Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #1

Water near Sonoma Raceway

I hope this is the right place to post this, if not I apologize in advance.
For the June 24th weekend we will be taking our X17z to the Sonoma Raceway and will be dry camping on the track property. We will be coming from Southern California, we are all set with our Go Power Solar panels etc.
My concern is water, don't really want to haul So Cal water all the way up.
Anyone out there have any suggestions on good places to fill up water tank when we get closer to our destination?
Thanks in advance.
paveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

You shouldn't have any problems. Any truck stop will have water..
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paveguy View Post
I hope this is the right place to post this, if not I apologize in advance.
For the June 24th weekend we will be taking our X17z to the Sonoma Raceway and will be dry camping on the track property. We will be coming from Southern California, we are all set with our Go Power Solar panels etc.
My concern is water, don't really want to haul So Cal water all the way up.
Anyone out there have any suggestions on good places to fill up water tank when we get closer to our destination?
Thanks in advance.
We camped on the Northern California coast last weekend, and on our way back to Reno we stopped at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds RV park. For $10 we were able to dump, and were told we could use the fresh water to fill the tank's if needed. It's a little bit out of the way but the first thing that comes to mind.
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #4

Thanks to both your replies...
Truck stop, looked on Google maps, nothing really that close but will keep on looking.

Sonoma Fairgrounds, further than the destination, but a good alternative if we can't find something closer and on the way.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #5

Does the track have accommodations? I camp at Road America every summer and they have a dump area and fresh water.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax_83 View Post
Does the track have accommodations? I camp at Road America every summer and they have a dump area and fresh water.
They have mobile services for both dumping and potable water, which is OK, but they are not set times and I don't want to have to wait for them to show up in the area I am in. After 8 hours of driving there, I would like to take a shower after we get set up.

Based upon suggestions above I have found Solano County Fairgrounds in Vallejo which is relatively close and on our way. I am going to call them today to see if I can stop on the way and purchase water from them. Wish me luck.

Of course always looking for other suggestions just in case Solano does not work out.

Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #7

Don't fully fill the tank. I don't want to haul a lot of water in the tanks across long distances either, but always have a few gallons in there for flushing the toilet on the road. I'd just bring enough for that quick shower and essential use, and fill up when the truck comes round. You don't need much water for a Navy shower...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Don't fully fill the tank. I don't want to haul a lot of water in the tanks across long distances either, but always have a few gallons in there for flushing the toilet on the road. I'd just bring enough for that quick shower and essential use, and fill up when the truck comes round. You don't need much water for a Navy shower...
That's an excellent idea, thank you.
I did chat with the raceway today and they are telling me it will take no more than 30 minutes from the time I call the water truck to get to me.
Of course 30 gallons of water delivered is only $50
Old 06-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #9

There is a camping world in Vacaville that you are likely to drive right past on your way to the track. I imagine they have fresh water available. If not, I'm sure a call to them can connect you is with a location near by that does.

$50 for 30 gallons is very high. You could go to nearly any grocery store and buy gallon + jugs of water for less than $1 gallon. In fact many have filtered water for sale bulk that you can fill water cooler 5gal jugs for $0.25 a gallon. I would do that before spending $50 for 30 gallons.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #10

What is your travel route? Are you coming up 101 or Hwy 5? You should not have any trouble finding a truck stop outside the SF Bay Area while on 5.
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcycle View Post
What is your travel route? Are you coming up 101 or Hwy 5? You should not have any trouble finding a truck stop outside the SF Bay Area while on 5.
Since I want to avoid tolls and ferries, the route I am taking is.
5 north, hwy CA12 west, 80 west, hwy CA37 west.
Closest major town I see on the route and closest to the track is Vallejo..
Old 06-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #12

At the intersection of Hwy 5 and 12 is a large truck stop. I have stopped there for gas in the past but did not look for water. However if you could fill up there the rest of the drive to Sonoma is not all that far.
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #13

Thanks, looked it up on google...
Flying J's or Loves Travel stop right there...
That should work....many thanks...
Old 06-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #14

Highway 12 is a small country 2 lane road from Lodi to Rio Vista. If I was towing I might consider just taking I5 to I80 and skipping 12. By the miles it's likely longer but actual travel time I imagine it's a wash.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sonoma, water