Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2015, 01:12 AM   #1

Water Heater Still Full When Hose Disconnected?

Stupid question...sorry.

Does the water heater still have water even after you unhook the water hose to it? I assume it does.

I ask this question because I assume that it is better (and OK) to keep the water heater on overnight while still using the RV when camping to keep the water inside the water heater from freezing, right?
Old 10-04-2015, 01:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Klassy View Post
Stupid question...sorry.

Does the water heater still have water even after you unhook the water hose to it? I assume it does.

I ask this question because I assume that it is better (and OK) to keep the water heater on overnight while still using the RV when camping to keep the water inside the water heater from freezing, right?
Yes, it will have water in it until you drain it, using the hwt drain plug on the HWT itself, or the low point drain for the hot water run..
U can turn the hot water heater off over night to save propane and it will stay pretty warm still. The tank is insulated so I doubt it would freeze easily.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #3

There is no stupid question. Echoing what Skaling said. The water heater will hold water in it. Though, clarifying; when in use you can certainly turn off the water heater to save on propane and it will not freeze. However, since you are asking this question, let me over simplify things.
When you are going to store the TT (whether over the winter or even for a couple weeks of the summer) it is always a good practice to drain the water heater. Make sure it is turned off and cool. open the access door and you will see the pressure release valve and in a lower corner a nylon looking bolt (around 3/4" or 15/16") (or if your water heater has an Anode rod, it will be a metal bolt), remove that bolt and let the tank drain.
Opening the low point drains will not always drain the water heater.
Since you live in Montana, it is imperative you winterize your TT unless you are storing in inside a climate controlled facility.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #4

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate them.

As a professional photographer I am an active user of my RV. I work on the road. One month here, one month there, and I will be slow rolling south out of Montana once it gets too cold. That's the reason for the question. I know I need to winterize my travel trailer/RV if I were to store my RV for the winter, but I will be USING my RV in the winter. The bottom of my RV is insulated, so I'm told my potable water and gray water tanks will not freeze until about 0 degrees F. I don't know if I believe that, so I'm going to make sure they stay well above 20 degrees F.

So, I've been told NOT to drain my gray water tank at night. Instead I will add just some RV antifreeze when I think it will freeze to my gray water. I have also purchased a small ceramic heater for the bathroom and I have insulated the storage area beneath/behind it. I don't have black water since I have a composting toilet. Check.

I plan on winterizing the potable water tank, since I don't see myself doing any long term boondocking during the winter months. Check.

But I was worried about the hot water heater. I generally only turn on my water heater 15 minutes before I need hot water and keep it off otherwise. I think in climates where it will dip below freezing at night I will make sure it's running before bed...turn it off before bed...and turn it back on for a spell in the morning. My gas furnace also blows hot air into the undercarriage where the potable water and gray water tanks are located so I'm now accustomed to turning on the gas furnace in the morning to blow hot air there, despite preferring my electric heater.

Thanks for your input. It is most valuable.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Be aware that on very cold nights the valves can freeze so if you are camping and the valve won't open normally, don't force it as you can do damage, When it warms up some, it will be fine.
If your rig has a enclosed underbelly, it will have some protection if the furnace is running.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #6

Thanks for that last bit of information. Makes good sense.