Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAjax View Post
The brochure for the Titan XD shows a maximum payload of 2,000 lbs. The regular Titan at 1620 lbs.

The Ford F150 with the Heavy Duty payload is up to 3000 lbs payload depending on cab, 4wd vs 2wd, and engine combo...

Actually, the Titan XD has a max payload of 2910 lbs depending on configuration and will handle a load much more like a 3/4 ton given its wheel base, weight, braking abilities that are class leading even in the 3/4 ton class, etc.

Also, I think it's already been well established in previous remarks on this thread that quoting max ratings is pretty worthless. Very rarely are these max ratings in a realistic platform for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #42

I agree that using max payloads is worthless because reality is that people put different options on their trucks, etc. and useful payload is lower. But as a comparison point between models, it should be relative as a starting point. Otherwise, what do you use to compare?

Just wondering what your source is on the payload on the Titan XD - the 2017 Nissan XD website indicates 2000 lbs

CUMMINS-POWERED
The first of a family of all-new trucks, with a heavy-duty attitude that delivers a payload 2,000-lbs, and the capability to tow over 12,000 lbs.
2017 Titan XD Features | Nissan Canada

I also found this - not close to 2900 lbs - what does the sticker on your truck say?
Nissan has done a nice job creating a strong frame that provides enough payload capacity to handle the many J2807 towing requirements. Here are the factory-listed payload ratings for the Titan XD by trim level. All the trucks listed below are crew cabs with the Cummins V-8.

S: 4x2, 2,091 pounds; 4x4, 2,004 pounds
SV: 4x2, 1,924 pounds; 4x4, 1,838 pounds
PRO-4X: 4x4 only, 1,733 pounds
SL: 4x2, 1,674 pounds; 4x4, 1,588 pounds
Platinum Reserve: 4x2, 1,676 pounds; 4x4, 1,470 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeller View Post
Actually, the Titan XD has a max payload of 2910 lbs depending on configuration and will handle a load much more like a 3/4 ton given its wheel base, weight, braking abilities that are class leading even in the 3/4 ton class, etc.

Also, I think it's already been well established in previous remarks on this thread that quoting max ratings is pretty worthless. Very rarely are these max ratings in a realistic platform for most people.

Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #43

This is my source...

Old 12-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #44

I found it buried in their website - going to dig into it...thanks for pointing it out.

Maximum payload capacity when properly equipped. Maximum payload of 2,910 lbs for TITAN® XD S Single Cab with Endurance® V8 gas engine. Payload capacity varies by configuration. See Nissan Towing Guide and Owner’s Manual for proper use.

Quote:
This is my source...

Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #45

Quote:
I found it buried in their website - going to dig into it...thanks for pointing it out.

Maximum payload capacity when properly equipped. Maximum payload of 2,910 lbs for TITAN[emoji768] XD S Single Cab with Endurance[emoji768] V8 gas engine. Payload capacity varies by configuration. See Nissan Towing Guide and Owner’s Manual for proper use.

Yup, it's always a "properly equipped" game.

Here's a serious question for you, if sitting side by side, the F150 max payload config and an F250 CC Lariat PS, which one would you choose to tow with?

Old 12-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #46

There comes a point to realizing the whole point comes down to personal preference, and how it fits your lifestyle, and what you are willing to handle.
Today's half tons are very capable and very respectable machines. Having seen a couple in action, I no longer consider the F150 with max tow and max payload a unicorn. It is very capable and can do one hell of a job. I am sure the new Nissan Titan XD will be equally surprising. Half tons today are not the same as they were 15-20 years ago. (Then again, neither are 3/4s and 1 tons)
A couple things remain though. A half ton is still a half ton, a three quarter ton is still a three quarter ton and a 1 ton ... on up. Inescapable facts exist and cannot be argued. They are built different and they handle different. Whether it be the F150 or other equally equipped truck; even though it can handle the same weights and towing capacity of the 3/4 ton; how they handle those weights and towing are still going to be different, and therefore should be considered. 1/2 tons, even those built to handle high payloads and towing still have independent front suspensions and over all softer rides than the 3/4 ton and up. As a result, the 1/2 tons in varying road conditions, like centrifugal force on corners, side slippage at angles, body roll, etc. handle differently then their heavy duty class brethren with solid front axles and beefier suspension parts and stiffer framing.
When approaching hauling heavy loads and towing long loads, as I have mentioned in other posts before. Whether it is a half ton, or 3/4 ton or 1 ton on up the ladder. Physics cannot be ignored. There comes a point when a load may be well under tongue weight and well under tow weight, but it is still just too big in size and length to safely handle.

Example, there was a test (I forget who did it, but it was a reputable serious test), which proved a Ford F-550 properly equipped, was able to tow a 45 foot semi trailer. The cargo load was close to max, and the tow load under the maximum for the truck. Does this mean trucking companies should save their money and start using F550s? After all, they come really close and/or do the same job as some of those fancy Peterbilt or Mack or KWs. Absolutely not. Just because something can do a thing, does not mean it should do a thing. I have personally witness a guy drop a bull moose with a .223 at 100 yards. Since the .223 can do the same job as my 7mm mag (in this case kill a moose) does that mean everyone should just buy .223s for moose hunting? dead is dead right? Or should the skill, experience and frequency of use of the shooter be something to consider? The same factors have to be considered for the argument of the unicorn half tons.

I have tremendous respect for these properly equipped "unicorns" as they have been called. In fact, I seriously considered purchasing one. I quickly shelved the idea because I do to many other things in my lifestyle (involving off-roading, wood cutting, etc.) in which I would simply break the F150 too often. My realization came when I was involved in the backcountry recovery of a stolen F550. The F550 had been stripped down and had no fuel or other fluids. We all went out in an F150 with max tow and four new wheels and a custom made tow bar for the 550. After over four hours of work the 150 was unable to extract the 550, it just kept digging itself in. Why couldn't it pull the 550 out? The 550 only weighs 8000 pounds, its under the max tow weight? Using a tow bar and flat towing, there was virtually no tongue weight.
Yet, we went back two days later with a 450, and we extracted the 550 in less than 10 minutes.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #47

That was kind of the point in my question above. My brother has a 2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4. His payload is 19xx lbs, however, I think there are very few people that would choose to tow 8K+ lbs with the a max payload, max tow half-ton just cause it's rated higher.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #48

The perfect truck doesn't exist... might have to buy 2.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
There comes a point to realizing the whole point comes down to personal preference, and how it fits your lifestyle, and what you are willing to handle.
Today's half tons are very capable and very respectable machines. Having seen a couple in action, I no longer consider the F150 with max tow and max payload a unicorn. It is very capable and can do one hell of a job. I am sure the new Nissan Titan XD will be equally surprising. Half tons today are not the same as they were 15-20 years ago. (Then again, neither are 3/4s and 1 tons)
A couple things remain though. A half ton is still a half ton, a three quarter ton is still a three quarter ton and a 1 ton ... on up. Inescapable facts exist and cannot be argued. They are built different and they handle different. Whether it be the F150 or other equally equipped truck; even though it can handle the same weights and towing capacity of the 3/4 ton; how they handle those weights and towing are still going to be different, and therefore should be considered. 1/2 tons, even those built to handle high payloads and towing still have independent front suspensions and over all softer rides than the 3/4 ton and up. As a result, the 1/2 tons in varying road conditions, like centrifugal force on corners, side slippage at angles, body roll, etc. handle differently then their heavy duty class brethren with solid front axles and beefier suspension parts and stiffer framing.
When approaching hauling heavy loads and towing long loads, as I have mentioned in other posts before. Whether it is a half ton, or 3/4 ton or 1 ton on up the ladder. Physics cannot be ignored. There comes a point when a load may be well under tongue weight and well under tow weight, but it is still just too big in size and length to safely handle.

Example, there was a test (I forget who did it, but it was a reputable serious test), which proved a Ford F-550 properly equipped, was able to tow a 45 foot semi trailer. The cargo load was close to max, and the tow load under the maximum for the truck. Does this mean trucking companies should save their money and start using F550s? After all, they come really close and/or do the same job as some of those fancy Peterbilt or Mack or KWs. Absolutely not. Just because something can do a thing, does not mean it should do a thing. I have personally witness a guy drop a bull moose with a .223 at 100 yards. Since the .223 can do the same job as my 7mm mag (in this case kill a moose) does that mean everyone should just buy .223s for moose hunting? dead is dead right? Or should the skill, experience and frequency of use of the shooter be something to consider? The same factors have to be considered for the argument of the unicorn half tons.

I have tremendous respect for these properly equipped "unicorns" as they have been called. In fact, I seriously considered purchasing one. I quickly shelved the idea because I do to many other things in my lifestyle (involving off-roading, wood cutting, etc.) in which I would simply break the F150 too often. My realization came when I was involved in the backcountry recovery of a stolen F550. The F550 had been stripped down and had no fuel or other fluids. We all went out in an F150 with max tow and four new wheels and a custom made tow bar for the 550. After over four hours of work the 150 was unable to extract the 550, it just kept digging itself in. Why couldn't it pull the 550 out? The 550 only weighs 8000 pounds, its under the max tow weight? Using a tow bar and flat towing, there was virtually no tongue weight.
Yet, we went back two days later with a 450, and we extracted the 550 in less than 10 minutes.

I'm new to the forum but couldn't agree more. You are exactly right, it comes down to what you do with the truck on a daily basis. I'm like you- I haul wood, plow snow commercially, off road and tow up to 18k at least 3 times a week, so a 350/3500 or more is a must for me. Not everyone has those requirements, however, and a "max tow" or equivalent 150/1500 would probably meet their needs better.

The thing I always point out however, is curb weight. Yes, a 1/2 ton may have a ton or more of capacity, but thats based on a GVWR that is sub 8000#, meaning there is only 5000-6000# of truck holding your trailer to the road. My 350 only has a payload rating of 3350, but it also weighs a scaled 9460 with me in the driver seat and all my tools in the bed, and I can tell you from 21 years of commercial towing that I'll take all the extra weight I can get when pulling a high profile trailer. That weight and brute force also comes into play in emergency situations- Over the years I've lost tires (steers, both duals on one side at once and trailers), I've had loads shift, I've pulled negative tongue weight loads and I've lost trailers altogether (less the safety chains of course), and thankfully every time it happened I was in a tow vehicle that was always overrated for the load. Like many have said, it comes down to doing your homework on GVW vs GVWR vs. payload vs. tow rating vs GCWR and making the best choice for your needs and budget.

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #50

Quote:
I think there are very few people that would choose to tow 8K+ lbs with the a max payload, max tow half-ton just cause it's rated higher.
LOL, you would be surprised what people will tow simply because the numbers tell them it can be done.
I have seen and heard of too many people who look only at numbers on door stickers and weights at scales and figure out what they have falls into their parameters and they head off down the road unaware of anything being amiss simply because what they are towing is just plainly too big. Yet they will argue; "well they wouldn't build it this way if 'x' couldn't tow it". Yet at the end of the day when some people know they have a rig which has been built and can handle what they do, are loading however, and whatever they please with no considerations, while the others are carefully weighing and distributing weight and when they reach their destination they are tense and need to relax because, unknown and unaware to themselves, they drove the whole trip in a tense and white knuckled manner; simply because all the numbers and weights fell within the specified capabilities of their rig.
Again, it really comes down to what you are willing and able to handle coupled with your lifestyle.
You can bet your top dollar, when the day comes that I am no longer hauling the loads of wood, or venturing where no other motorized vehicle has been, or recovering equipment from places a reasonable man would swear was dropped in by helicopter, I will be purchasing one of these "unicorn" half tons.
The great thing about it, is when I do reach that point, the half tons we are talking about today will probably seem weak and whimpy by comparison.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #51

Leprechaun riding a Unicorn

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has seen/driven/towed with one of these mythical beasts - the F150 Max Tow/Max Payload?

After two 7+ week trips, and over 110 nights in our current 26BH, we are looking at moving to a 32TSBH for the added space. Current truck is a Ram 1500 with no room to add extra tongue weight.

So I figured my only option was a 2500, but have found that Ford can build an F150 to take on 2,600+ lbs of payload and tow up to 11,600 lbs. My Ram advertised payload is 1,400 lbs, so the F150 would provide nearly 1,200 lbs extra payload capacity, and 1,600 lbs in extra towing capability.

So I am wondering if anyone has one of the F150 Max Tow/Max Payloads, and what are they pulling with it, and any feedback/observations...

Thanks in advance
A bit after the fact for this post but figured it's worth a mention. I had a 2015 F150 XLT 3.5EB SCREW 4x4 w/Max Tow but my payload was only 1,699 lbs.. After me, the wife, dog and a cooler it was more like 1,200 lbs. Way under for my new "HT" 5'r.. LOL. I spoke the local Ford dealer and asked about that configuration. Based on the response I got, it might as well be a Unicorn I was looking for. They only had 3 of them in the whole Pacific NW. If I special ordered a 2017, it'd be about $45K and I'd have to wait 10 weeks to get it. To add insult to injury, that brand new Unicorn was about as vanilla as you can get - 300A package. Might as well be a "work" truck at that point. But that's the price you pay for max payload/tow.

Being the snowflake I am (LOL), I upgraded to a cushy F250 and got me some options!
Old 06-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #52

Ford does not have a mileage rating for there 250 Super Duty.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote