Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #41

Looks like the dry weight on some listings is 3047 - so it looks like that % added is there. That gives me 450. Not bad.
jessinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessinwa View Post
Looks like the dry weight on some listings is 3047 - so it looks like that % added is there. That gives me 450. Not bad.
Still easily doable if you pack right.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #43
Lost in the Woods

you can't go wrong with an R-pod. Forest river makes some of the finest trailers on the market. I miss mine terribly. I bought the Jayco because of availability and price but I was looking to buy a Roo for its value.

The X17z may look good in a brochure but the couch and dinette are very short. Depending on your height you may have to sleep with your legs curled up. We went with the X17A because of the larger normal dinette.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
you can't go wrong with an R-pod. Forest river makes some of the finest trailers on the market. I miss mine terribly. I bought the Jayco because of availability and price but I was looking to buy a Roo for its value.

So what would you say are the pro's and cons of the 17 vs rpod? I saw a bunch at the nearby rv dealer so I know I could check them out

Oh that reminds me. There is no sales tax in oregon. If I were to buy a tt there and bring it to washington am I still going to end up paying tax? There is a huge dealer there.
jessinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #45
Lost in the Woods

you have to pay tax where you register..so yes....the rpod is lighter but also more importantly narrower so tons easier to tow.

things I like better about Forest river is the little things...Led lights(jayco needs to shake their heads on this), 14 inch tires instead of 13, black tank rinsers standard ,55amp converter, Fantastic fan as standard( Jayco has a crappy little fan) just to name a few.

things I wanted on my jayco but couldn't get
Old 09-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #46

I would say go with a Jayco pop-up. It has been awhile since we owned our 1207 but after we loaded everything in it for 2 people we only weighed (if my memory serves me correctly) with the A/C 2300-2400 pounds. And we towed it with a Ford Escape.

I sure do miss the pop-up lots of fun!
Old 09-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #47

Interesting thread. I'll add my $.02 based on nearly 30 years of tents, 2 pop-ups, and 2 hybrids. I've towed with Suburbans, a GMC Safari van, a mini-van, a Trailblazer, and my current 1/2 ton PU.

Trailer types - Hybrid vs. Rpod vs. popup - If you like tents now, you'll love a pop-up or hybrid. Hybrids have a lot of floor space and the advantages of a TT in a small package and still have that "outdoors" feel. As said above, we're on our second one in 11 years. Hybrids and pop-ups can be a bit of a pain when packing wet, especially pop-ups. Hybrids are easier in this because its only the bunks ends you have to dry out and since they are vinyl covered, they are easy to wipe down and dry fast.

I've looked at Rpods and they are impressive. You can even get one with a slide out. They are too small for our needs, but these my be just the ticket for yours.

Setup/take down - How long for each camping type? The real answer is "it depends". This can be as hard or as easy as you make it. I've seen tenters and pup-ups set up in 15 minutes and folks with 5vers take over an hour. With each "upgrade" our routine was easier. If we keep things simple we can setup our current hybrid in well under 30 minutes. As it is we have whirly gigs we put up, lights, and a rotisserie grill over the fire pit among other "necessities". It takes us a little over an hour.

Weather - We found a pop-up to be easier to ride out bad weather than a tent, conversely, hybrids to be easier to ride out the weather than a pop-up. Our first pop-up purchase was primarily to get off the ground and not wake up in the middle of a monsoon river (man, I don't miss tenting!), and to have a furnace. We just got back from a trip with our X20E. It rained 8 inches in less than 24 hours in Egg Harbor, WI. Not a drop of water in the trailer. Gotta love vinyl covered bunk ends! The only thing I lost was a good nights sleep from the constant thunder.

Dry weight - Dry weight is a fictional number. It is a weight without the options, without propane, and nothing stored inside. That's not how the trailer is delivered to the dealer. And that's not how we travel. Use the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) as a number to calculate your towing ability. That's the most the trailer can weigh fully loaded and is closer to your real towing weight. Most likely you'll be under that number loaded so you'll still be in your margin. Also, they say tongue weight should be 10%-15% of the weight of the trailer. For planning purposes figure 13% to be closer to reality. I don't know anyone that has a 10% tongue on their travel trailer or hybrid.

Towing close to capacity - I have knowingly towed close to my capacity twice, with 2 different trailers and 2 different tow vehicles. As said above it's doable if you "pack light". It's safe if you are properly set up. But you are also limited on how far you can comfortably tow and in what kind of terrain (flats vs. mountains). Yes people tow 4k pound trailers with mini-vans cross country and in mountains and tell you that it's no problem. I submit that these same folks have never towed that same 4k trailer with a full size 1/2 ton truck to compare the difference.

I have made the comparison. It is far more pleasurable to have margin than to tow close to your capacity. That said its very likely I would choose to tow close to capacity again. The key is understanding what you are getting into, and knowing both the capabilities and limits of your setup.

Keep in mind that your kids are growing and will want to take more "stuff". More stuff = more weight. More weight is harder on your small tow vehicle.

I think you should stick with a pop-up or an Rpod for towability. If you choose a small hybrid, I would not be surprised if you aren't looking at bigger tow vehicles in 12-18 months.

Quote:
14 inch tires instead of 13
I've been trying for years to wrap my arms around that one. Both our hybrids have (had) 13 tires. I towed our previous single axle HTT with 13" tires on a 6k mile trip out west and another trip to Yellowstone and back. I had that trailer for 10 years and only replaced the tires due to age. And I'm in our second season with the X20E with 13 " tires.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #48

DocBrown

Excellent, very informative.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #49
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post

I've been trying for years to wrap my arms around that one. Both our hybrids have (had) 13 tires. I towed our previous single axle HTT with 13" tires on a 6k mile trip out west and another trip to Yellowstone and back. I had that trailer for 10 years and only replaced the tires due to age. And I'm in our second season with the X20E with 13 " tires.
14 inch have of course higher ground clearance. Roos sit higher than Jay feathers but you will have a wider variety of widths and plys in 14 rather than 13....Are 13's bad????....no...they are on mine and going great.

Texassheriff just changed his from 15's to 16's...people like bigger tires
Old 09-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #50
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Hybrids and pop-ups can be a bit of a pain when packing wet, especially pop-ups. Hybrids are easier in this because its only the bunks ends you have to dry out and since they are vinyl covered, they are easy to wipe down and dry fast.

Weather - Gotta love vinyl covered bunk ends! The only thing I lost was a good nights sleep from the constant thunder.
my 2007 flagstaff pop up was all vinyl covered as well....same as a hybrid..I believe all pups are this way
Old 09-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #51

Quote:
14 inch have of course higher ground clearance. Roos sit higher than Jay feathers but you will have a wider variety of widths and plys in 14 rather than 13....Are 13's bad????....no...they are on mine and going great.

Texassheriff just changed his from 15's to 16's...people like bigger tires
Yea, I get the comfort level people are looking for in doing it. But aside from that there is no good technical reason for doing it. It's like the single axle vs dual axle for stability debate. I've had both now and see no real difference. If you are properly set up a single axle is just as stable as duals.

As far as ride height, its not just the smaller tires, its the placement of the axles on Jaycos. Supposedly its for better towabilty. Our previous hybrid was several inches closer to the ground than our current one. I just had to get use to it. After dragging the drag bars a couple of times I learned what kind of driveways to stay away from. Since around 2005 or so Jayco offers a 2" lift kit as an option.

Quote:
my 2007 flagstaff pop up was all vinyl covered as well....same as a hybrid..I believe all pups are this way
Oh, I know that. I wasn't implying otherwise. But I appreciate you catching that. The issue with a PUP is there is a lot more of it to deal with than a hybrid.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #52

We have a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3600lb towing capacity.
Our first trailer was a 1006 PUP. We loved it, the van barely knew it was even there.
The problem we had was space, Mom Dad and 3 kids (15, 9 and 3) need ALOT of room, so we upgraded to an Eagle 14SO ... whew! 14' Dual Axle PUP with a king bed at each end.
The 14SO has a GVWR of 3330lbs, which is still within my Tow rating.

Quite a few people and dealers will tell you "Look at the dry weight, then add the weight of your stuff ..." Personally, I look at the GVWR of the trailer, the maximum it can weigh fully loaded. As long as that number is less than my tow rating, I know for certain that I am safe towing it.

In you first post, you said that you are a single mom with 1 child. (please correct me if I'm wrong) So a smaller PUP one of the 10' or even an 8' would work nicely and you would have no problems with towing safely.

Alternatively, one of the Hybrids X17? should also work well with less setup work, and still be within your limit.

Have fun and Happy Camping!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #53

Welcome to the forum. I started ten camping many years ago and then bought a pop up. Pop ups are great for a quick get away and easy to tow. Our pop up was fine until our son got older and wanted to take a friend along. Gets awful small with a couple of boys when the weather turns nasty. You can always start with the pop up and later move to a TT or who knows you may love and keep the pop up. Happy camping...
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #54

We went from a tent to tent trailer, it was awesome, wasn't hard to set up but all the other things that we brought to make camping better started to take it's toll to set up and take down as we got older....bought a New travel trailer about 3 years ago and never looked back. Anytime you buy something bigger and heavier it is going to ding you more in the gas tank to tow. I own a Dodge 1/2 ton and towing the pup dropped my gas mileage a couple mpgs, with the TT, about 3-5 mpgs less, if you get a pup, keep the weight of the trailer less than 2000 lbs. even though you can tow 3500 lbs, it drops with the cargo that you carry and passengers.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #55

My wife tent camped for years. She upgraded to a used Starcraft xp18. It was small enough to pull with our Wrangler Unlimited. After a year and a half, she was ready to get rid of it. She upgraded to a 238rb. Too big for the Wrangler but fine for our truck. Even if she would've stayed with a lighter model like the SLX line, she would not have bought another hybrid. She wanted a fixed bed. That way there is little set up and breakdown. She can make the bed at home and have everything packed and ready to go. We like to sight see when we go camping and she wasn't comfortable with leaving the bunkends out when being gone all day. So that would mean setting up and tearing down every day. That being said everybody has their own preferences. Some want a TT with a big bed, some a big kitchen area or big bathroom. It's all about what is important to you and what you like. My advice is go to as many dealers as possible. Look at other brands and layout. Then do your own homework. Don't rely on what the salesmen tell you. Is there a RV show in your area anytime soon?