Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

What other brands to consider

I have spent a good amount of my time and research reviewing Jaycos trailers in part because I really like the layouts and designs they offer. While I know no one makes a perfect trailer there are some who make a pretty bad one. I like to shop around before making a final decision. Are there any other brands that would be considered as equal or better than Jayco I should research as well?
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #2

Airstream if you have excessively deep pockets!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #3

The only 5th wheel layout and build quality that I liked better than Jayco was a Northwoods - but they are only sold on the west coast so I never really considered them.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
The only 5th wheel layout and build quality that I liked better than Jayco was a Northwoods - but they are only sold on the west coast so I never really considered them.
There is a dealer near me for them. Based on my needs they have a Nash and a Snow River that would work but for one reason or the other depending on the model the scales lean towards Jayco's favor. However when I started my research Northwoods website was probably the first one I started with but I quickly found Jayco's lineup and been here since then. I have been to a few RV shows and the only other brand that my wife and I have liked on a consistent basis is some of the smaller Winnebagos but their interior styles can be a little out there for my tastes. There are so many brands its intimidating!
Old 05-15-2016, 11:00 PM   #5

I currently have a Northwood Artic Fox. It has been the best RV I have owned and is solid as a rock. If they had a better selection of fifth wheel floorplans for families there would be no question I would buy another. However Jayco has always been on my radar and when I ordered my AF the dealer was just picking up the Jayco line at that time. I have eight plus families we have introduced to camping and all have purchased Jayco products and been very happy with them. Given our current situation and the desire to move into a more family friendly fifth wheel layout I didn't even bother to look at anything other than the Jayco line after eliminating Arctic Fox.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #6

Although I cant recommend something "better" than a Jayco, I will give you my $.02 on who to avoid.

I would stay as far away from ANY Keystone product as you can. My folks have a Mountaineer 5th wheel they bought new. It has been nothing but problems from the beginning. Leaks in the roof, leaks in the windows, landing gear problems, microwave had about caught fire (was glowing red inside and not even running), waste plumbing leaks, shackle mounts breaking away from the frame, shackle links breaking (maybe that was normal wear?), slide out hydrolic system went bad and the list im sure could go on.

The other I would stay away from is Terry (which im not even sure they are in the game anymore). Ive seen a couple with severe water damage from leaking roof and windows.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #7

I've been peeking at the Highland Ridge RVs lately. Specifically their line of 5ers called "The Light". I saw some at a show in January, and they have a lot of nice standard features, AND a TRANSFERABLE 2-year warranty. The units seem to be built well, but I really haven't done any real research on them as I'm just goofing around. I'm not in the market.

The company is owned by Jayco though, so I don't know that it counts as "non-Jayco"?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #8

I ignore brand when shopping for something.

Floorplan, quality of build, proper equipment are primary.

That plan worked great for the new TT.

Not so much for the last new car I bought (VW Jetta 2.0 TDI -y'know, the illegal ones).

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #9

I've heard good things about Primetime and Heartland. Not a fan of Forest River or Keystone.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #10
Site Team

I have owned a couple of other brands. the BIGGEST selling point at least to me was Jayco's 2 year warranty. as apposed to 1 year for the other brands.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:23 PM   #11

In my opinion, the dealer is more important than the brand. You want to buy from a dealer who will provide top notch service after the sale. Spending just as much time researching a dealer can pay off more in the long run than researching various brands.

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #12

It seems like half the products I have seen are either Forest River or By Forest River. Glad I am not the only one who wasn't impressed by some of what I have seen by them.

Funny commen about the Terry. My dad used to own one I think
Old 05-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
Site Team

Arctic Fox.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrowolf67 View Post
In my opinion, the dealer is more important than the brand. You want to buy from a dealer who will provide top notch service after the sale. Spending just as much time researching a dealer can pay off more in the long run than researching various brands.

David

It is refreshing to see at least one person feels the same way as I do. IT seems as though everyone is focused on how big of discount they are getting and price. Yes price is part of the equation, but only part of it.
The hardcore RV crowd on the internet forums contain a lot of shortsighted cheapskates when it comes to their purchasing logic if you ask me.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Arctic Fox.
That's two Arctic Fox, Trailer Life had a write up on them this month and I loved the layout. I'll have to look at that as the next 5W.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #16

We had Open Range (Highland Ridge) and loved it and missed the quality and reliability of it when we purchased our Heartland Gateway. Will never buy another heartland for EVERY trip out something else fell apart or broke and came back to the Jayco and have been very happy in the 9 months that we have owned our Northpoint 377!!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #17
Site Team

Buy one from a company with a 2 year warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 AM   #18

I've bought a sunset trail and a rockwood since I've had my jayco and have had less trouble from both of them than I had with my jayco. The only problem I've had with either of them is the led light string on the awning of the sunset trail has some lights out.

On the jayco
Bathroom sink faucet leaked
Bathroom sink drain leaked
Kitchen faucet leaked
Stabilizer jack broke
Toilet started leaking at base
Under the dinette storage door catch pulled loose completely from the wood
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #19

Starcraft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
It is refreshing to see at least one person feels the same way as I do. IT seems as though everyone is focused on how big of discount they are getting and price. Yes price is part of the equation, but only part of it.
The hardcore RV crowd on the internet forums contain a lot of shortsighted cheapskates when it comes to their purchasing logic if you ask me.
We learned the hard way on our first new camper purchase in 04. We bought a brand new pop up, non Jayco, and, after our first outing, the lift system failed. Luckily, we were home, and unpacking when it did. I called the dealer, and was told there was nothing we could do unless we got it to them, ten miles away. I had to tow it there, half open, with wratchet straps holding all the canvas in. It took them three months to "get around to it" before it was fixed. Upon going to pick it up, I raised the roof to check it out, and immediately smelled wet rotten wood. They had left the storage trunk open, setting outside, and the floor had been ruined by multiple rains. They agreed to fix it, which they did by drying the wet wood out, cutting a strip between the bad and good flooring, then laying fresh plywood on top of that, trimmed with new vinyl and quater round to mask the edges.

Upon shopping at the dealer where we just purchased our new Jayco hybrid, I asked them what to do if a warranty issue came up that made the camper unsafe to tow. I was given a 24 hour contact number to call, that would dispatch a repair tech within a one hundred mile radius, or, send an appropriate towing service to our aid depending on the issue and distance. To top that off, the unit I was interested in, was at another of their lots, an hour and a half away. Without even making a commitment to purchase it, they had it on the local lot the next day, and called us to come and look at it. There was no pressure at any time, and, even though it was a lower end, left over 2015 unit, we were treated as if we were buying a top end RV. That dealer is why I now own a Jayco. That dealer will have my repeat business in the future, no matter what brand they are selling at the time.

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote