Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #1

Wanted solar.. bought a standby batt instead

Thought I would add this perspective for weekend warriors:

Bought an x18D last year, and LOVE IT! However, I seem to have this bad habit of booking camping trips with friends who don't need water or elect, so we end up boondocking.

Such is the case again this year. At least 2 trips w/o power. Concerned that our late June outing may require some bed fans, so I've been reading the solar forum for quite a while.

In the end: I purchased a 12v 100ah battery for $65. Put the 100 on the trailer, and now keeping the original 72ah batt as a swap-out if needed.

Last weekend we didn't conserve much just to test the battery theory (3 day weekend). Ran one bed fan at night, normal lights, water pump, etc. Ended with 12.1v standing on the battery and never reached for the other batt.

As much as I'd LOVE to play with solar panels & stuff... I am happy with my extra battery at a fraction of the cost.

Your mileage and voltage may vary, but thought I'd put it out there.. since I spent all winter thinking about this issue. $70 may be the solution for you.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Question... is your battery box mounted in back or in front of the LP tanks? If it is mounted in back you may have room to add a second battery box and a marine battery selector/cut off switch, so that you can switch between batteries. And eventually replace the 72 Ah battery with a 100 Ah battery and hook them in parallel so there is no need to switch them out.

I looked up your model and saw pictures of the X18D with a battery in front of the LP tanks and one picture in back of the LP tanks?

SOLAR is great, but it is not for everyone's camping lifestyle.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #3

Battery x18D

Battery box is behind the LP tanks. I had the thought of possibly buying a matching batt & hooking them together. Might still do that.

But as much as I WANTED to buy solar & do cool things, I thought I'd bring up the possibility of doing the unmanly thing & just buying a second battery.
OR.. stop booking sites w/o electric and water!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5swigerts View Post
OR.. stop booking sites w/o electric and water!
I would not stop booking those trips without electric and water, unless of course they are not the greatest friends, which I doubt is the case. Just watch the battery voltage levels (get an inexpensive digital voltage monitor that plugs into your 12VDC accessory outlet) and enjoy the company. You can always back the TV up to the TT and charge it for a little bit to put a little juice back into the battery if necessary.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #5

True. We've been camping with some of these friends for 18+ years now. I'd much rather have the friendships than 120v.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5swigerts View Post
As much as I'd LOVE to play with solar panels & stuff... I am happy with my extra battery at a fraction of the cost.
Playing with solar doesn't have to be expensive. I have a Coleman 40W crystalline panel and controller that I bought for about C$80 (US$60). It keeps my battery topped up both at the CG and while at the storage facility (I leave it flat on the roof in storage yard).
I also bought 20 LED bulbs for under US$50 and converted the whole trailer over to keep current draw down.
Neither of these were very expensive, and keep us going through a long weekend without needing to spring for the big expense of a generator.
It is fun to play with this, and doesn't have to be very expensive.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote