Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #1

What do u think about doing this

We r full timing till summer at same location. We leave both black tanks closed and dump when needed. Gray bath we lv open and gray kitchen lower 1/2 bath dump every day or two days. (Sink gray must be way smaller than bath gray) just read on line that most people keep gray closed because sewer fumes will flow to tank and out top vent but also stop at all sink traps. The article said to just take sewer hose where it comes out and make a pee trap right there. Just bend hose down to ground and back up onto the slinky. That way no fumes can back feed into gray tanks. But I have also read to let sink gray fill so food particles do not dry in tank. We use plenty of water in sink and leaving gray open like for bath gray should not be a problem for us. Anyone see a down side to making the pee trap outside with sewer hose. I think it was a great idea
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #2

A P-Trap has just that very same purpose in your house plumbing, however i am not so sure i would do it with a RV hose. In my mind they are not designed to hold the waste like that, and this would encourage a leak. I could be wrong on this, but i would pass on it. As for what others do in terms of leaving the gray open permanently, that is beyond my knowledge.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #3

I used to leave grey open but read about sewer flies once and was creeped out. I have no idea if sewer flies are a real concern, but decided it wasn't worth the potential risk. I now leave it closed and only open to dump. In general it's a bit more hassle but I like knowing I don't have an open port to the sewer.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I used to leave grey open but read about sewer flies once and was creeped out. I have no idea if sewer flies are a real concern, but decided it wasn't worth the potential risk. I now leave it closed and only open to dump. In general it's a bit more hassle but I like knowing I don't have an open port to the sewer.
Funny, I remember reading that same thread/post. We usually have both tanks closed until ready to dump but there have been times on extended trips when I've left the grey open and didn't have a problem. The grey tank[s] will be cleaner if it's dumped at least 2/3 full, same as black. I'm not sure if I'd kink my sewer hose in that manner. What if it leaked/broke while away? With valves closed, no worries.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #5

Well if it did leak it is just gray water. Thinking about sewer flies is bad enough, how about a snake that would take care of the DW ever rving again
Rock
Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #6

Since we winter RV, we actually utilize both methods depending on the weather. We have three gray tanks, the third one is for the washer and on a seperate hose. So I do use a concrete block to form a P-trap so the sewer hose does not fill the washer hose. Also the good thing about closing them all is after you dump the black, you have ample gray shower/sink water to flush, clear and clean the hoses.

2015 Jayco Pinnacle FLSA & 2008 Chevy Duramax

Anxiously awaiting retirement where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 02-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #7

Ok. Sewer flies and snakes. Can't sleep. Lol thank you

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #8

I also full time, and my procedure depends on the time of year and the duration of my stay. During my 4-month winter stay in Texas, I leave my bathroom grey tank OPEN, so I don't have to dump it every 3-4 days. I leave my kitchen grey tank closed, and dump it after I dump my black tank to rinse out the hose. That I do about once a week.

During my summers in Michigan State Park Campgrounds, I typically leave all valves closed, to prevent flies from coming into the trailer - although I still get one every once in a while when I flush the toilet (I think they get into the black tank through the vent stack).

As for making a "P" trap in your "Stinky Slinky", I've seen a few folks at my winter campground do it, and may give it a try. I've not really had a problem with sewer gasses entering the trailer through my open grey tank. That's what the "S" trap under the sink & shower are for.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #9

I keep all my tank valves closed. I do create a trap in the sewer hose as well near the pipe the hose attaches to when I empty the tanks. This prevents the smell from the sewer pipe from going back into the trailer after the tank gets emptied. I then empty the tanks when they start to get near full. Helps to keep the tanks cleaner and requires less time to flush the tanks.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #10

I'd make a trap out of sched 40 and put camping ends on it before I'd try and bend my slinky into a trap.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #11

I read a similar article, or watched a video (could've been the same one, there are plenty out there) and found it made some excellent points.

For me, like many others, it depends. If I open the sewer port at the site and get bugs or a really foul odor, I will make a P-Trap with my hose, or leave my gray valve closed. If I leave the valve open and smell an odor around my trailer, like from the gray vent stack, I'll make an adjustment.

More often than not, I leave the gray valve open though and have never had a problem thus far. As far as rinsing the hose out, I have a black tank flush, and I will fill the tank 2-3 times when I go to dump the tank, so the hose gets a pretty good rinse. In addition, I will often use my "utility hose" to rinse the stinky slinky when I'm done. I will leave the one end attached to the sewer outlet at the site, and spray water into the other end of the hose. Of course, you want to be careful doing this, but it has worked well for me.

Always remember to make sure everything goes in the sewer, and wash hands after.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I keep all my tank valves closed. I do create a trap in the sewer hose as well near the pipe the hose attaches to when I empty the tanks. This prevents the smell from the sewer pipe from going back into the trailer after the tank gets emptied. I then empty the tanks when they start to get near full. Helps to keep the tanks cleaner and requires less time to flush the tanks.
Yep... after many years of doing it lots of different ways... We keep them all closed. Dump the Black when it is getting full, and close the valve - then dump the grey to wash out the sewer hose.

on the day before we pull out - if the black is not full - we help it along with extra flushing and then dump Black/grey. We can usually go at least a week on the black tank, and I dump the Grey once daily. I always have to have something to do outside - this is just part of the routine.

I am sure someone on the forum will ask why... and someday you just might have someone passing thru your space and trip on your sewer hose and pull one end out... and have a mess to clean up the next morning. won't do that again.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #13

Like I said that is what I always did. But full timing till summer and both working leaving both grays open with the pee trap being the stinkey slinky seems to work great. No more damn I need to dump shower or kitchen gray and it is raining out . Today I took the pee trap out of the slinky and drained and flushed both black tanks than put the pee trap bend back in and opened both grays. Now good for another week or two. We use a bunch of water black and gray along with the washer which runs daily. Cannot wait to retire and than enjoy. Watch out for the sewer snakes!!!
Rock
Old 02-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #14

Had to Google sewer snakes. YIKES!

Snake Nest Found In Sewer Pipe - INFORMATION NIGERIA

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #15

Murff
Ya snakes in toilet is crazy. It seems monthly there is an article here in Fl with that happening. And in big Rv parks with all the caps I see left off of drains no telling what is lurking in your slinky.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Old 02-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #16

I really wish I didn't read this thread.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.