Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #21

When shopping for our TT we also planned to get a new TV but wanted to pick the TT first so I would have an idea of what we needed. After picking the TT we settled on a Yukon XL based on what the TT sales critter told us. Long story short it was bad info - we canceled the order and found a much lighter TT which we love ( X23B ). Still, the Yukon had very little cargo capacity, which is odd given the cargo space in that thing.

Now 2 years going I've never been happy with being right on the edge of the limits so we swapped the Yukon for a new 2015 Ram 2500. That tows like a dream.

Never trust the sales critter he had even said my '01 Durango would tow the 6500# trailer with no problem. My '01 had a towing capacity of 4000#. My $0.02 is to do your own math and make sure not to be anywhere near the weight limits - being on the edge is risky.
dspeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #22

We are towing a 19RD with a Gross Weight of 6000 lbs with a 2007 Chrysler Aspen with a 5.7L Hemi V8 -- it has the same ratio as yours which means it can tow 7200. The trailer actually weighs under 4000 pounds and has a hitch weight of around 400 pounds. We have the weight distribution hitch and sway bar. We just got back from a trip that took us through the mountains and had no problems. The Aspen is pretty much the same as your vehicle.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #23

So what we are talking about is right-sizing. The right trailer for a given vehicle. Max tow capacities can be deceiving, especially when talking about towing a travel trailer. The reason for that is it's a box. Imagine holding a 4x4 piece of plywood in front of you and running into the wind. Now you get why it's so hard on a tow vehicle.

In theory, if your TV has a max tow capacity of 8500#, it probably could tow a boat or car trailer up to that weight. Both have far lower wind resistance than a box, and both generally have a lower tongue weight due to the design of the trailers.

I personally have towed 2 different trailer/tow vehicle combos close to my rated capacities. It can be done, but it's not nearly as pleasant as leaving some margin. Realistically leaving 20% or more makes for a very nice towing experience.

All that said, why not wait a year until you get the 2500 then get the trailer you really want?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #24

One of the things not mentioned, is to call Dodge up with your vin number, not the local dealer. They will tell you all the build information about your particular vehicle, including what accessories such as transmission cooler you have. They can tell you how it is calculated, with what static loads. Dodge was very good to work with when I called them, they gave me a lot more information than I expected.

As others commented on, a CAT scale is very helpful as it will tell you your vehicle load prior to adding a TT. This will let you know what your max tongue load can be, which will help determine the max trailer load. From there it is very wise to reduce the max load so you have a factor of safety for unexpected travels.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #25

When we bought our first tt 32' we had a Chevy 1/2 ton z71 rated to pull 9600lb
Trailer was loaded was 8800 the truck did ok here in Missouri but never really got in a hurry I just let it do it thing on the hills .Well a big gust of wind grabbed US and about put us off the road it scared both of us enough that now I have a 1 ton and she got a 5 th wheel
Just because something if rated for it does not make it safe in the real world. Good luck and enjoy what ever you buy.
Fuldraw2015 is offline   Reply With Quote