Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #1

Water Heater Adjustment

I have a 2005 Jayfeather 29Y with an Atwood Electric/Propane Water heater. I've not used propane yet. When using electric the water gets warm but not hot. I've read the manual and it mentions adjusting the temperature and warns not to set it too hot. However, there is no mention (as far as I can tell) on where the adjustment is at. When I take the outside cover off there is no knob that controls the temp. The manual also mentions that the heaters come from the factory preset on low and recommends that you do not go to the highest setting. Does anyone know how to adjust the temperature on this water heater ?
Liontiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #2

Snap a pic of your heater. Where u from in IL? Im from Highland, about 40 miles from St. Louis. grew up in Marion. I noticed our water heater needs to be turned down a bit so Im gonna investigate this problem.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #3

Here is a link to Atwood manuals that has diagrams of two types of hot water controls and information about adjusting/repairing Atwood hot water heaters. http://www.carterd.com/customer/cadi...als%202007.pdf The diagrams show a round temperature control on one type of control and a temperature control lever at the top of the control on the other.

Hope this proves helpful.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #4

hi we are true newbies never mind hot water temp control we could not find our heater on our first trip the manual said to turn some lever to take it off bypass and we just could not find it we think it is hidden behind plywood in the bath closet. We did not use it this time out boiled water and used campsite shower. Did not find the fan switch until day of leaving and I could not turn the oven on could not figure it out. Boy do we need help.
ken suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

ken suzanne,

Sorry you had such tough luck on your first trip in your new (or perhaps new to you) trailer. We can best help you if we know what model you have.

One way to locate your hot water heater is to go outside your trailer and find the vented and hinged door that is approximately 18 inches by 18 inches. Open that door and you will find the hot water heater burner tube and controls. The hot water reservoir will be inside your trailer at this same location--perhaps behind a cabinet door of some type. Once you find the reservoir inside your trailer you will observe the bypass valves installed in the water lines connected to the hot water reservoir.

The oven is probably regulated by a knob on the front edge of the cook top. The pilot light and burner for the oven is located inside the oven at the bottom. Before trying to light the oven pilot you will want to light one of the stove top burners momentarily to ensure that all the air has been purged from the gas line and that gas will be available at the pilot when you attempt to light it. To light the oven, turn the oven control knob to the pilot position and push it in and hold it as you light the pilot--hold the knob in for several seconds after the pilot lights. Use a long-barreled butane lighter to light the pilot. If the pilot does not stay lit when you release the oven control knob, light the pilot again and hold the knob in longer this time (the pilot will heat a sensor that, when sufficiently heated, will hold the gas supply valve open for oven burner operation). Once the pilot stays lit, turn the oven knob to the desired temperature.

Hope this helps. Post often and ask as many questions as you like. Forum members like to help--all of us were newbies once upon a time!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken suzanne View Post
hi we are true newbies never mind hot water temp control we could not find our heater on our first trip the manual said to turn some lever to take it off bypass and we just could not find it we think it is hidden behind plywood in the bath closet. We did not use it this time out boiled water and used campsite shower. Did not find the fan switch until day of leaving and I could not turn the oven on could not figure it out. Boy do we need help.
Hi Ken and Suzanne, Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum! Sorry to hear of your rough start into the rv world. Remember that many other rv'ers have walked in your shoes and are extremely helpful to newbies as a result. If you find yourself in that situation again, check with the campground office to see if there is anyone around that can share their knowlege with you. ... possibly even check with your "neighbors" as they might have needed answers for you. What year and model Jayco do you have?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken suzanne View Post
Like others have said, we've all been there at one time. Best advise; when you can't find or figure something out and you have cell phone (or any phone) service call the factory and ask to speak to a technician on whatever problem you're having. They won't think bad of you as they're there to help. You may have to leave you number for them to return the call but they're usually pretty quick. One last thing, if you do call the factory be sure to have the last 8 digits of your trailer's vin number handy as they'll need it to look your particular unit up. I'm one of those guys that believes when you can figure something out call the gang that built it. Heck, you'd paid a fair price for the unit so get your money's worth.

Ain't campin' great when you can't figure something out!?! Many years ago we drove across country and couldn't figured out how to light the oven so don't feel bad. I did finally stick my head in it and saw where the pilot light would burn so "someone" fixed biscuits for me that evening.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #8

Yup ... been there & needed to swallow my pride once or twice and ask someone for help! Anything I just couldn't deal with, I asked my DW to find the answers.....lol, sometimes she 'found' the answers faster & easier than I did! This forum is a great start, but consider finding someone experienced to take you around your new purchase. Once you know and are comfortable with your TT the more fun you'll have...

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #9

Wink

Thanks to all that replied we purchased our unit in the States had a very short walk through several months before we used it. We did go down to the local dealer with a list of several questions and got them all answered. We plan to test this all out in the driveway before we head out. I must add that we had a grand time anyway and we just love out unit.

First time on a forum love all the ideas that are shared thanks to all that have replied I am sure we will have loads of questions.
We have a 2009 Jayflight F22 (Brand New off the lot)
2008 Chevy Silverado pulling package
ken suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #10

Greetings LionTiger !! Central Illinois here !! (and a newbie)

Hope you get everything ironed out. Our Water Heater is under the sink. It wouldnt light until we engauged the switch we forgot about. We purchased used ('02) a few weeks back and really like it. I havent had time to open things up and start exploring, but hope to soon.
Everyone seems to be real helpful and friendly here.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #11

Ken & Suzanne...tell me, was it worth going down south to buy? You clearly saved on the taxes initially, but were there any problems registering/importing the trailer here? I considered doing the same thing initially, but believed it would be too big a pain to go through the Cdn red-tape to get ownership sorted out in Ont.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #12

2014 Jayco Electric hot water heater adjustment

Ok, this thread has been dead awhile, I just bought a 2014 Jayco 264BH Swift, is there anyway to adjust the electric hot water heater temperature? If so, where is it located?
Gfritz is offline   Reply With Quote