Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Weighing in

I have started a small project of preparing a packing list for our fist camping trailer and hoping to keep the weight to a minimum. I am using an excel spreadsheet (although it's not using as much math as I thought) I have organized it by area (kitchen, bath, beding, wardrobe, living, outdoor, sporting goods, RV needs). I used a regular house scale and loaded up a lightweight laundry basket for each area (some areas took two basket loads). Some things I already knew the weight of such as the canoe and other larger items. We still have a few things left to purchase so I can not finish the list quite yet. The completed list will not include food or clothing because that will vary as per trip. So far I at am 365 pounds. When I am done if anyone would like a copy of it I would be glad to share. It would be handy to have as a check list if you are new at packing for camping
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #2

That seems like a whole lot of extra work that I would never have done but at the same time I would like a copy of your spreadsheet when it is done.

Post here when it is available. Maybe a link to Googledocs or something like that.

Thanks for putting in all the work that I'm too lazy to do.

Now, don't worry too much and enjoy the trailer.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalenoel View Post
That seems like a whole lot of extra work that I would never have done but at the same time I would like a copy of your spreadsheet when it is done.

Post here when it is available. Maybe a link to Googledocs or something like that.

Thanks for putting in all the work that I'm too lazy to do.

Now, don't worry too much and enjoy the trailer.
Just anxious to get out there and too much time on hand
Old 03-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #4

Better and easier to take it too a truck scale and pay to have it weighed.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

Ignorance is bliss. I really don't want to know the weight of our trailer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #6

I have found lists are helpful.. With 4-5 kids it's easy to forget stuff. Wealso have a checklist for setting up camp and one for when we pull out. This has saved us lots of money and expense when we have gone to pull away and then realized once we did the list that we had windows unlatched which can break in the wind once on the road, door unlocked, step sticking out, toaster oven unsecured.. We have done it all.. And now do the checklist each time.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Better and easier to take it too a truck scale and pay to have it weighed.
We will probably do the truck scale thing as well, it will be interesting to see just how close I was . Although I can also relate to the " ignorance is bliss comment" my curiosity gets the best of me every time. Like Lady W, I am a list person so I might as well have fun with it:hihi:
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #8

Same thing here Phar0e but even crazier. I've weighed every item going to TT so far.(no food/clothes either but more "always have on hand/TT" items) We have been loading supplies for the first time in new 23k and was curious just how close I was to the weight allowed. I only have 1,148lbs of cargo weight since it's an ultralite weight JayFeather so I wanted to know if I wanted to add/subtract items what I would gain/lose in weight, or just know that in the future I could load whatever I want and never be close to weight limit. I used a bathroom scale and also a digital kitchen food scale for things 11lbs and under. Probably do the commercial scale thing in future but not one close for now. Just so I know a 1lb propane canister actually weighs 2lbs total or how much weight those pots and pans are taking up and what I really need and then I can get to what I want if the weight allows. Doesn't take but a second to weigh it and write it down on the way to the TT. You're not alone.......also told the kids they would have to stop growing or they would throw off my precise GCWR figures..
Reese Strait Line Trunnion Dual Cam WD
Tekonsha P3
cheetahflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #9

Red face

Clearly us women seem to have a closer relationship to the bathroom scale than most men..

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #10

I think this is a great idea! Please post your list. I think I might just grab my scale and start weighing and I am so paranoid of towing to much weight. DH probably will think I have gone nuts
sunstarsmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #11

Okay thanks everyone, brought a smile for my day. Should have the list done by Sunday. Of course there will always be something "extra" to add I expect
Old 03-17-2012, 04:10 AM   #12

I don't give a rip about the weight. If I can fit it in a cabinet or cubby, my truck can pull it. The list, however, is essential to not forgetting something and I use one all the time.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I don't give a rip about the weight. If I can fit it in a cabinet or cubby, my truck can pull it. The list, however, is essential to not forgetting something and I use one all the time.
Yes it's nice to have that luxury isn't it. Someday in the not too distant future we may be in that place with our TV, but for now we need to be just a little more precise. We did choose a TT that will allow for carrying quite a bit of weight so that when we can upgrade to a bigger TV we then won't have to worry about the weight on the other end
Old 03-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #14

Please post your list, I am also interested.
Friendship through Amateur radio - N0SJ
NDScouterHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #15

Well I had to play around with the format of my list. I had it in excel with a formula built in so that if I added or deleted anything it would automatically re-adjust. I changed it to a word document which was too big to attach in this forum, so I had to put it in a zip file. Hopefully that works for those who wanted a copy. If it does not and you really want it, just send me a personal message with your email address and then I could send it as a regular attachment or just paste into the email. As I mentioned earlier I did not weigh everything individually since I only have a regular house scale. I filled a lightweight laundry basket and weighed it and added up each load as a total for each section of the trailer, Kitchen, bath, bed, wardrobe etc. Sometime this summer when we get to a weigh scale I will see how close I came, it will be interesting to see.
Attached Files
File Type: zip camping list weights.zip (14.5 KB, 22 views)