Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2017, 05:27 AM   #1

Well-Seasoned Trailers

Does anyone have experience with continuously owning and using a single trailer for more than 10 years? If so, how did you extend the life of your unit? What tips do you have for a protracted ownership experience? Thank You!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
Site Team

The main thing IMO is to make regular inspections to the roof. Most older rigs I see are damaged by water intrusion, not by being used a lot.

Verify and correct every caulk crack often and keep it clean. Especially inside around the shower. Check underneath for any signs of water around roof openings and water pipes.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #3

We own our own campsite. Our RV was 23 years old when we bought it for $800 and we used it continuously for 27 years. It was to be a hunting camp for me and my boys, but after a few Summer visits, the wife decided she like to be there with us as well.

When the old trailer was 50 years old we bought a brand spanking new Jayco. The deal was a trade-in and we were to receive $100 for her. When the delivery department heard it had 50 year old tires he refused to pick it up. He said they did not have a trailer to haul it back on. So, we had the delivery guy move it to another campsite on our property and she's now our guest house. It was used this Summer when she was 53!

I attribute part of the longevity to the fact that it was up on blocks for all those years. I truly believe highway travel does a coach no good.

I inspect the roof twice a year and in all these years I only had 2 small leaks that were easily corrected with a can of roofing cement.

The only amenities are a stove and gravity furnace that have worked flawlesssly with no maintenance except cleaning. No electric, just a propane light. I clean the orifice yearly and its mantles last for years.

I replaced the hand pump on the sink after about 30 years because the diaphragm was shot. Also replaced the galvanized fresh water tank with a poly tank because the old one rusted.

Only had mice once, and found they were coming down the chimney. A homemade chickenwire cap solved that problem.

We do love our new Jayco with the AC, microwave, electric lights, furnace with a fan and flat screen TV, but we had a a lot of good times and good memories with the old girl.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #4

I had a popup camper that we used for 15 years, it was a great trailer. We used it almost every weekend in the summer, it was used in the snow for deer hunting. It was in great shape when I sold it, the first couple that looked at it purchased it. They had been looking at campers for a long time and could not believe the shape it was in. I fixed things when they went bad instead of letting them go. I didnt have many things go wrong, maintanence is the key. My wife wanted a new hard sided camper or I would still be using the old one.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

In to my 13th season with my 2005 Eagle and with plenty of cross country road miles logged.

IMO staying diligent with preventive maintenance goes a long way on any RV's longevity. Frequent roof, vent, seams, window, and component caulking inspections is extremely important..., along with electrical and plumbing. Regular washing/waxing keeps the oxidation at a minimum and "spot" mold from starting. My TT when stored is outside (uncovered) so I do give the exterior a little more attention then most.

I installed a Dexter wet bolt kit on my suspension a number of years ago and upgraded to a "E" load range tire (original was a "C"), IMO money well spent and enhanced the TT's ability to deal with our wonderful highway system and some of my boondocking destinations. Also applied Eternabond seam tape to the front and rear roof/cap joints....., provides superior joint protection (over existing caulking).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #6

I would mirror what others here have said. Watch that roof and all its seal points carefully more than once a year, especially as the unit ages. Fix stuff that breaks as soon as you can, and keep the mice out with the special spray in foam insulation they sell that's specifically for rodent abatement.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #7

Our Shasta (8 years old when we purchased it-no slides, of course) was 22 years old when we finally sold it to another family in town. They use it to this day, 8 years later. Trailers of that age were not ultra-lites. Therefore, they were made of more sturdy materials. Ours was heavy as lead. We watched the roof carefully, changed out gaskets as they rotted, had to change the fender skirts a few times to keep it looking half-way decent, and replaced the roof vent cover a couple of times. We had the toilet repaired once. The appliances still worked perfectly when we sold it. We took it on bumpy mountain roads all the time, and it never failed us.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #8

In addition what others have said:
Watch insects if you store outside. Had a Rolite for 30 years. Leaned on a wall one spring and went through it. Trailer was in great shape and looked fine inside and out- but carpenter ants had systematically removed most of the 2X2s from inside the walls. It was a total loss.
Owned my second RV, a Sunline, for 20 years. It was in good shape too except for the shower/tub. The plastic or whatever it was turned yellow and became very fragile. Had several holes and cracks and was disintegrating. No way to replace without dismantling a side wall.
So both of those rigs "died" despite my best efforts at maintenances.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #9

I'll agree with everyone else that fresh caulk on the roof on a regular basis takes care of a lot of issues. We had an Eagle 12UDK pup for 19 years and traded up because the set up and tear down was more than we cared for now that the kids have moved on to their own adventures. And a real bed instead of the end mats are easier on the old bones. I don't think we did anything special to keep the pup that long (and sold it to another younger couple to start their adventures in). But if something needed fixing or adjustments were indicated I did them right away instead of waiting. And just being careful and not abusing things is important. Treat the unit with respect and it will last a long time.