Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #1

Question What should I get??

So I've been searching searching and I just don't know what to get. After years of tent camping with my kiddo we are getting a bit tired of the cold and rain and looking to start camping in April, when tent camping is just too cold. So I'm looking to find something better so we can enjoy our trips more. My vehicle has a 3500 tow rating so I can go with a lightweight trailer or a popup (I think I'll post this in both forums actually!)

I'm leaning toward a popup because easier towing and gas mileage. But I'm also a single mom with a kiddo so I wonder if its too much of a hassle setting it up (as people at campgrounds have told me) and if its just worth the extra ding on mileage and not having to worry so much about set up and go with a trailer (and have the bathroom/shower option as a bonus).

We have a big road trip coming up, and may stop at rest stops for the night (washington to arizona). Whats the ding on mileage of a travel trailer vs a popup?

SO - sell me on your camper!! What should I get??
jessinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

first off welcome

A pop up is extremely easy to camp with. Actually although travel trailers may be easier to setup the maintenance and systems they have over a pop up(hot water heaters,bathrooms,A/C's) can involve more work.

The fuel economy will be different. I went from my 10 flagstaff 208 to my current X17A and the fuel economy dropped by 4-5MPG. Fuel economy will suck either way so I wouldn't concern yourself with it.

My popup was backed in and set up in 1/2 hour..no biggee.. never in a rush as I was camping. My hybrid takes almost as long with the added systems(water/sewer)

Get a popup. you will love it

edit:don't listen to people in campgrounds telling you pop ups are difficult. They obviously are clueless
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #3

Because you're used to tent camping, I doubt that a pop-up is too much work. While I haven't owned one, I have to believe that it's easier than a tent to setup and more comfortable.

The other advantage of the pop-up is that it's easier to tow with less strain on you and the tow vehicle. It's more compact and some can even be stored in the garage when not in use.

Since your vehicle has a low tow rating, I would be inclined to stay the pop-up route. Jayco has the "Sport Hard Wall" series which may be an attractive route as it appears to be really easy to setup and would probably be a good candidate for a rest area / Walmart stopover.

You can download a brochure
http://www.jayco.com/products/campin...and-downloads/
and take a look at the various options. I would personally shy away from a travel trailer because with a 3500# weight rating even the smallest travel trailer is going to be right close to that rating and could be difficult to tow.

As a final note.... I have seen more women (single moms and 2 women pairs) in popup's than in smaller trailers.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Site Team

Just be sure to get the electric lift system! My old pup was manual lift and with a AC on top it was VERY hard to lift. Other than that we loved our pop up. Good luck!

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #5

I have owned two different popup's over the years of camping. I would agree with wvdusty and advise you to buy one with electric lift , also stay with in that towing limit no matter what the dealer says , also you might want to consider your rving requirements might be 5-7 yrs from now. Things like ease of set up, bath facilities, a/c,heat just my two thx
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #6

If you are planning on longer multi stop trips, then I would not get a pop up. Setting up a pop up is not so difficult. But breaking the pop up down, driving to another campground and setting up again is difficult. Particularly when children are around. We got sick of doing this and moved into a travel trailer. There are light weight units that you could tow.
livelylittlecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

pop ups whether they are being taken down or putting up with children is a piece of cake...been there done it MANY times....
Old 09-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #8

Also to take into consideration the climate. There will be times you will have rain when setting or tearing down. You will have to set up to dry out the canvas otherwise you will be dealing with mold issues.

That said we owned a PUP with an electric lift and bathroom, for 9 yrs and yes I did set it up at times by myself, it was work but doable, kept it simple with the packing but the majority of the time DH and I shared the packing, setup and tear down. DD pitched in starting at the age of 5.

I would think a small light weight TT or a hybrid where you can keep the bed closed if it is raining and sleep inside while it is turtled. Packing and clean up would be so much easier than having to pop it up. JMHO
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

I think first towing experience with a 3500lb max TV should be started with a pop up. I truly do. I have many years of towing experience from OTR trucks to utilities trailers to our past pup(missed greatly) and now our X17A Hybrid. I tow as you can see with our Rav4 and I am at max or slightly over but I have the confidence in my driving to know what I am into. To start out with a highside trailer I do not recommend.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maromeo View Post
Also to take into consideration the climate. There will be times you will have rain when setting or tearing down. You will have to set up to dry out the canvas otherwise you will be dealing with mold issues.

That said we owned a PUP for 9 yrs and yes I did set it up at times by myself, it was work but doable, kept it simple with the packing but the majority of the time DH and I shared the packing, setup and tear down. DD pitched in starting at the age of 5.

I would think a small light weight TT or a hybrid where you can keep the bed closed if it is raining and sleep inside while it is turtled. Packing and clean up would be so much easier than having to pop it up. JMHO

Agreed. Pop ups are great if its always sunny and 75. We had one for a while and I'd like to get another as a "weekender". But a hybrid would be the best of both worlds. Space and light weight. With kids, the bathroom is great. Pop ups aren't hard to set up, but offer less floor space, options, and protections from the elements when things get nasty outside. Really just depends on how much you plan to use it, and what time of year.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #11

You might look at the JAYCO sister company STARCRAFT they have several light weights that top at 3,200 and for the 2 of you it would be perfect.

Forgot to add: For one night stops you may not even need to open the bunk.

Here's one: http://www.starcraftrv.com/light-wei...floorplan-main
Old 09-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #12

Whatever you choose, set-up will be a chore for several outings, and then it will be almost automatic as you get used to it.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #13

3500? PUP it is

3500 lbs is your biggest factor, so a PUP would be best.

We had a Flagstaff 10' PUP. Just make sure to get Air Conditioning. That was one of the main reasons that we sold it so quick (1-1/2 seasons). We sweated it out for a week and were back at the dealer looking at hybrids (bought a 19H)

I had a pretty good routine setting up the PUP. Sent the family off to the park and cracked a beer. I had managed to drag it out to about 3 beers

The most PITA part of it was the door.

Derek

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Don't get A/C IMO. Just another mechanical part you don't need and you are currently not used to. keep weight down and keep it simple. Go out and hike or go to the pool if it is hot.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #15

Welcome to the JOF Jess! As you may have figured out most folks on this forum are Jayco fans (myself included).
It's been pointed out that the tow limits on your vehicle will be the limiting factor and as pointed out a Pop Up would probably be your best choice and would give you better mileage than a hard-side TT. I've not owned a pop-up so I can't speak to ease of use (or the lack of) but you sound like a pretty competent and self-sufficient person so I doubt you would have any trouble that you can't overcome. If you have any outings planned in the near future watch for a PUP getting ready to set up or knock down, wander over and ask to watch (and ask questions). In general I find trailer folks to be very helpful.
Regarding the TV and its weight, the yellow sticker on the TT will tell you what it weighs when empty (no water, battery or propane). It will also tell you what the max weight of the TT and "stuff" can be. Let's say it weighs 2000# empty and has a GVWR of 2800#. That means that you can load 800# of "stuff" (don't forget the battery...) before overloading your TT. The weight on the tongue of the trailer should be about 15% of the trailer weight so in my example about 420# (I'm assuming it's loaded to the max). Not only do you need to consider the tow rating of your vehicle (3500#) but also how much weight is on the axles. The yellow sticker on your TV will tell you that (Front/Rear GAWR). Unfortunately the only way to know what each axle weights is to visit a scale and get your vehicle weighed (the CAT scale costs about $10 and you find them at truck stops). You will then know if you can safely add that additional 420# to the rear axle.
I hope all of the posts are not overwhelming but helpful. I posted MANY questions prior to our first TT purchase and always found helpful responses. There is a very detailed set of instructions on weighing your TV & TT here: How to Weigh...
Good luck with your adventure and keep posting your questions!

Oh, in case you don't know:
GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
GAWR = Gross Axle Weight Rating

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
Don't get A/C IMO. Just another mechanical part you don't need and you are currently not used to. keep weight down and keep it simple. Go out and hike or go to the pool if it is hot.
I camped in an non-A/C pop-up for fourteen years. Because pop-ups have so many windows that can be zipped open, a huge amount of airflow can pass though the entire coach.

For the majority of the camping my family of four did in the pop-up, we didn't need A/C or miss it, although, there were occasions where we were downright miserable, especially when camping in places like the Outer Banks of NC. Shade is at a premium at most campgrounds there in the summer and with no breeze in 90 degree heat and humidity to match it's no place to be in this day and age without A/C. The only auxiliary cooling we had was an oscillating 16" fan that, even at night, brought little relief.

A/C is a personal thing. Some folks can live without it, some can't. A/C is a lot like 4WD, you generally don't miss it until you've had it.

We run all our air conditioners (home/TT/vehicle) on what I call the "uncle" method- We don't turn them on until someone hollers "uncle". The only exception is for the cat. In a vehicle, it's on for her safety and comfort. At home, we turn it on if we're not going to be home for a long period of time (like all day) and we have to close the windows due to the threat of inclement weather. Besides, the cat hasn't learned to say "uncle" yet so we have to make the decision for her.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #17

Welcome. I am going to take it back to the vehicle. What is your current Tow Vehicle model, year and trim package. Then we can suggest if there are heavier options to consider from there with better understanding of the TV.

Based on your OP it's a tight margin for a Popup or hybrid IMHO.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post

Based on your OP it's a tight margin for a Popup or hybrid IMHO.
How could a V6 powered 3500lb tow vehicle not be suitable for a pop up

you don't need a dually for everything
Old 09-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #19

I had a 2012 jayco 1007 with my 2 1/2 y/o and new born. Set up was simple, with the power lift of course. Lots of room and fun..oldest boy loved it. Towed it with a 2012 dodge caravan(3600lbs tow capacity) with no problems. I did put airbags in the van to keep it all level..
Happy hunting.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
How could a V6 powered 3500lb tow vehicle not be suitable for a pop up

you don't need a dually for everything
We had a 10' box PUP with a 3000 GVWR and when loaded it was basically at 3000#. Our V6 3500# tow vehicle ('05 Escape at the time) could tow 3500# including a 150# driver, anything other passengers and cargo in the vehicle had to come off what you could tow. So with me and the kids and cargo included with my hubby driving, we basically maxed out our tow rating. That and the tongue weight begged to be more than 350# on a vehicle that could only have a 350# tongue weight. So we are always playing the game of sliding the bikes on the PUP roof rack back or forward to try and get the tongue weight right. We were so much happier towing it when we upgraded to our vehicle with a 5000# tow rating.

As long as the original poster determines what her vehicle can actually tow by reading the manual, she should be able to find a PUP with more towing room to spare than we had. The yellow sticker weight is nice and helpful now, when we had ours it was a white sticker with the dry weight without options and then listed weights of items like the furnace, fridge, etc. that we had to add together to get the real weight. It was easier just to take it to a scale as their numbers never seemed to add up. LOL

I'd probably just beware of the tongue weight, since there is no dry tongue weight on the yellow stickers. And you want to make sure your tongue weight isn't over 350# (assuming that's what your vehicle is rated for).
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote