Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #1

Weekend is going to the dogs!

We pulled in for our first weekend at the campground where we will be spending most of our summer. I noticed when we pulled in that there were a lot of dogs in the campground.. Which is great as we are dog lovers and travel with two of our own.
Well this morning I was woken up really early with barking coming from two doors down... And it has been basically non stop for hours now. It seems to be one particular family..and the barking is made worse by the people coming out and screaming at the dogs to "shut up" also at the top of their voices... Which I think their dogs are interpreting as "the humans are now barking too.. We better bark louder".
Has anyone had any experience in addressing inconsiderate campers? I don't even know what to say.. If my dogs were acting that way I would take them for a long run to tire them out and then put them to bed... But I do sympathise to a degree, so i dont want to come across as critical, but they are disrupting the weekends of about 100 other family's ....
Should I complain to the office and let them deal with it.. Or will that just make it worse?

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would let the CG office deal with it. If you meet some of the neighbors having issue with the barking dogs have them report it to the office as well...., may help in getting the office to truly do something about it.

I would avoid approaching the "barkers", unless the office ignores your complaint on the matter.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #3

The inconsiderate people with the constantly barking dogs probably hear it 24/7 at their homes and do not even notice them at the campgrounds. I like dogs and own one, but some less responsible owners think their dog has more rights than the humans around them and will defend their dogs to the death. This is a problem that management should make an attempt to stop. I can't tell you to go to a "No Pets" campground because you have two yourself. Maybe, just maybe you will get lucky and the owner of the barking dogs the management, or you end up confronting will be decent and try to work out a solution to this problem. Good luck.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #4

Go to the host or if you are in a State or Corps cg, tell an officer.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

That would get old quick. I would report also to the CG host and let them deal with confronting the dog owners, who will likely be very defensive and ticked that someone ratted them out. Since you're "two doors down," they'll most likely think it's the camper right next to them!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #6

More than likely, the campground has a rule about barking dogs. I would bring this to their attention and let them deal with it.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #7

We are at a seasonal and if you have barking dogs, it is a 2 strike policy. After the 2nd strike you are told to leave the dogs at home. Most folks are really great about the whole thing.
Topher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #8

I love dogs, but can't stand constantly barking dogs (my neighbor has one). I agree with everyone else, let the cg deal with the issue.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #9

Yup, CG host/manager is responsible. Don't know the particulars of your CG but the ones we have stayed at have noise/pet rules. It's a contract.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #10

Last year I was at a campground where the neighbor left his two dogs in the hot trailer all day. The barking drove us crazy but I was amazed someone would leave their dogs in a hot trailer all day. Yes I let them have it when they showed up and they were most apologetic but you can't unring the bell. It was the same campground where we had a visit from a bear. This was partially due to another dog owner who left his dog food out after being told not to by the camp hosts. Luckily the bear ate only the dog food.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
...Last year I was at a campground where the neighbor left his two dogs in the hot trailer all day...
You just can't fix stupid.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #12

While in Lake George (NY) RV Park one year, someone ties their dogs out on a hot day and left for the day. They left them with no water and the poor dogs were whining, barking and seemed just miserable. Several people complained to the park, they came by, didn't see the owners and just left. I ended up giving them water and a couple milk bones and when the owners returned opened up on them and told them that if they did that again I was calling the police for animal abuse! Some people...
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #13

^^^ Good for you, I would have done the same ^^^
Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #14

Any updates??
Topher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #15

Well my problem was solved.. Just not in a way that I enjoyed.
The skies opened up and we had about 12 hours straight of heavy rain.
It was interesting to see how the people with dogs responded to the rain.
Some took their dogs into their campers, some left them outside hiding under a picnic table and one family who owned a $300,000. Coach .. Had their dog living in their car that they tow.. I guess he is not allowed in the coach. He was sitting in the drivers seat whenever we went by, so I guess he has done this before.. perhaps he was trying to start the car so he can escape his fussy people!

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #16

"Owners" and their pets are worth watching. Try to guess which is smarter. There's lots of smart dogs in this fine world and too many don't have to try all that hard.
LadyW, I hope the rain wasn't the solution you were talking about since it's temporary.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #17

Don't be afraid to get involved, knock on the door and tell them to shut their d--- dog up. Why is everyone so afraid to speak up?
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #18

I am hosting in Florida and we can't confront anyone about anything, but we can and do call the rangers. Last year a guy wouldn't keep his dog on a leash. The ranger was called and this guy told the ranger "to go pound sand" (other words were used). The ranger left and came back a few minutes later with the county sheriff. The guy told the sheriff the same thing (booze talking) and the sheriff wrote him a $85.00 ticket for county leash law violation and the ranger booted him from the park immediately. The sheriff stayed and watched his departure advising him that he had better have someone else drive or arrest would happen for DUI.
The good guys win occasionally.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote