Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2014, 03:48 AM   #1

Water Hose Questions

Do most people use regular water hoses or buy the drinking water hoses like the camper stores sell? I won't be drinking from mine as most people don't. I've noticed some are white some are blue is one better? Do I need a water filter or a pressure regulator? I've seen 10,20, and 35 foot ones what is a good length to buy? Also how do you store them on a reel or ?
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:23 AM   #2

If your system has been properly maintained there should be no reason you cannot drink the water in your RV. In addition to the taste issue (which doesn't matter if you won't be drinking it) you should use a filter to keep out particles that may cause problems in the valves. You need the pressure regulator because the RV is probably only rated to ~60 PSI. I have been to campsites where the water pressure was 110 PSI.

As for hose lengths I carry 2 10 FT and a 25 FT white drinking water hoses and a 25 FT garden hose for the black tank flusher. The white and blue drinking water hoses will not leach chemicals from the hose material into the water as a standard garden hose would. To store them I simply roll them up and connect the ends together. No reels.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #3

I guess if you only use your RV occasionally it might make sense to not drink water from the fresh water tank since you wouldn't have to sanitize it. In my case I drink the water from my tank just like it was coming out of a tap at my s&b. Tastes the same to me. I do have a white hose, pressure regulator and two stage filter (first stage is a 1 micron particulate filter and the second stage is a 1 micron charcoal filter). I have to change the first stage filter every 2-3 months depending on where I am and the quality of their water. The charcoal filter is changed once a year.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #4

We carry water for drinking, ice cubes and coffee.

Even so we still use C/G water for dishes showers and toilet. Starting at the CG water spigot, I usually install the regulator (make sure it has a particle screen), then a water splitter, then two hoses off the the water splitter....a 25' hose goes to a 5 micron filter, then into to the TT City Water Connection...... the second hose (from the water splitter) is my 10" spare/extension hose which I can hook-up a shower or spray head for rinsing (whatever) outdoors.

When you finish camping, drain as much water from the hoses as possible, and connect the ends together to keep out insects and avoid contamination

Good Luck
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #5

A pressure regulator is a must, I put it on the faucet. I carry 2 25ft hoses and 1 10 foot hose and two filters, one for sediment and one is charcoal. We cook and drink bottled water and the camper water if for dishes and showers. My best hose came from ACE hardware, the ones made in China don't last.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #6

There is absolutely no reason not to use/drink the water in your holding tank, provided the water comes from a reliable source, and you've properly sanitized and flushed it (3-5 times after sanitizing). After flushing it, I fill it with a white hose with a "blue" filter on the end. Water always tastes great. I carry two 25' white hoses that have always been plenty long when hooked together. After filling my tanks and disconnecting from the spigot, I blow air through the male end of the hose to remove as much water as possible. I coil it up, screw the ends together, and use one of those Velcro straps to keep it all neat & tidy. I also keep my hose-end filter in the fridge between uses, to prevent bacteria growth. Except to test them, I've never used the city water connection on my trailers. All my camping is done at state parks that don't have water connections at the campsites - only at the dump/fill stations. In anticipation of using them in the future, I have purchased a water pressure regulator, a "Y" connector, and a 25' garden hose for my black tank flush.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #7

Exactly what Brownie says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
There is absolutely no reason not to use/drink the water in your holding tank, provided the water comes from a reliable source, and you've properly sanitized and flushed it (3-5 times after sanitizing). After flushing it, I fill it with a white hose with a "blue" filter on the end. Water always tastes great. I carry two 25' white hoses that have always been plenty long when hooked together. After filling my tanks and disconnecting from the spigot, I blow air through the male end of the hose to remove as much water as possible. I coil it up, screw the ends together, and use one of those Velcro straps to keep it all neat & tidy. I also keep my hose-end filter in the fridge between uses, to prevent bacteria growth. Except to test them, I've never used the city water connection on my trailers. All my camping is done at state parks that don't have water connections at the campsites - only at the dump/fill stations. In anticipation of using them in the future, I have purchased a water pressure regulator, a "Y" connector, and a 25' garden hose for my black tank flush.
2005 Cedar Creek 31LBHS
2001 Sprinter 303BHS
1997 Mallard 33Z
1990 Starcraft Starmaster[/I]
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #8

One problem with connecting the hose ends together while wet - mold can form inside the hose because it never dries. I leave the ends open for drying - then flush out any critters that might have gotten in there with fresh water next camping trip.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote