Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #1

What if?

Hello, thinking about buying a camper from a reputable dealer about an hour away. There is a dealer that is closer but..not so sure about them. When it come to repairs do you think there would be a problem taking camper where i did not purchase? What if i am out west traveling with new camper and need repairs i cannot do myself? Anyone encounter either of these situations? Thanks, Rick
rickfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Most dealers will perform the work but it may take a few days plus they would still need to get parts likely. Unless it was driveability problem, tires,axles,suspension you could just take it to your selling dealer when you get back
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #3

What if?

Thanks for quick reply. What about taking to local dealer for repairs although i did not purchase there. I have heard some stories about slow service since you did not buy from them? Any experience with this?
rickfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

why would you do this if you just said you didn't know them and trusted the other dealer?

it is only an hour drive.

My dealer is 12 hours from me
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #5

Some dealers simply won't work on something that isn't purchased from them (even warranty items) unless you are from out of town and need emergency service. At best they will do the warranty work but put you at the bottom of the list. An hour away is not a big deal IMO.

My dealer is part of a network called "Priority RV Network". Supposedly if we need service on the road we get priority at a participating dealer. The caveat being if we're near a participating dealer. In some places there are quite a few, in others, none.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

My camper is at a local dealer right now that I did not purchase it from. They simply didn't have anything on the lot that I wanted when I was ready to buy. Unfortunately, the dealer that I did buy from (2.5 hours away) has not been helpfu at all on my issues. I called Jayco. They told me to call the local dealer and if the local dealer didn't want to deal with it to call them (Jayco) back. Lucky for me, the local dealer said it was no issue at all to bring it in.
As far as them taking longer, I am finished camping for the season (since my hunting spots are now close to home) and I winterized it before taking it there. I am in no hurry at this point.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #7

Sales and service can be very different things even at the same dealership. I think you see this a lot at car dealerships as an example. Sales can be great while the service area is terrible. Or, vice versa. Sometimes both are bad. Sometimes both are good.

In any case, I find that most businesses that have a service department want the business regardless of where the original purchase occurred. Money is money and they get paid by going to them vs. going to the guy down the street or miles away.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #8

I had a rough experience at a local dealer that is a Jayco warranty repair shop. I didn't buy my TT from them because I had it prior to moving into the area. The dealer rep told me he wouldn't work on my TT because I didn't buy it there. I appreciated his honesty. They are going to take care of their customers first. But that didn't help me as a Jayco customer either.

I asked the dealer rep if Jayco was aware of their policy and I informed him I was going to see if either Jayco or his dealership was misrepresenting themselves. He was not real customer friendly, but made an appointment for me. I called the dealer a couple of days before the appointment to confirm it, but they had never heard of me.

This all happened at a name you would all recognize. If they're not the biggest in TT sales, repairs, accessories, and insurance, they're certainly one of them. I thought the next time I passed their facility I would tell their manager I wouldn't spend a dime with them in the future. I decided not to waste my time with that, because they don't care.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote