Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #1

WA State I-90 Snoqualmie Pass Delays

I didn't bother to check the pass conditions when we left yesterday to head eastbound with the camper from the Seattle area to eastern WA via I-90 (Snoqualmie pass). We encountered road construction and traffic delays of 60-90 minutes eastbound. Listening to the DOT radio alert while stuck they indicated the work will be going on all summer and both east and west bound will be affected.

If you have plans over the summer to travel this route either direction you can check ahead on the DOT web site for current conditions:

WSDOT - Snoqualmie Pass Road & Weather Conditions

Scroll down and you'll see a traffic map that appears to be updated every 2 minutes with current traffic conditions.

Of course, if the state legislature doesn't get it's act together in the next few days we will be headed for a partial shutdown which will affect all the State Parks in which case you may no longer need to cross the pass....

On the plus side - we were only a couple hours later than planned to the campsite and it's been a fabulous w/e so far....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #2

Okay, so will this effect ours travel this September, you think?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #3

Then again I remember that they was working there when we went to Sioux Iowa, we planning on leaving around 3:00 am so we might be okay.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:49 PM   #4

Big 1 , it would be best to not travel at night thru Mont. & Wyo. because that open range is full of animai movement all night long.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Okay, so will this effect ours travel this September, you think?
I listened to the DOT radio broadcast today on the way home. They state that the lane restrictions both directions will be in effect 24 hours a day until the end of August, so unless they don't finish on time you shouldn't have to deal with this particular issue in September. We on the other hand are headed back over the pass in about 3 weeks on our way to southern Utah, so I will certainly keep an eye on things between now and then and be better informed before heading out.

Todays trip home was about 2 hours longer than normal. That was partly due to a trailer roll-over accident in the median around the Cle Elum/Thorp area. The 5th wheeler - a Montana I think - was rolled partially on its roof facing west while the TV, what appeared to be a F150 - was detached and facing east. Although it was sitting upright, it clearly had rolled as well. By the time we went through they were into clean-up. Hope there were no serious injuries but the truck was pretty messed up.

Drive safely every one....
Old 06-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Big 1 , it would be best to not travel at night thru Mont. & Wyo. because that open range is full of animai movement all night long.
Especially on I-80 between Evanston and Salt Lake City. A friend and I almost hit one as we were driving to Evanston late one night (she was driving). We were doing around 65mph when a deer suddenly darted in front of us, then ducked back off the road. We missed it by inches. On our return to AZ a week later, in the morning, we saw several deer carcasses along the side of the road.

Up around Jackson Hole, bison, elk, cattle, deer, etc. are all free range and have free access to the roads. Dawn and dusk are the worst times.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Todays trip home was about 2 hours longer than normal. That was partly due to a trailer roll-over accident in the median around the Cle Elum/Thorp area. The 5th wheeler - a Montana I think - was rolled partially on its roof facing west while the TV, what appeared to be a F150 - was detached and facing east. Although it was sitting upright, it clearly had rolled as well. By the time we went through they were into clean-up. Hope there were no serious injuries but the truck was pretty messed up.

Drive safely everyone....
I was able to dig up a little bit more on the above accident we rolled by. I found it listed on a user-reported site of road conditions. In the comments somebody had posted that they knew the people involved and that the cause was a blown front tire on the TV that the driver was not able to control. According to the comments both occupants survived - one with minor injuries and one in serious condition.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:16 AM   #8

Okay, I will have to keep an eye out on leaving a little later, I just don't want to get caught up in that Seattle,Auburn traffic and heading toward North Bend it can be a pain.