Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #1

WDH with stiffer suspension

So we are about half way through our waiting period on our new WhiteHawk, the snowmobile season is winding down , and I'm starting to gear up for camping season .

One question I have - is there anything different on adjusting a WDH (Equalizer 4way) if I have a snow plow prep on the truck? When the plow was installed, the torsion bars were cranked up a bit for added preload, as well as the plow prep package included stiffer bars. Just wondering if there is anything I need to do differently when adjusting everything. Obviously, the plow will never be on while towing - but the front end is stiffer than it came from the factory.

Thanks for any insight!
DuckHunterJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #2

There shouldn't be. You adjust the hitch according to the height spec for your front fenders, which should be somewhere in your owners manual.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #3

My torsion bars are cranked up to level the truck, and with a chain/bar WDH, maybe I need an extra link to bring the back fenders up to level with the front? Not real sure because this is my first WDH which was installed after the torstion bars where cranked, but she pulls great the way I set it up.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #4

Thanks, that's about what I figured - a bit of extra oomph on the WDH bars - but wanted to check to be sure. With no load, the truck is sitting perfectly level right now. I'm assuming I'll be able to set up the WDH to keep it level once loaded.
DuckHunterJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckHunterJon View Post
Thanks, that's about what I figured - a bit of extra oomph on the WDH bars - but wanted to check to be sure. With no load, the truck is sitting perfectly level right now. I'm assuming I'll be able to set up the WDH to keep it level once loaded.
I have snow plow prep on my truck. Chances are you will be slightly higher in the front once you get a good setup on your WDH. To compensate for the very strong front end and weaker rear spring setup I had to add Timbrens to mine to get close to level once setup.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
So we are about half way through our waiting period on our new WhiteHawk, the snowmobile season is winding down , and I'm starting to gear up for camping season .

One question I have - is there anything different on adjusting a WDH (Equalizer 4way) if I have a snow plow prep on the truck? When the plow was installed, the torsion bars were cranked up a bit for added preload, as well as the plow prep package included stiffer bars. Just wondering if there is anything I need to do differently when adjusting everything. Obviously, the plow will never be on while towing - but the front end is stiffer than it came from the factory.

Thanks for any insight!
The primary purpose for the WDH load bars is to transfer part of the trailer tongue weight to the truck's front axle. The hitch manufacturer manual states the load bar tension should reduce the amount the front end lifts when the trailer is hitched to the truck; for some trucks it is ALL the lift, for others it is 1/2 the lift. The manufacturer should be able tell you if snow plow prep changes that amount.

The Equal-i-zer WDH also uses load bar friction on both the hitch head and L-brackets for their anti-sway. If the load is too little on those bars, you may not have all the friction for good sway control.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #7

Quote:
No extra oomph needed.. when hooked up to the TV raise the tongue jack way up and you can put the WD bars on with one finger.. that is why most of us have gone to electronic tongue jack.. Most dealers are too lazy to tell you about this . Happy camping..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTripperS View Post
My torsion bars are cranked up to level the truck, and with a chain/bar WDH, maybe I need an extra link to bring the back fenders up to level with the front?........snip
The main function of a WDH is to return the "same weight" back to a TV's front suspension that was initially removed due to the effect of a TT's loaded tongue weight being placed on the TV hitch ball. After proper engagement of the WDH spring bars (meeting front suspension requirements) the TV's rear fender height in most cases may still reflect a 1"-2" drop which is normal...., trying to level the TV's rear fender height via the WDH may compromise the TV's front suspension weight requirements (effects steering, braking, etc.).

Another by-product of proper WDH adjustment is that the WDH will also transfer a nominal amount of weight to the TT's axles as well. The weight being transferred to the TV's front suspension and the TT's axle's is being removed off the TV's rear axle via the WDH...., the initial loaded tongue weight placed on the hitch ball for the most part remains the same.

The most effective way to confirm if a WDH is sized/adjusted correctly is a visit to a CAT scale under "loaded" TV/TT conditions. The CAT scale results will also reflect all the TV/TT axle weights prior to and after WDH engagement......, it's interesting to see how the weight is distributed to the various TV/TT axles.

CAT scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

As mentioned, refer to your TV's owners manual for your specific TV's front suspension requirements when using a WDH.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote