Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #1

What do you use to load your RV for a trip?

Thinking about getting a collapsible cart of some sort. Right now I make 20 trips with a bin to load food clothes etc... Any recommendations on a good cart?? Thanks!

p.s. 81 and Sunny here today
Old 02-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #2

this is what we have Haven't used it yet, but will this coming weekend. there are different type carts out there. Friends have this one and they love it
http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y&Nty=1&Ntpc=1
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #3

I have found that moving food from the house pantry to trailer is a mental and physical PITA. usually something will have been forgotten.

A full menu is prepared for the trip and ALL food for the camping trip is purchased, then taken directly from the car to the trailer. Even if we have the same stuff in the house. I then stuff the grocery bags into a corner in the trailer. At the end of the trip all remaining perishables are brought into the house using the bags still in the trailer.

I buy small bottles of condiments at the start of the season. I take nothing from the house.

At the end of the season, all remaining food in the trailer (usually canned goods, smore stuff and condiments) gets incorporated into the house pantry and consumed over the course of the winter.

I hate the conversations of "you don't need to get that 'cause I think we have some in the house". This belief always ends up with a second trip to the grocery store.

As for clothes, we use laundry baskets. xfer the clothes to cupboards and take the baskets back in the house. when the kids were little, the basket stayed at the end of the bunks.

beer and soda are in the cooler and stowed under the table. Ice is bought when we get there.

My biggest time and sanity saver has been my grocery process. you may think you are buying more, but it will all get eaten eventually.

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #4

I use laundry baskets to move everything from the house. It takes a few trips, but it has always worked for us. Dry goods in one trip, refridgerated goods in another, freezer goods in another, cloths in another and maybe 2 or 3 trips for shoes (the wife has something for shoes)

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #5

We have clothing in the camper and everything else we need stays in the camper. My fishing gear is in the camper so If I go fishing at home I get everything I need out of the camper. When we food shop for camping it never goes in the house.

Hook up and go.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #6

We use two 17 year old boys...

With the exception of clothing and food our camper is stocked and ready to go..
Each of us takes our own clothes out.. 1 trip.

I plug the camper in the day before to cool down the fridge/freezer, we run to the grocery store and just park the car behind it and load straight from the car to the camper. Other than a few misc. trips we are ready to go.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
We use two 17 year old boys...

With the exception of clothing and food our camper is stocked and ready to go..
Each of us takes our own clothes out.. 1 trip.

I plug the camper in the day before to cool down the fridge/freezer, we run to the grocery store and just park the car behind it and load straight from the car to the camper. Other than a few misc. trips we are ready to go.
othrt than having a 16 and 11 year old daughters. We do the same thing.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistzz View Post
Thinking about getting a collapsible cart of some sort. Right now I make 20 trips with a bin to load food clothes etc... Any recommendations on a good cart?? Thanks!

p.s. 81 and Sunny here today
Not to be sarcastic but if it were 81 and sunny here today, I wouldn't mind taking 20 trips to load the RV .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
I use laundry baskets to move everything from the house. It takes a few trips, but it has always worked for us. Dry goods in one trip, refridgerated goods in another, freezer goods in another, cloths in another and maybe 2 or 3 trips for shoes (the wife has something for shoes)
x2. An improved version is to use a rolling laundry hamper as you can drag it up the stairs and into the door! I use both, but the hamper makes the clothes trips less as you can fit more.

We have the collapsible mesh type during the trip for laundry that gets washed and everything goes back in it and to the camper.

I find that stocking my spices, staples and canned goods in the beginning of the season and leaving it in the cuboards cuts down on my loading. Dry goods and sides are always stocked after the trip once used up.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #10

I go to a nudist park so don't have to make any trips.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I go to a nudist park so don't have to make any trips.
Is it any wonder why I can't sleep ?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
x2. Most of what gets loaded goes in the bed of the truck. Pretty much just clothes and food in the TT. I use a checklist to prevent leaving anything behind.

When finished, we nest the laundry baskets and put them in front of the bed for use as a clothes hamper.

...and what is it about wives and shoes?

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #13

Just little old me. I also use a laundry basket to move things. Just consider it e Tra exercise. LOL But our motorhome is very close, don't have to walk more than 45' back and forth. That is a plus.
2JayBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #14

I hear ya! Typically I'm the one that gets off work early and gets our TT ready and loaded. We try to set everything out the night before but I still am exhausted after making 20 trips between the house and TT (parked at the curb since our driveway is small). I like the collapsible wagon idea.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #15

DW just uses me. Although she really likes telling the story of when I forgot my underwear!
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post
DW just uses me. Although she really likes telling the story of when I forgot my underwear!
I keep an extra set in the camper just for this eventuality. In fact, I keep an entire outfit in the trailer; underwear, socks, t-shirt, sweat shirt, jeans and shoes. I have a paralyzing fear of forgetting my clothes (it's silly, I know).

Anyway, as to the original point: Since our trailer lives in storage with no power, we cannot keep consumables in there. So we use those reusable cloth grocery bags. We have one that lives on the coat closet right by the back door, that's where we put things we don't want to forget next time we have the trailer. I can carry at least 4 of them in one trip if I need to.

We make a meal plan ahead of time that includes a "grocery list" and a "from home" list. When we're buying groceries, we make a special trip to the store just to stock up for our trip; those groceries don't go in the house, they go straight from the car into the camper. We bring the trailer home from storage a week before we leave to cool the fridge down (we have 50A plug at home) and conduct any maintenance or repairs that need to be done.

The rest of the food that comes from our house is on a separate list. DW and I gather in the kitchen, assemble all the things we're bringing from the kitchen, load it all in those cloth bags, and shuttle them out to the trailer. Usually it's only one trip. Our clothes and toiletries are another trip. Truthfully, I'm happy to go out to the trailer for any reason, so I don't mind making more trips.

We have laminated lists that we've made up based on past experience that include things we know we are likely to forget. Between this and having a written meal plan, and grocery lists, we haven't forgotten anything in a long time. All lists get reviewed prior to departure while the truck is hooked up and running (we have a laminated list for towing, setup and teardown as well).

When we get home, all the consumables go back into cloth bags and get shuttled into the house, all the laundry is in a "barracks bag" to go in the laundry room for cleaning, and our toiletries are in travel bags and go back into the bathroom for re-stocking so they're ready for next time.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #17

I bring the trailer close to the front door of our bungalow and start loading things in a box and start putting things away. I don't have s problem with doing that.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #18

Sense I store the trailer at a storage yard, I take everything out on the day, I am Leaving.
I will put everything except the food in the trailer,( cooler) until I get to where I am going.
Will stop at a store to get what every I have forgotten from home.
I cannot even get the dog(buddy) to carry anything in for me.
Attached Thumbnails
016.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie oakly View Post
snip...
I cannot even get the dog(buddy) to carry anything in for me.
And sometimes do you even need to carry Buddy?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #20

We use silicone bread molds to make blocks of ice beforehand. The huge blocks last the whole weekend and then some. We use laundry baskets to carry most everything to the camper. Its not far, right next to the house.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote