Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #1

Using Truck Lanes to Get Fuel

Just wondering is any of the forum members with large Travel Trailers or 5th Wheels use the truck lanes at truck stops to get fuel?

I have done it a few times, sure is much eaiser to get in and out!!!!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #2

I've also heard that the gallon per minute on the pumps is much higher and you can fuel up quicker.
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #3

I'll show my ignorance. I thought the truck lanes at truck stops only dispensed diesel?
yellowlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #4

I do it when the RV lanes or car lanes are full. The high flow pumps in the truck lanes have to be watched closely. Even on the slowest auto setting they can pump pretty fast, but you can fill up quickly.

Now if standing next to an idling big rig makes you nervous, it probably isn't for you. At times I have been standing between two of them, but still better than waiting for cars to get out of the way in the car lanes.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #5

At some stations, the only place diesel is dispensed is in the truck lanes. Sometimes automobile diesel pumps aren't accessible for a truck pulling a fifth wheel or trailer. In these cases, I use the truck diesel pumps. I do think working truckers (and me) appreciate it when a fueling lane isn't blocked while the driver goes inside to use the restroom, buy some candy, and get a sandwich.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowlab View Post
I'll show my ignorance. I thought the truck lanes at truck stops only dispensed diesel?
Yes, truck lanes only dispense diesel, so this question of only applies to those of us that have gone to the "Dark Side"
Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I do it when the RV lanes or car lanes are full. The high flow pumps in the truck lanes have to be watched closely. Even on the slowest auto setting they can pump pretty fast, but you can fill up quickly.

Now if standing next to an idling big rig makes you nervous, it probably isn't for you. At times I have been standing between two of them, but still better than waiting for cars to get out of the way in the car lanes.
Yep Ed, the pumps are quite fast and you have to take it easy when filling our "Little" trucks.

Standing next to idling big rig getting fuel is not much difference that stopping at rest areas that are full of big rigs and parking between them.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #8

No one has yet mentioned that in some areas the truck lanes cost more.. because of higher road tax on commercial vehicles.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
No one has yet mentioned that in some areas the truck lanes cost more.. because of higher road tax on commercial vehicles.
This I didn't know but am glad to find out. In what regions or areas is this affliction most common? Generally how much extra tax is added?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
This I didn't know but am glad to find out. In what regions or areas is this affliction most common? Generally how much extra tax is added?
Here is a example of the extra tax in Arizona

This is from the Arizona DOT Website

The State tax is $.18 per gallon for gasoline, and either $.18 or $.26 per gallon for diesel, depending on whether a diesel vehicle is light class/exempt or use class. The tax rate is required to be posted on each pump using decals issued by the Arizona Department of Transportation. ADOT enforces fuel tax laws, and violations involving tax rate decals may be reported to ADOT online.

The service station must refund the $.08 per gallon if you request it. If a pump is used for sales to both classes of vehicles, a decal listing the $.26 per gallon tax rate must be posted on that pump. Violations involving the $.08 refunds may be reported to ADOT online.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
Site Team

I only use the truck lanes if there is no RV or auto diesel pump or I judge the previously mentioned as inaccessible for me to get in/out of. However, I have taken a number of "driving tests" and inconvenienced some folks because I blocked other pumps and/or aisles in the process of filling at an auto diesel pump. I find that many filling stations are not "RV friendly" whether you're gas or diesel if you have to use the auto pumps. In my experience, I've found the best filling stations are those who have the diesel pump(s) on their own separate island. When the diesel pump is in with the gasoline pump(s), you are usually limited to which island you can use and also have to compete with gasoline powered vehicles. Many times I have had to wait for the island with the diesel pump because someone was refuelling with gasoline while there were "X" number of gasoline only islands that were completely open.

When I use a truck lane, I fill as quickly with that high-speed pump as possible, pay and get out. While I've never had any trouble, I've read postings on other forums from others who have gotten grief from truckers for using "their pumps".

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #12

Ive used the truck lanes for years. Most car lanes are hard to maneuver with a long 5er. Some stations like Pilot have RV lanes but some of those are in tight quarters so I still use the truck lanes. Ive never encountered these differences in prices, the price at the pump always seems to be the price advertised on the signs. Sometimes you cant pay at the pump though because you have to enter a DOT # or something and you need to go inside to pay.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #13

Pilot/Flying "J" advertise that the RV rewards card will activate the truck pump,and it does, so you don't have to go in first. I avoid the RV pump since too many people don't have the courtesy to pull forward when finished.

There are some "truck stops" that don't have diesel at the car pumps so you have to use the truck lane. Never had an issue with drivers being upset that I'm there. Again, just pull forward before you go into pay, just like the truckers do.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #14

A quick funny........I used the truck lanes one time and the pump said "high speed diesel". I asked the attendent what made the fuel "high speed." She replied "the speed at which it pumps."
Old 08-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #15

Seems the only place to get higher pressured air for tires that arent little car tires!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Pilot/Flying "J" advertise that the RV rewards card will activate the truck pump,and it does, so you don't have to go in first.
I wonder why they never told us?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #17

We always use the truck lanes.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #18

In some of the truck stops that I have stopped at, mainly Loves or Flying J's, they are also installing DEF pumps in the truck lanes. I keep a stock of it at home, but it's nice to be able to use a pump to dispense it when available.
I also keep my surgical gloves that I use for my sewer hose handy when I fuel up, as those pump handles in the truck lines can be pretty dirty.
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
Just wondering is any of the forum members with large Travel Trailers or 5th Wheels use the truck lanes at truck stops to get fuel?

I have done it a few times, sure is much eaiser to get in and out!!!!
I have found the pickup fuel tube will not allow me to set the nozzle on auto-feed- So I can't clean the windows while fueling- JMHO- DD
Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
At some stations, the only place diesel is dispensed is in the truck lanes. Sometimes automobile diesel pumps aren't accessible for a truck pulling a fifth wheel or trailer. In these cases, I use the truck diesel pumps. I do think working truckers (and me) appreciate it when a fueling lane isn't blocked while the driver goes inside to use the restroom, buy some candy, and get a sandwich.
I'm a trucker and never minded an RV in the truck lanes. Just handle your business and move forward. There is usually a lane just ahead of the fuel lane so as you can then go inside, which is a very common practice.
dpwelsher is offline   Reply With Quote