Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
download the Allstays app. It will identify the WM that permits overnight stays. It will usually list the WM phone # so you can call and request permission. As always use good Wally-Docking Etiquette.

Kettrell & Sharon
Greyhawk 31DS
Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #12
Things may of changed by now because of the sh*tstorm this caused, but a few years ago in Billings, MT, (FWIU) the city passed a ordinance prohibiting parking an RV except in a campground. That caused issues with a lot of local RV owners who had their campers parked on the street in front of their homes.

Supposedly the ordinance came about as result of a couple of local campground operators complaining about "loss of business" to the Wal-Mart parking lot as well as a local hotel that installed RV hookups in their parking lot.

At the time, I did a LOT of traveling for work pulling a big trailer. My turbo diesel pickup had a 100 gal auxiliary tank in the back. With that kind of range, I was able to go from one end of Montana to the other without stopping to buy fuel at all, but especially in Billings.

FAA A&P mechanic, ex-RV dealer parts dept
Retired B-52 Gunner/Flight Examiner, B-52 Crew Chief

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #13
The most important thing about doing over nighters at Wal-Mart, rest stops, truck stops, or any other place that might allow it, is to have your wits about you. If you get a "prickly" sensation that something isn't right, it's because something isn't right. Pay attention to your "feelings".
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
Old 03-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
I can tell you from several cities that have banned overnight parking anywhere, including Wal Mart, HD etc, it is NOT because a campground complained. It's because of the undesirables it attracts. Crime, litter etc became a big issue, so for safety they banned over night stays. While it may be convenient to say it's the greedy campgrounds, it's the undesirables that caused it, just like happened in Cottonwood a few days ago. Would you be surprised if Cottonwood or the local Wal Mart just say no ? If I had a store etc I would not want the potential liability allowing people to camp in my parking lot, just not worth it, not in today's society. People have little respect for others and lawyers will go for the deepest pocket no matter what.

And with homeless increasing the situation may become more precarious. It's not the guy with a family that only wants to park for a few hours that is the problem. I just went to my local WalMart and was surprised to find a TT parked, with chairs outside, rug down...really? You think that's ok? Obviously they were not just looking to stay overnight as this was 10:30 in the morning and no vehicle was within 5 or 6 stalls of where the TT was.
2011 Toyota Tundra double cab
2015 27RLS
Old 03-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #15
I've overnighted at lots of Walmarts, all over the country. There was only one I wanted to stop at that didn't allow overnighters. I only had one problem- stupid kids walked past the TT and banged on the side with their hands. Kind of worried me, so I left.

At the Walmart in Port Angeles, WA I asked about overnighting, and they allowed up to 3 nights, which surprised me. I stayed two nights at that spot, and bought a lot of stuff while there.
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
Old 03-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #16
If I were you, I would plan on the very liberal policy at Walmarts going away soon. Like everything else, there are some who are ruining it for the rest of us. More and more vagrants are finding RV life appealing. Many on YouTube (i.e. Nomadic Fanatic) even glamorize that sort of lifestyle. Then there was this bit of news this week:

Christian band named after the end of days identified as group who got into deadly gunfight with police in Walmart parking lot | Daily Mail Online

When the liability to Walmart beings to exceed the modicum of revenue they receive for allowing RVs to stay overnight you can bet their policy will change.
Todd Klassy
Old 03-24-2015, 01:04 PM   #17
You might also consider brand name motels. Many will let you stop and sleep in their lots if you call ahead and ask. They do this for truckers too. Same rules apply as to Wal-mart, etc. Some municipalities won't allow it and pay attention to your "spidey sense".
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
Old 03-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #18
Have overnited at WW all over the country including Alaska [Palmer]. Have only ask a couple times, one when there were signs all over the parking lot prohibiting overnite parking. At that store, the manager walked outside with me and pointed out where to park. Have never been hassled or ask to leave. Also have rarely been the only RV in the lot. By dark there are almost always at least 3 or 4.

WW is happy for RVers to stay the nite because we spend $$'s while we're there. All this talk about trashing the parking lot or spending the summer makes a good story but its the regular customers who trash the lot. Rvers I've met appreciate the opportunity and I have been known to thank the manager the next morning as I'm buying groceries.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #19
Wal-Mart Atlas

Back in January I posted: For the list of Wal-Marts and those that don't allow RV parking - Google and go to the WALMARTATLAS site. Here you can find the Wal-Marts where you can 'overnight' and the rules they have.
"I just go where I'm towed to"

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71/4x4 Duramax
Son's 2016 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 + gifted 1984 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
Old 03-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #20
Thank Hattie, that might come in handy sometime.

2015 Jayco Jayflight 24FBS
2013 F150 Super Crew 3.5, 3:31
2004 f150 Super Crew 5.4, 3:73 traded
Closed Thread

« TV Mount | Ladder »