Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #11
We tent camped a few times a year and splurged and rented a pop up now and then. Three years ago we tent camped with some neighbors on what turn out to be the hottest weekend of the year. The DW and I were miserable that weekend and that's what pushed us to buying a TT. I had also had enough of "roughing it" from years in the Army.

2013 26BH ghetto model w/ 4 plain rims and some rust
2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gasser

I have a fever...and the only cure is more camping!
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
DW camped a lot as a kid; me only with Scouts. Once we had a kid, we thought we should introduce him to Nature. Started with a tent we couldn't quite stand up in > tent we could stand up in > VW bus > Jayco PUP > Forest River highwall PUP, and now we're waiting for our Jayco White Hawk 23MRB. (By the time we had our second tent we were camping for holidays like May Day - really do dance the Maypole - and now we've added Highland Games to our itinerary.)

Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #13
We used to tent all the time when we where younger and loved every minute of it. Life got busy and priorities changed. We became tired of spending huge amounts of money every year on hotels/motels/cruises and 3 meals a day. Started to think of different options. Two years ago we rented a beautiful home(very inexpensive, to much of our surprise, but then again we went in the late off season) in Bar Harbor, ME(MDI, should be on every one's bucket list) and we loved the freedom. The owner lived across the street and came over with a Maine blueberry pie. OMG, I had it breakfast, lunch and diner. After being out all day, it was nice to come home and cook what we wanted when we wanted it. Last year we rented a cabin in a campground and again loved the freedom. DH wasn't really happy with the shower, he's a big guy and could only fit one arm in the shower at a time, but he managed with a smile on his face. We started talking about how we used to love to camp, but didn't want to tent and lug all the stuff. We decided, we wanted our own place(but not go to the same place every year), our own bed and our own retreat. Well, the wheels started to turn and we are now proud owners of our very 1st, 2015 27RBOK TT. She will be ours on 05/01/2015 and we are super excited. Kicking myself we didn't do this earlier. The money we could have saved, but that was then and this is now.
2015 27RBOK
2012 Nissan NV2500 5.6-liter DOHC 32-valve V8
TessCiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #14
Got tired of sleeping on the ground.
2003 F350
2006 301RLS
Gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #15
I tented and camped as a kid, love the outdoors. I purchased a couple small used trailers in my 20's just to get my feet wet, and when I got married we bought our first new unit 1996 Jayco 264 BH, with no slides for a family of four, 10 years later we picked up a new 29' Open Road 5'r with 3 slides, and here we are 10 years later again, just dropped off the two boys and pick up a new Pinnacle. I would do it all over again the same, if needed......

2015 Pinnacle 36REQS
2010 F-350 Harley Davidson 6.4L Powerstroke
Short Box Crewcab
6" Procomp Suspension Lift & 35" M/T Toyo Tires
Doug & Nikki, 2 fur babies
Murphy & Chloe are Shar Pei
68 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
Got tired of sleeping on the ground.
This exactly. I camp a lot - like 2-3 times a month. I got tired of tent camping and sleeping on cots or cold blow up mattresses. I camp to enjoy nature, but I don't enjoy it so much sleeping on the ground
2015 Jayco White Hawk 33BHBS Summit Edition
E2 Hitch on 2016 F-250 King Ranch FX4 PowerStroke
Salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #17
Camped in the Scouts for several years. DW and I tent camped early in our marriage. Bought a boat and tent camped with other boating friends at various lakes. Borrowed my folks' Winnebago Brave several times in the late 70s. Had kids and took them and their friends camping at the lake. Rented an RV in the 90s to take the kids to Ontario one year.

Then, we didn't camp for a few years. Kids are now grown and married. DW and I traveled on the motorcycle but we weren't fond of moving in and out of motels every night. Plus she really wanted to take more than two sets of clothes.

From using the loaner Brave and the rental motorhome, we knew we liked RVing. Decided to get one while the grandkids are still small so we can take them. DW likes not having to wash one set of clothes nightly in the motel sink. We both like not sleeping on the ground in a tent.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #18
Grew up with a popup then a small coachman 16 foot camper. Had a blast. Fast forward to having my own kid. Had no money but wanted my son to enjoy the outdoors so we bought a tent. Just me and him as the wife wants nothing to do with it. Used several times a year for 4-5 years. Last summer we were on top of a mountain in West Virginia. At 3 am I had the call of nature. Got up a and dressed to walk across the campground. Did my thing but couldn't get back to sleep. Second night that ground got really hard even with a pad. Finances have improved a little. Bought one on the way home! Decided I was too dang old to sleep on the ground anymore. Truth be known I had been looking off and on for about a year and thought I knew what I wanted. Now after the first small one, I now KNOW what I want, but those dang finances and now my son's college is getting in the way.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #19
I did a little camping as a child in the boy scouts. Then, never again. Life got in the way and I never really thought about it. In 2012, following my wife having a partial knee replacement, we decided since she was more physically able we wanted to get out into nature more, exercise, etc. We were going to the state parks for somewhere nice to go hiking and we thought it would be great to be able to stay overnight in an RV like we saw others doing there.

In May 2012 we bought our first hybrid camper as a trial. It was a used 2008 but with almost no use and like new. We loved it. By December 2012 we traded for a 2013 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE which we have now.

Since May 2012, we have spent about 110 nights in the RV. We go camping out in it constantly. We go during all four seasons as well. We only wish we had looked into doing this a long time ago.
Joelton, TN
2013 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7 Diesel 3.55 Long Bed
2013 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:48 PM   #20
After 20+ years of tent camping my wife and I were tired of all the gear required for tent camping. The time spent setting up once you get there and then all the cleanup once you get back home. A trailer makes it so easy to hookup and be on the road within 30minutes. Setup at camp takes less than 15 minutes and cleanup at home is less than 15 minutes. The only thing I miss is being able drive quickly and get into the way back spots where trailers can't fit. When I feel like camping that way I just leave the wife at home and throw on my backpack and spike tent.

2016 23MBH Elite
2014 F150 SCREW LB Ecoboost
blderman is offline   Reply With Quote