Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #1

What valve is for gray water?

I am on my first camping trip with my 2016 Jayco 287bhsw. I have water and power, but no sewer. After doing the dishes once and one shower, the gray water tank is almost full. I am going to get a gray water transport tank, but need to know what valve is gray water and what valve is black water. I would hate to make the mistake of opening the black water valve to drain the gray water into the porta tank. Unfortunately the rv dealer lost the owners manual and have to order me a new one and the online one i found does not say. Thanks
lpasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #2

Every tt I have seen, there are labels on the side wall above the handles informing you which valve is for which tank.

If you have an open underbelly, the tank directly under the toilet is the back tank, the other is the Grey tank.

Hope this helps.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

If you look at valves you can also tell by the size of the valve and pipe too. The grey water is the smaller of the two.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #4

My grey water has a grey pull handle.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #5

Figured it out. Thanks
Old 06-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #6

What was your solution? I hope it wasn't 'messy' one.

Posting what you did could help someone else in a similar situation.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:16 AM   #7

Geez, every unit I have had, the dump valves were clearly labeled. Never seen one that was not unless an owner had removed them for some reason!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #8

My TT valves are not labeled. The black handle has faded to a dark grey and looks the same color as the grey valve handle. Think I'll spray the grey handle with some light grey paint for plastic to make it easier to identify.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #9

Our Whitehawk has 2 grey tanks with two seperate grey handles. One for the bathroom grey water (shower) and the second is for the galley (kitchen sink).
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #10

Had the same question... looking for the right handle in the night with a LED Flashlight is a mistake as both handles look the same color... Had to wait until morning and let natural light show the differences in the handle color. Wished they wrote BLACK on one of them.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #11

well just remember the gate valve and size of pipe is easily visible ... the gate valve for black is 3 or 4 inches and grey is 1 1/2 to 2 inches diameter
Old 06-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #12

OK, I am knowingly taking this thread down a rabbit hole, but I can't help it.
I'm just amazed that you managed to fill a 39 gallon grey water tank with one shower and doing dishes just once.
Unless you almost always camp where there are sewer hookups, you should probably look into how to conserve water. Military showers are what many of us routinely do. You get just as clean and you use a minimal amount of water. With 2 people, we can normally go about 5 or more days without filling the GW tank and ours is just 30 gallons. We wash and rinse our dishes by putting a dishpan in the sink, and then we dump that into the toilet, since our BW tank rarely fills and the soapy water helps with making things more slippery in that tank.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #13

Thanks for the rabbit trail....we tend to waste more water than we should. Gotta remember to use he basin to rinse the dishes and then use it to flush.
Point taken. Thanks.

As for the valve handles, out last 5er didn't have the valves marked so I simple wrapped white electrical tape around the handle of the grey tank and left the black alone. The galley tank was way in the back of the coach and the valve was accessed way back under the slide so it was a no brainier. Never mistook the black and grey after the tape wrap.
Easy and cheap....
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
well just remember the gate valve and size of pipe is easily visible ... the gate valve for black is 3 or 4 inches and grey is 1 1/2 to 2 inches diameter
Not our Jayco... Both are the same size
Attached Thumbnails
IndyDrain.jpg  
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #15

Weird on all I have owned the grey was always a smaller line coming in to the dump valve
Old 06-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #16

My valves are marked on the side of trailer above the valve with a decal... seems weird not to have them marked either
Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #17

Ok Thanks everyone. I am now back with good internet and out of the woods. Lucky there was a dump site down the road from our camp. After looking at it, there were decals on the side of the trailer itself with the words " gray water" and "black water" side by side. The decals were a few feet ahead of the valves them selves. Both valves are 4" and both are black. In fact both tanks and pipes are also black. The gray water was on the left and black water on the right. I got a cap that has a garden hose adapter so i can drain gray water if i am in the woods or drain gray water in a tote to drain somewhere else if i am with out sewer. I am kinda looking at the totes that have wheels and handles, but a guy on youtube posted a video of the 7 gallon water jugs he spray painted and uses for his gray water. He fills the jugs and throws them in the back of his pickup and drains in the dump stations.

If i am without sewer, you guys are right on the military style showers. lol getting the kids to listen will be another thing. I would like to find a better spray nozzle for the outside shower. I saw a youtube video where a guy used a house kitchen sink sprayer and connected it to his outside shower and it had lots of pressure but had to make a makeshift adapter to make it work. With that, i think one could wash some dishes and the BBQ trays outside as well as clean shoes from mud better.

Thank you again everyone for your help.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:47 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpasco View Post
I saw a youtube video where a guy used a house kitchen sink sprayer and connected it to his outside shower and it had lots of pressure but had to make a makeshift adapter to make it work. With that, i think one could wash some dishes and the BBQ trays outside as well as clean shoes from mud better.

Just go to Lowes and get one of these adapters. Screw it to the shower nozzle and attach a garden sprayer or another section of hose. BTW the mod is great for washing grill and also dogs because you can mix the water temperature.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1952.PNG   IMG_1951.jpg  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #19

My TT has black and grey handles.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:36 AM   #20
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpasco View Post
Ok Thanks everyone. I am now back with good internet and out of the woods. Lucky there was a dump site down the road from our camp. After looking at it, there were decals on the side of the trailer itself with the words " gray water" and "black water" side by side. The decals were a few feet ahead of the valves them selves. Both valves are 4" and both are black. In fact both tanks and pipes are also black. The gray water was on the left and black water on the right. I got a cap that has a garden hose adapter so i can drain gray water if i am in the woods or drain gray water in a tote to drain somewhere else if i am with out sewer. I am kinda looking at the totes that have wheels and handles, but a guy on youtube posted a video of the 7 gallon water jugs he spray painted and uses for his gray water. He fills the jugs and throws them in the back of his pickup and drains in the dump stations.

If i am without sewer, you guys are right on the military style showers. lol getting the kids to listen will be another thing. I would like to find a better spray nozzle for the outside shower. I saw a youtube video where a guy used a house kitchen sink sprayer and connected it to his outside shower and it had lots of pressure but had to make a makeshift adapter to make it work. With that, i think one could wash some dishes and the BBQ trays outside as well as clean shoes from mud better.

Some tips:
  • We camp in PA state parks that often only have electric hookups. In these cases we use the campground facilities for high-water usage activities such as real showers and dish washing.

• Most campground discourages dumping grey water on the ground or washing dishes anywhere but in the approved sinks.

• I had a 22 gallon tote for my last camper and it came in really handy.

• We bought a shower head with an on/off switch so you can set the water temp once then turn the water on/off as needed.

• ...you have an outdoor shower? Ours doesn't.

Anyway, good luck. I try to gently remind my wife whenever she says she's going to do dishes or really any time she's reaching for the faucet.
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote