Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2015, 02:35 PM   #1

Warranty in Canada

Has anyone ever needed to have warranty work done in Canada on a unit purchased in the US. I am interested in knowing if the warranty was done at a Jayco Dealer or an independent repair shop. If independent how was the cost covered.

We have been told Canadian dealers are not obligated to do warranty on US sold units.
Cooper2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Did that come from a Canadian dealer?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #3

Ladder

My wife spoke directly to Jayco, we have had comments from Local Canadian dealers who said warranty would be an issue.
Cooper2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #4

Canadian jayco dealers are obligated to do warranty work regardless of which country you purchase your trailer. I purchased my first pop up trailer in michigan and had it fixed in ontario with no problem.
benwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 PM   #5

I'm in canada and Jayco confirmed that the canadian dealer have the obligation to take your US TT in for warranty repairs, however they have apparently the tendency to put you at the end of the waiting list even for small stuf but they cant deny warranty....my dealers said the same a few months later

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #6

When I brought my Jayco in for a warranty repair late last summer the first question they asked was "where did you buy it?" When I told them it was bought from their dealership I was given an apt for later that week. I'm sure if I had bought it from somewhere else I was at the back of the line.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #7

My dealer actually called me last fall and asked if they could bump my appointment as there was an American with a broken unit stuck here. I happily obliged and they looked after the fellow as quickly as they could, to help them get on the way. However, if he had bought it from the competition 2 hours away, the response may have been different.

Like most things the quality of the dealership will be the determining factor.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:33 AM   #8

IF you are a local and bought from somewhere else you can expect to be bumped to the back of the line. Why should the dealer prioritize you??? IF you are from out of town most dealers will bend over backwards to help you when you have a problem.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #9

I was asked where I purchased my trailer too but was treated fairly even though I purchased out of town. I would not accept being treated differently for purchasing elsewhere... The dealer is still getting paid regardless.i asked them why it mattered where I purchased my trailer and they told me if was for entering my personal information only
Old 04-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
IF you are a local and bought from somewhere else you can expect to be bumped to the back of the line. Why should the dealer prioritize you??? IF you are from out of town most dealers will bend over backwards to help you when you have a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwa View Post
I was asked where I purchased my trailer too but was treated fairly even though I purchased out of town. I would not accept being treated differently for purchasing elsewhere... The dealer is still getting paid regardless.i asked them why it mattered where I purchased my trailer and they told me if was for entering my personal information only
I have to agree with Seann on this one and say benwa your fooling yourself if you think that this doesn't happen. After spending 25 years in a auto dealership I have seen local people who don't buy their vehicles at the local dealer put at the end of the list when it comes to getting work done. My dealer principal would have turned then away if he could have. If it is a warranty issue this applies even more due to the fact of warranty rates and some companies pay a lower rate for warranty to the dealer. The dealer that I used to work for actually has a tiered labour rate (they call it discounted for their preferred customers) for those who purchased from them or elsewhere. This being said out of town customers were always looked after as quick as they could be. The Dealer can always just put you off if that is his wish.

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #11

I have to disagree. We live in a global market and the dealers have to cater to the consumer... The Internet has made the consumer king, whether buying a new product or servicing an existing unit. If you settle for second best then that is what you will receive.. The auto industry is a different animal altogether as free trade has not been effective in this respect. If you purchase a vehicle out of country then your warranty is null and void outside the country of purchase. A well informed consumer will always prevail... I am not lookng to argue but I research everything I purchase and will never let a dealer have the upper hand.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwa View Post
What I am saying is that if it comes to a dealer choosing if he services a customer that he sold a unit to and a customer that bought from a competing dealer he will service his customer first every time! As for where you purchased your unit he can get that information from your unit serial number when he enters it into the computer, he doesn't need to ask you! As for an upper hand I'm not sure what you mean but the dealer is there to sell and service units while making a profit, no profit no dealer.....he is making a profit from you. The dealer does not sell at a loss unless he is trying to sell outdated stock and is still likely turning a profit or breaking even.

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote