Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #1

Water heater OOPs

Hey,

I noticed when I got home yesterday after a 5 hour trip home and parked the RV that the electric water heater was still on. What are the odds that the burner is shot now. Wasn't able to check last night as I was parking it at the storage building.

Thanks

I have a 2013 Jayco JayFlight 28 BHBE
DarylSCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #2

PS I didn't drain the tank, but I'm fairly new (3rd trip) at this. Does water stay in the tank all the time if you don't drain it. And, if we leave the camper in storage for 4 - 5 weeks, do we need to clean it out before using the hot water.
DarylSCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Chances are that there is no damage. When you disconnected your RV from the campsite pedestal, the water heater should have kicked into the gas mode. In either event, as long as there is water in the tank, there should be no damage. Water does stay in the tank if you do not drain it. We drain ours after each trip cuz if you leave it in there it gets kinda stinky after awhile.
on edit...make sure that if you drain it, you fill the water heater before turning it on the next time you use the camper or it will burn out

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

You should be ok. The electric water heater runs on 110V, so as soon as you unplug from the pedestal it will not heat the water. I'm guessing from your original post that you had the electric heater on and the LPG heater off. Also, unless you opened the low point drains or your water heater drain your water heater should still be full of water. We leave ours full all the time and only empty it when it's time to winterize - we've never had a problem with stinky water.
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
EnricoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
When you disconnected your RV from the campsite pedestal, the water heater should have kicked into the gas mode.
Not true. Only the refrigerator will automatically switch to gas upon loss of 110V. The water heater has two independent switches to control gas and/or electric.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricog View Post
you should be ok. The electric water heater runs on 110v, so as soon as you unplug from the pedestal it will not heat the water. I'm guessing from your original post that you had the electric heater on and the lpg heater off. Also, unless you opened the low point drains or your water heater drain your water heater should still be full of water. We leave ours full all the time and only empty it when it's time to winterize - we've never had a problem with stinky water.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #7

The only thing to be careful with is not turning on the electric heater switch without water in the tank. I would suggest taping over the switch or do something to remind you not to turn it on after you have winterized or drained the tank. For that reason I never drain the tank until its time to winterize. With my memory I would smoke it the first time I tried.

What you did won't cause any problem since the elec kicked off as soon as you unplugged. I think the gas side will stay on as long as you have 12v available. Either way no issue if you have water in the tank. Once the water is heated it will stay hot for a long time.

Make yourself a check list for set up and tear down. Follow the same SOP every time. Helps you keep from forgetting things like turning off the pump, water heater or furnace. Other things people [even veterans] forget are the roof T V ant, the entry steps, the storage doors open and my frequent one not picking up the chocks behind the wheels. Fortunately we use the cheap orange plastic ones so its no biggie but ripping off you entry steps won't be so cheap.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Not true. Only the refrigerator will automatically switch to gas upon loss of 110V. The water heater has two independent switches to control gas and/or electric.
Oooops! your are right. Got my appliances mixed up.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #9

Daryl- I agree with Bassdogs. Being someone who can easily get sidetracked I created a checklist , had it laminated and keep it in my camper. It has saved me several times from missing something in the packing up process. I also created one covering everything I need to do to fully winterize my unit.
Barndog is offline   Reply With Quote