Jayco dealer, or the indy shop for a total of at least 3 months in less than a year.
I know the front cap is the indy repair shops responsibility, but it looks like it is going to be a battle. They are denying responsibility. If it wasn't sitting at repair shops so long it probably wouldn't have been damaged.
I have been frustrated with some of the things that need repaired not getting fixed, and the front cap has me steaming right now.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #11

is it time for an unhappy owners "swarm" protest

Like some others here I'm not happy with my Jayco or the dealer. Maybe a "swarm" of owners with their trailers & rv's should show up at Jayco HQ next spring & meet with their management.

We can call it a Quality Rally!

What say ye?
Old 01-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #12

I thankfully haven't needed warranty work but did engage Jayco directly on 2 relatively minor issues and found them to be extremely courteous and helpful. Promptly returned phone calls and needed information and even sent a missing part to me at no cost.

I decided to call them based upon advice here, after getting the extreme brush off from my selling dealer CW in Kingston NY blew me off repeatedly.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
Like some others here I'm not happy with my Jayco or the dealer. Maybe a "swarm" of owners with their trailers & rv's should show up at Jayco HQ next spring & meet with their management.

We can call it a Quality Rally!

What say ye?
Count me out! I am on my third Jayco product in the last 16 years. I have nothing but good things to say about Jayco and the dealer I have been working through, TEAM RV in Albany, GA.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #14

Have only had a couple of warranty issues and Jayco was quick to respond and even shipped parts overnight in one instance to get us going again. There are some very good service dealers and then some that you wonder why they have 'service' in their advertising.

Jayco also authorized payment to a mobile tech for us on another issue.

For some here you may have an issue but to say Jayco is terrible and is no help I beg to differ as that is not my experience working with them directly. As a few have mentioned Jayco even authorized non-Jayco dealers to take your issue to for repair.

IMHO I would say most service issue problems are with dealers.

In any case good luck getting things right and safe travels.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 01-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
The problem is your in a very small minority and most issues are "dealer" created. Since they are not franchised JAYCO has little if any control.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #16

I agree with Grumpy about this being mostly dealer issues. But Jayco should have more control over their dealer network and the services they provide on Jayco's behalf.
I will say, my Furion stereo/DVD never worked correctly and the dealer never addressed it. I contacted Jayco and they sent a replacement for me to replace. They asked the dealer to remove the old unit and return it, but I installed the new unit because we were leaving on a trip and didn't have time to wait for the dealer to order and install a new unit. Unfortunately, the dealer just cut some wires and didn't label them. I had to figure it out on the trip.
I have had discussions with Jayco about a few things that have not been addressed in the last year. Most are bigger issues, as I can fix most things myself. And I also have issues to fix that the dealer created, like the wiring I mentioned, they broke my battery tie downs when they attempted to get the battery isolation switch wired correctly and still failed, Brakes that wont hold even at an idle, and now the front cap!
I am frustrated, and am aware that the dealers are failing, but Jayco has a responsibility to ensure that their warranty is honored!
My reason for the Momentum comment was I was looking at those too when I chose Jayco. I know Grand Design goes above and beyond to ensure that their products warranty is honored, and I thought Jayco was in the same category? (ok, I'm still steamed, just a little cooler than yesterday)
Old 01-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #17
Site Team

Count me out also. I have nothing but good service and response from both Jayco and my dealer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #18

Personally, if it was my RV, I would be talking with a Jayco FACTORY Service Manager about everything that has transpired, and demand that Jayco choose a servicing dealer to fix everything on your RV to your satisfaction (or, at least factory specifications). Let them set it up, and require them to choose the service point. I would almost bet a paycheck they will choose the best service center in your area, and ask them to place your work at the top of their list of priorities. I can promise you that they want this issue off their desk and away from these forums.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:24 PM   #19

Threads such as this cause me to wonder what Jayco does to insure that their dealers offer reasonable and fair warranty service to their customers. Does anyone know?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

Old 01-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #20

I like your suggestions DustDevil. I may have to travel some distance, but when I think about it, traveling to get to a decent repair facility would be less time consuming than the months it has sat at local repair facilities. The closest Jayco dealers I know of outside my town are CW's that are 40 and 70 miles away. Not sure how good they will be since I have read mixed results on them.

I originated this thread yesterday right after getting off the phone with the indy repair shop where he denied responsibility and said my trailer sat on his lot at my risk. So I was just a little hot at the time.

Good question RVhiker. I would assume they have some kind of licensing agreement that can be enforced?
Closed Thread