Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 AM   #1

What's missing from my propane holder?

The attached picture is from my propane tank holder. Sorry for the sideways angle, the mobile app kept flipping it.

I need to replace the regulator (not pictured) since both the hose is cracked, and it was the old plug type. The old regulator just flopped around, it wasn't mounted.

I've purchase a new auto switch over dual tank regulator. Now I'm trying to figure out how to mount it. The tank holder I have is welded to the frame, so I can't remove it easily.

I've seen some pictures online of new tank mounts, and they have a little metal bracket that goes over the threaded rod, and the regulator gets mounted to that. Anyone know what that is called, or where I could find one?

The is off a 95 jayco 1207.
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1401277696765.jpg  
Mpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #2

Looks like the tank holder is sitting at the bottom of the rod. You should be able to just lift it up the rod and then hook the little notches over the edges of the tanks and you're good to go.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpking View Post
The attached picture is from my propane tank holder. Sorry for the sideways angle, the mobile app kept flipping it.

I need to replace the regulator (not pictured) since both the hose is cracked, and it was the old plug type. The old regulator just flopped around, it wasn't mounted.

I've purchase a new auto switch over dual tank regulator. Now I'm trying to figure out how to mount it. The tank holder I have is welded to the frame, so I can't remove it easily.

I've seen some pictures online of new tank mounts, and they have a little metal bracket that goes over the threaded rod, and the regulator gets mounted to that. Anyone know what that is called, or where I could find one?

The is off a 95 jayco 1207.
If you have a local propane dealer they may be able to help you get the bracket to hold the regulator. I would wait till I got the new regulator in hand so you can have it to match the mounting bolts.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #4

As someone else said, the tank holder is at the bottom of the threaded rod. My regulator slips down over the threaded rod and rests on top of the tank holder. I don't remember if the bracket on my regulator is permanently mounted to the regulator, or if is removable. The large wingnut then screws down to hold the whole mess down. I would think any rv dealer would have exactly what you are looking for even if you call it a thingamabob, they should figure it out with a description.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Site Team

Here are 2 shots of mine. There is a bracket that holds the reg and slides up and down. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401295194.028406.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	13279Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401295212.225300.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	13280
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Ok!

Between jenoble99 and nroty1, I think I've got this figured out.

The regulator came mounted a bar that has a hole on it. (Almost like norty1's, but without the bottom part hole).

I just need to figure out how to get the wingnut off. I tried unscrewing it, but it bound up. Probably needs some PB-Blaster to work it loose.

Norty1, how long are the pigtails you have? I need to order new hoses.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #7

You need to orient the regulator vents to protect them from dirt and moisture....hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Checking your Regulator.jpg  
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #8

Thanks, I did check the orientation of the regulator when I bought it, but was unaware that both stages had vents.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Site Team

My pigtails are 1 ft long. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401314639.582710.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	13287
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #10

You and I are on the same project this week. My camper didn't have the mount and the tanks and cover were zip tied on. Didn't notice when I bought it, until it was time to fill the tank. If you can't find the bracket, my local dealer has stacks of them new, I can't imagine they were very expensive. I paid $39 for the whole setup with the tank mount, rod, wingnut, and bracket you need.
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #11

Project completed.

I picked up a regulator from Tractor Supply Store (I had a store credit there I've been searching for a way to use). The RV dealer in town keeps a large parts inventory. I know I paid more for the hoses, but on the plus side, I KNOW all the fittings are correct, and he even showed me where to put the LP gas sealent tape. (I would have assumed every connection, but I was wrong, it ended up only being where the regulator screws in).

Took the threaded rod off, and put the whole smash together.

Next week, I'll go back and get the fiberglass / plastic propane cover he has. Again, it a couple dollars more at the camper place, but he said if it didn't fit, he'd take it back opened.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #12

My propane tanks hold downs are like these google photo imagee. I have the bar across both tanks under the wing nut. This is where I have drilled a hole thru both the wing nut and the bar to use a long lock shaft to better secure the propane tanks from thief.

My regulator and propane selector hangs off the other side side.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:54 AM   #13

Here's what I'm dealing with. Added the correct mounts now the cover won't fit due to the lines being to short. I either need a longer bottle hose, or a longer regulator supply hose and move the regulator under the cover onto the supplied mount. It's currently mounted to the camper front and will leave 4 holes. I can't find the correct sized supply line to the regulator anybody know what size it is?

silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:53 AM   #14

That is an interesting dilemma.

How time / money do you want to spend?

Cheapest option is to find the supply hose. (Mine was 11 dollars), and relocate your existing regulator to the included stand. Use a little sealant to seal up the holes. (Silicon? I'm sure people have opinions on what's best for your material). At this point, your Bottle hose might be TOO long, so you might need shorter one. (So maybe NOT the cheapest option)

Easiest option is get a longer bottle hose. The bottle hoses appear are more expensive. (The 18" inchers I got were like 15 dollars, but I see on Campers world 30 inches for 20 bucks) (Finding those hose seems to be really hard, so maybe NOT the easiest option)

Expensive option is:
Thow away everything and do what I did (All of my stuff was broken, so I had to anyways). New supply hose long enough, to put a new auto change over regulator on the mounting bracket (Some of the regulators are already mounted), and two new short pigtails. I got 18", but if I did it again, I'd go with 12".

Here's the only supply hose I've found online:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ly/55147#qanda

Don't know if that's long enough.

I bought mine from a local RV dealer's part shop.

So what the RV Dealer taught me, Flare threads do NOT need LP pipe wrap (Yellow Tape). Pipe threads DO need LP pipe wrap. For me that ended up only being the regulator.

Don't forget to check with a soapy solution looking for leaks when you're done.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:12 AM   #15

Oh, to replace everything, it was about $100.