Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #1

Warranty Work while FTiming? Any suggestions?

We are currently FTiming and need some warranty work done.

We're pretty new to RVing and we're not sure how long it's going to take them to do the work, or what the process will be, so any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

It basically has our lives inside of it (Valuable, documents, meds, guns, etc...) Do we need to pack all of this up and remove it while it's being serviced? I imagine some comments will be: "How much do you trust the dealer where you're getting it serviced?" etc...So I'm just trying to get a feel of what other FTimers have done/do.

Of course, I wasn't born yesterday and we would use caution and unless they can fix it while I'm with it...uhhh.

It just seems like a very large under taking to empty it, which is why I'm asking for some suggestions.

The rig is less than a year old and we want to get it in and fixed before the 1 year mark even though we have a 2 year warranty.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #2

I would just remove all valuables and important papers. If they need to steal my pancake turner or underware so be it. Unless it's really valuable they probably don't need it. I would also take what I need for a short stay outside of the RV and for longer stays I'm sure they would let you go back and reload and restock whatever you need.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #3

I'd call an see what there lead times are. The local dealer here is 3 weeks behind in their service dept. Might help to know before you get there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #4

What needs fixing? Call JAYCO and see if there is a mobile service guy/company near where you're at that they will work with. You may have to pay for the trip charge, but that's better than a motel room.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #5

So, our dealer is saying 3-4 weeks of wait time AFTER they diagnose and then 2-3 weeks IN the shop! Are you kidding me?

What we need repaired is the linoleum outside the bathroom door, a couple of window seals replaced, and the door to the out door kitchen adjusted.

What good is my warranty if I have to pay thousands of dollars in hotel rooms to get something repaired?

I'm planning on calling them tomorrow to see about a mobile service call. We also have an Xtraride warranty that I'm going to see about.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #6

An there's that warranty complaint again. Since you researched the warranty prior to purchase and understood the warranty why did you proceed with your purchase I'm confused? No where in the warranty does it state you will get same day service at your convienence and if the dealer is backed up we will support you until repairs are made. If you did read that let me know where please.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #7

My unit has been in for warranty work since October. I was expecting the repair to take 4-6 weeks initially. Thank goodness I didn't take it during peak season!

Its winter here, I just got winter storage I figure, it should be done in a few weeks. Dealer has been great at communicating and since I don't need it, I have been willing to accommodate as they have been very open with why the delays occurred. I had a fairly good list of issues for them to address, but yes, it took quite a while. I think there was a lot of lag time between them to diagnose the issue, and then for Jayco to approve the warranty work. Then they found more when they started they had to have Jayco approve yet again. They have a lot of man hours in the thing.

Our main issue was the drip pan on the refrigerator was mis-installed and draining into the RV when it defrosted in storage, so it damaged some of the woodwork. My understanding is they basically had to rebuild the island in its entirety and replace some of the other cabinet facia in the main living area. In addition we had some issues with wallpaper separating in several areas they were going to address, and they are realigning a slide that was starting to be rough.

As for valuables, I basically did the winter cleanout before I took the unit in, so what was left was Chairs, Kitchen supplies, Tiki Torches, etc. TV was out, probably nothing individually exceeding $100 or so was in it so I didn't worry too much.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #8

You're in for an unpleasant surprise.... I've been dealing with Jayco non-stop for the 2 months I've owned the product. I'm also a full timer and with the exception of a replacement TV which took 3 weeks to receive and 2 dealers, Jayco has not assisted me on any of my other warranty items. They did offer mobile service with the following caveat, you must pay for any and all service calls, you must pay for the repair and then request re-imbursement from Jayco. The mobile service must visit your RV, photograph and document the problem and then send that information to Jayco for repair/service pre-authorization. They will then come back to your location for said repair. In my area, the mobile repair firms that work in my RV Park charge from $80 - $110 for each service call. When I mentioned Jayco, none of them wanted to get involved. So I've been using each of the 4 service firms for various repairs and paying for them myself (Single Call Repairs). With the exception of the mattress and TV, each of the repairs has been under $175... Mobile service firms are pretty good so far, they all have common parts with them and get my leaks and whatnot repaired quickly.

I have nothing but negative comments, thoughts and experiences regarding Jayco, their product, warranty and service.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #9

Careful if mentioning that you Full Time and your unit being out of service for weeks would create undo hardship on you.

I've never heard of Jayco denying claims for FTers, however they could, the warranty's very first sentence is very clear that it only applies when the unit is being used for its intended purpose; "recreational travel and camping".

The Jayco warranty covers this recreational vehicle (“RV”), when used only for its intended purpose of recreational travel and camping, for two (2) years.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
An there's that warranty complaint again. Since you researched the warranty prior to purchase and understood the warranty why did you proceed with your purchase I'm confused? No where in the warranty does it state you will get same day service at your convienence and if the dealer is backed up we will support you until repairs are made. If you did read that let me know where please.

What other product on the planet requires months to get the product serviced under warranty? If an owner were to have multiple separate issues during the course of the 2 year warranty Jayco and their Dealers could literally be in possession of your RV more than the Owner...

BTW, I've read the warranty over and over and over, no where does it state you should plan on leaving your RV for months at a time when warranty work is required. Why don't they disclose that information and see how many buyers move to another product...

Easy fix to this problem, Jayco should authorize non-dealer repairs.. They won't however as that wouldn't allow them to avoid millions of dollars in warranty repairs every year...
Old 03-20-2017, 06:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewind View Post
So, our dealer is saying 3-4 weeks of wait time AFTER they diagnose and then 2-3 weeks IN the shop! Are you kidding me?

What we need repaired is the linoleum outside the bathroom door, a couple of window seals replaced, and the door to the out door kitchen adjusted.

What good is my warranty if I have to pay thousands of dollars in hotel rooms to get something repaired?

I'm planning on calling them tomorrow to see about a mobile service call. We also have an Xtraride warranty that I'm going to see about.
Sounds like you only have a few minor repairs. I'd try the mobile service route. I talked with a mobile service guy the other day who has done Jayco warranty on site. His only gripe was waiting forever to get paid for repairs. I know a few full timers that have taken their units in. Depending on the issues, you may have a pretty good wait what so you definitely have to plan for that. Some go visit family for awhile they say. I'm not a full timer but I take anything of value out and store it in u haul storage. I'm emptying my unit out right now to go in for another round of warranty. Hopefully not another 6 months in the shop this time. Good Luck!
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote