Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #1

What do you Jayco owners think about this?

As I was browsing a RV dealer's website, a chat window popped up and below is the exchange I had with a consultant. His name was blocked out to protect the guilty. :hihi: I doubt he's ever been in a Jayco. What do you all think?

System is getting started. [Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:53:01 PM]

Topic: Do you not carry Jayco?

A representative will be connected, please be patient.

????????? enters the chatroom.

????????? 5:53:31 PM
Hello Mark, my name is ??????????.

Im sorry i do not...Quality is just not up to standard

Mark 5:54:32 PM
I find that hard to believe.

Can you explain why you believe that?

???????? 6:06:52 PM
im sorry for the delay...if you walk into one of those and put your hands on them compared to something like a Rockwood it is just night and day.....they sell on there name...now quality

Mark 6:12:49 PM
Well, I have been in them, and I have friends that own various brands and the Jayco owners are the happiest with less problems, so I really feel like you are bad mouthing them just because you don't carry them. I would be more inclined to do business with your company if you didn't bad mouth the competition, but rather give me honest advice on a good alternative.
????????? 6:21:23 PM
Im not bad Mouthing anyone, this is not a subjective opinion....there quality is less than a Rockwood, thats fact, not even arguable....I am trying to tell you why i do not carry them...you can make your decision based on fact or opinion...thats up to you....I am the Largest pull Behind RV dealer in the world....if they were such a good product dont you think i would carry them, we have the pick of whatever we want to carry and have chose not to carry them for 15 years
Mark 6:24:43 PM
Are you the owner of *******?
????????? 6:25:13 PM
I am not....I am an RV Consultant
Mark 6:26:00 PM
Okay. Thanks for your time!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Site Team

I`m going to venture a guess that they sell Rockwood`s.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #3

"They" don't care what you buy, if you buy it from them. If you were talking to line workers who were proud of their products they might, understandbly, take the "better quality" side of the debate.

You were talking to a sales rep who probably had "margin" confused with quality.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #4

The dealer didn't sell them, because there is most likely another dealer in his retail area who carries the Jayco brand.

I have owned two Rockwoods(1 new & 1 used). They are built fairly well as compared to most entry level brands, but don't have the structural quality as the Jayco I now own.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #5

They're entitled to their opinion....and that's all it is. IMO Jayco campers are BY FAR the highest quality campers out there. I've
owned 4 campers, 3 of them Jayco. I buy Jayco because, well, it's a Jayco. Odds are we will never consider anything but a Jayco
because the quality of the others is not up to MY standards. I'm not saying the others are not good, I'm just giving MY opinion,
all $.02 worth, that Jayco leads the way.
"God looks out for the stupid, so I keep Him pretty busy"

2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel in proper Purdue gold and black (the Coally Roller)
2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #6

I don't blame a salesman for pushing his product, and I agree that he's entitled to his opinion, but according to this guy, it's not an opinion, it's a fact. I just found the whole exchange to be laughable. Rockwood is probably a decent product, but this dealer also sells many brands that I believe don't measure up to a Jayco, so to say they don't carry Jayco because of poor quality is just ridiculous.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #7

The "$64,000" question would have been, "Why doesn't Rockwood give you a 2 year warranty if they are so good"?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Sounds like the folks at RVWholesalers. I had an experience with them last month and it turned me off to them and the brand they sell.... One reason Jayco may be harder to sell at a volume dealer is because they require and on-site PDI before a dealer can deliver it. Rockwood and others allow the dealer to basically just ship it as soon as it's prepped at the dealer.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #9

Agree with all the above, especially Soulman, when he says he buys Jayco because it's a Jayco. We also have had other brands, but if and when we need another one, it WILL be a Jayco. Period.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #10

Maybe Jayco doesn't want that guy to sell their brand. If I was a higher up in Jayco then I'd be embarrassed to have that guys grammar and attitude represent my product.

It's one thing to have bad grammar and such in forums and such, but when you're doing business you should spell and speak correctly. JMHO.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #11

X2
Retired at last !

Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #12

We actually did look at a Rockwood Roo, they do throw in a few more "extras" but the overall build quality is not like a Jayco. I'd rather have a solidly built unit, I can add whatever I need to later, having extras does you no good if the trailer falls apart.

Our first new popup was a Flagstaff, which is made by Forest River, same company that makes Rockwood. This thing was something else, the door hung up so bad you could barely get it shut, the roof was over 1/2" out of square, the first time it rained it leaked from both front corners, found several bolts loose on the bed rails, and while on vacation noticed the exterior wall between the front of the box and the door looked "warped". Checking it out, I found the bottom edge of the wall was completely detached from the floor!! There's more, but I think you can see what I think of Forest River. I don't think Jayco is the company with quality issues. Not saying they are perfect, but our 1207 was built MUCH better.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #13

I have owned a Rockwood and as well as three different Coachmen and now a Jayco fifth wheel.
They were all good units but I will have to say that the Coachmen Somerset and the Jayco Eagle
are far better built units.The Jayco warranty is the best of all three.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #14

The RV Consultant was probably talking to you from India...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #15

I appreciate all of your responses. These forums are worth their weight in gold. Several weeks ago I was looking at another brand of trailer before I saw the Jayco, and thought it looked pretty good. I went to their owners forum and never saw so many unhappy customers in my life; scratch that brand. It's great to see so many happy Jayco owners here.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #16

I have owned a Forest River and now own a Jayco. Never had any "quality" issues with the Forest River, and thus far none with the Jayco. The overall build of the Jayco does appear superior, but then again my FR was a 2001. Of course I had issues with the FR, but not related to the quality of their build. Issue with the AC unit, fridge and a few other things. But they were not the fault of FR. If my AC unit goes on the Jayco, do I blame Jayco or Coleman? I believe they are all built pretty much the same. The quality of the componets used will make a difference. There are good, better and best of all componets. Its sorta like the difference between a chevy and a ford. In 10 years I might be able to give a better comparison of the Jayco vs the FR. But, I can say that thus far I am more than happy with my Jayco, and feel I made a wise choice.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #17

I am pretty new at RV shopping and doing comparisons but we owned a Shasta Revere from Forest River and have to say that it was trouble free other than a small leak at the water pump where it just needed a little tightening and one outdoor speaker quit working.
We only went out 3 or 4 times with it then traded it for the Jayco HT.
We love the Jayco but we did have a few small warranty issues, like the faucet was leaking due to a crack, the hole for the electric wires besides the fridge was punched through, the back of the dinette seat had puncture marks from screws coming thru.... stuff like that. Not a big deal, dealer fixed it all up. I think most units have there little issues and with a good dealer and a good company, these get fixed.
We are really happy with Jayco.
But I don't know about the difference between the brands, what makes Jayco better?
I hear it over and over again, from my dealer and the tech as well (they also sell forest River products and Keystone but love their Jayco).
How is Jayco better built?
I'm asking because I'd like to be able to explain to other people on other boards that may ask other than just saying that they have a 2 year warranty.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #18

Well, one item that caught my attention is that Jayco uses 5/8 inch marine grade plywood for floors, and many other makes use 5/8 or even 1/2 OSB board, which is not nearly as strong or durable. Also, the fasteners holding interior cupboards and walls together seem stronger and less likely to break, where a lot of other brands seem to use cheaper hardware which breaks more often. Our 5er is almost 10 years old, and still there are no places where anything is separating or coming apart. The only things negative are that the decals are fading and peeling on one side, and the plastic mirror door catches broke a while back. I attribute both to age, not Jayco lack of quality. JMHO
Retired at last !

Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
I don't blame a salesman for pushing his product, and I agree that he's entitled to his opinion, but according to this guy, it's not an opinion, it's a fact. I just found the whole exchange to be laughable. Rockwood is probably a decent product, but this dealer also sells many brands that I believe don't measure up to a Jayco, so to say they don't carry Jayco because of poor quality is just ridiculous.
I agree with you. I don't do business with companies that have to badmouth their competitors to try and make a sale.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #20

Marine grade plywood sounds great.
Nice to know this stuff. I never knew this.
We'll take good care of our unit and it should last us for at least 10 years until retirement. Then, we are looking at a Pinnacle and a 1 ton truck.
We also would not do business with someone bad mouthing another company.
Cheap and tacky.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote